Luminescence decay kinetics with bimolecular terms

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of kinetic equations to describe exciton-exciton interactions in a crystal with high excitation density. The first equation describes the exciton concentration, while the second equation is the kinetic equation for the correlation function. The origin of this equation is not fully understood, but it is known to follow the same laws as the physical quantity it is connected with. Further research and citations are needed to fully understand this concept.
raul_l
Hi

I wonder if anyone could help me with this.
I'm studying a crystal whose luminescence is excitonic in nature. Since the excitation density is high (with femtosecond laser pulses) exciton-exciton interactions have to be taken into account. The following kinetic equations are used to describe the situation:

[tex] \frac{\partial n(\vec{r},t)}{\partial t} - D \triangledown ^2 n(\vec{r},t)= \frac{n(\vec{r},t)}{\tau} - n^2(\vec{r},t) \int{w(r) g(r, t) dV} [/tex] (1)

[tex] \frac{\partial g(r,t)}{\partial t} - D \triangledown ^2 g(r,t) = -w(r) g(r,t) [/tex] (2)

where n(r,t) is the exciton concentration, D is the diffusion coefficient, tau is the luminescence decay time, g(r,t) is the correlation function, w(r) is the energy transfer rate between excitons (here it's the Förster model with [tex] w(r)=\frac{1}{\tau}\frac{R_0}{r} [/tex] but it doesn't matter) and r is the distance between excitons. The last term in Eq. (1) is the bimolecular term that describes excitonic interactions.
The second equation is the kinetic equation of the correlation function. This is the part I don't understand. Where does it come from? A colleague told me that it is generally known that the correlation function follows the same laws as the physical quantity it is connected with (in this case n(r,t)) and therefore has a similar kinetic equation. But that doesn't help much. I haven't been able to find any derivations or explanations for why Eq. (2) holds.
For example, here A. N. Vasil'ev, IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. 55, 1054 (2008) Eq. (3) it is simply stated that that's the case.
I've tried googling this but I'm not even sure what the right keywords would be. Correlation dynamics? Bimolecular kinetic equations?

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong section. It isn't homework but I could still use some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, turns out it's not a trivial question at all.
It involves some pretty complicated kinetics of bimolecular reactions and I eventually founds the answer in V. Kuzovkov, E. Kotomin, Rep. Prog. Phys. 51, 1479 (1988) and in the citations therein.

1. What is luminescence decay kinetics with bimolecular terms?

Luminescence decay kinetics is a branch of science that studies the rates at which luminescent materials emit light. Bimolecular terms refer to the probability of two molecules interacting with each other during this process.

2. How is luminescence decay kinetics with bimolecular terms measured?

Luminescence decay kinetics with bimolecular terms is typically measured using specialized instruments such as a spectrofluorometer or a time-correlated single photon counting system. These instruments allow for the measurement of the intensity of emitted light over time.

3. What factors affect luminescence decay kinetics with bimolecular terms?

Several factors can affect luminescence decay kinetics with bimolecular terms, including temperature, concentration of luminescent material, and the presence of other molecules that can interact with the luminescent material.

4. What is the significance of studying luminescence decay kinetics with bimolecular terms?

Understanding luminescence decay kinetics with bimolecular terms can provide valuable insights into the behavior of luminescent materials and their applications in fields such as bioimaging, chemical sensing, and optoelectronics. It can also aid in the development of more efficient and stable luminescent materials.

5. How does bimolecular interaction affect luminescence decay kinetics?

Bimolecular interaction can affect luminescence decay kinetics by either enhancing or quenching the emission of light. This is due to the transfer of energy or charge between the interacting molecules, which can alter the rate of luminescence decay. Understanding these interactions is crucial in controlling and optimizing the luminescence properties of materials.