*May be a stupid question* Does Oxygen/Nitrogen bend space-time?

In summary, matter and energy bend space-time according to general relativity. The level at which it bends depends on the amount of matter present, with the Kretschmann invariant being one measure of this curvature. Even at the level of individual atoms, there is a significant amount of curvature, with the surface of the nucleus having a much higher curvature than the surface of the Earth.
rationalist76
I understand that matter and energy bend space time, yet i am curious as to the level at which it requires to bend it. This is obviously an elementary leveled question, but i am quite curious. Also, is there any level of matter that is incapable of bending space-time? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/March01/Carroll3/Carroll6.html" is the explanation that I'm aware of and yes it would make sense that all matter would bend space time but not as much as a planet or a star.

Last edited by a moderator:
rationalist76 said:
I understand that matter and energy bend space time, yet i am curious as to the level at which it requires to bend it. This is obviously an elementary leveled question, but i am quite curious. Also, is there any level of matter that is incapable of bending space-time? Thank you!

All forms of matter and energy bend spacetime according to general relativity. As for significance, you don't specify whether you mean atoms of oxygen or nitrogen, or a blob of gas (or how much gas). Assuming atoms, and assuming 'near the nucleus', one measure of 'amount of curvature' is the Kretschmann invariant. This invariant next to the nucleus of a Nitrogen atom is over 25 orders of magnitude greater than at the Earth's surface. Thus, one might expect strong tidal gravity at the surface of the nucleus compared to the surface of the earth.

PAllen said:
All forms of matter and energy bend spacetime according to general relativity. As for significance, you don't specify whether you mean atoms of oxygen or nitrogen, or a blob of gas (or how much gas). Assuming atoms, and assuming 'near the nucleus', one measure of 'amount of curvature' is the Kretschmann invariant. This invariant next to the nucleus of a Nitrogen atom is over 25 orders of magnitude greater than at the Earth's surface. Thus, one might expect strong tidal gravity at the surface of the nucleus compared to the surface of the earth.

thank you

1. Does Oxygen/Nitrogen have enough mass to bend space-time?

Yes, Oxygen and Nitrogen, like all matter, have mass which contributes to the bending of space-time. However, their individual masses are not significant enough to cause noticeable effects on space-time.

2. Can Oxygen/Nitrogen create gravitational waves?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of general relativity, any object with mass can create gravitational waves. However, for Oxygen and Nitrogen, the effects would be extremely small and undetectable.

3. How does Oxygen/Nitrogen contribute to the curvature of space-time?

Oxygen and Nitrogen, along with other elements, make up the mass of celestial bodies such as planets and stars. Their mass, combined with the gravitational pull of these bodies, contributes to the curvature of space-time around them.

4. Can Oxygen/Nitrogen alone bend space-time?

No, individual elements such as Oxygen and Nitrogen do not have enough mass to cause significant bending of space-time. It is the combined mass of celestial bodies that creates noticeable effects on the curvature of space-time.

5. Is Oxygen/Nitrogen responsible for the expansion of the universe?

No, the expansion of the universe is primarily driven by dark energy, a mysterious force that makes up about 70% of the universe. Oxygen and Nitrogen do not play a significant role in this process.