What is the Domain and Range of y=2(3^x)-1?

In summary, the given equation y=2(3^x)-1 has a domain of all real numbers, and a range of y≥-1. The x-intercept is approximately -0.63 and the y-intercept is 1. There is no vertical asymptote, but the horizontal asymptote is y=-1. To find the domain and range, it is helpful to graph the function and look at the table of values. The x-intercept can also be found algebraically by solving the equation 0=2(3^x)-1. There is no need to graph this equation to find the asymptotes, but graphing can help to visualize the relationship between this equation and the graph of 3^
aisha
I was given the equation y=2(3^x)-1 and was told state the domain, range, x-intercept(s) y-intercept(s) and asymptote(s)
I graphed the equation and I think the x-intercept is -0.63
I subbed in 0 for the x value on the graphing calculator and got y-intercept=1
the vertical asymptote is the same as the x-intercept so this =-0.63 and then the horizontal asymptote always equals 0.

If this is all right then I would like to know how to find out the domain and range? :confused: Can someone please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
look into the definition of domain and range
Domain :: Those values of x for which the function is defined on [tex]\R[/tex]
Range :: The value function takes on the domain

himanshu121 said:
look into the definition of domain and range
Domain :: Those values of x for which the function is defined on [tex]\R[/tex]
Range :: The value function takes on the domain

I know the definition domain is all the values of x that satisfy equation, and range is all the values of y that can satisfy the equation, but I don't know how to figure them out, and don't know if the other stuff I did is also right? :redface:

Can you find the range of the function 3^x?
Can you use this to find the range of 2(3^x)?
Can you use this to find the range of 2(3^x)-1?
It might help if you think of the graph of 3^x, and how the graph of your function relates to it.

The domain should be easier-are there any values of x where your function is undefined?

You say your x-intercept came from graphing it-can you find the x-intercept algebraicaly? Same with the y-intercept, you should be able to find y when x=0 by hand.

This is a fun question. I think you will get the best results from graphing and looking at the table. There is certainly an asymptote for y, and knowing that the domain and range should come quite easily.

-EDIT: With this question, it is most important to realize your calculator will round the answers in the table.

Last edited:
It's not really necessary nor even helpful to graph this. The domain is, as you say, "all values of x which satisfy the equation" which means all values of x for which you can perform the operation. Here, y= 2(3x)-1. Are there any values of x for which you can't find 3x? As far as the range is concerned, it is helpful to remember that 3x is never negative.

The limit on [tex]2 ( 3^x )[/tex] just becomes more apparent after the equation is graphed if it is not immediately obvious.

OK guys I think I got the domain = {x:XER} and the range {YER,y>=1}
Is this right?
also can someone show me how to write how to find this out? I guesed looking at my calculator, and the table of values.

Also is my x-intercept = -0.63?
and my y-intercept is 1

um I think there is no vertical asymptote but don't know y? :yuck:
but the horizontal asymptote is 0?

but the horizontal asymptote is 0?
I was under the assumption that an asymptote was a line the function would not cross, and this function does cross the line y=0.

and the range {YER,y>=1}
Incorrect, there is no problem when y is less than 1

ok sorry I meant {y: y<=-1,YER} Is that right? There is no vertical asymptote, or horizontal asymptote because this is not a reciprocal function? Is this a good reason? My x-intercept is correct? -0.63? please help me out! :cry:

Yes, you are almost right. Your only error was saying y could equal -1. It's
y > -1. Also, would not the horizontal asymptote be y=-1? And yes, the x-int is roughly equal to -0.63, but were I you, I would come up with n exact value for the x-into algebraically.

K i m sooo dumb I m going to find the x intercept algebraically but got stuck at 1/2=3^x how do i get the 3 on the other side?

aisha said:
K i m sooo dumb I m going to find the x intercept algebraically but got stuck at 1/2=3^x how do i get the 3 on the other side?

ONLY THROUGH LOGARITHMS.But if a were u,i'd put my computer to plot "3^x" and find the interception with the horizontal line "y=1/2".

which would be log base 1/2 of 3 = x . this means that (log base 10 of 1/2)/(log base 10 of 3) = x or so i think please correct me.

Soo is the horizontal asymptote x=-1? and the vertical x=-0.63? IM NOT SURE :cry:

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT? :confused:

Last edited:
aisha said:
Soo is the horizontal asymptote x=-1?

Yes. If you take the limit as x goes to negative infininity, you get y=-1.

and the vertical x=-0.63? IM NOT SURE :cry:

There is no vertical asymptote. A vertical asymptote occurs at an infinite discontinuity, but the exponential function is continuous for all x.

What is the domain of the function Y=2(3^x)-1?

The domain of this function is all real numbers, since there are no restrictions on the input value x. In other words, x can be any real number and the function will still be defined.

What is the range of the function Y=2(3^x)-1?

The range of this function is all real numbers greater than or equal to -1. This is because the exponential function 3^x can never be negative, and when multiplied by 2 and subtracted by 1, the result will always be greater than or equal to -1.

What is the behavior of the function Y=2(3^x)-1 as x approaches positive or negative infinity?

As x approaches positive infinity, the function will also approach positive infinity. This is because the exponential function 3^x grows without bound as x increases, and when multiplied by 2 and subtracted by 1, the result will also grow without bound. Similarly, as x approaches negative infinity, the function will approach -1.

What are the x-intercept(s) of the function Y=2(3^x)-1?

There are no x-intercepts for this function, since the exponential function 3^x can never equal -1. This means that the graph of the function will never intersect the x-axis.

What are the y-intercept(s) of the function Y=2(3^x)-1?

The y-intercept of this function is -1, since when x=0, the function becomes Y=2(3^0)-1=2(1)-1=1-1=0. This means that the graph of the function will intersect the y-axis at the point (0,-1).