Need help choosing suitable power supply for DC motors

In summary, the person is looking for a power supply that can run two 24V DC motors in parallel using a regular 240VAC socket. The motors have a full load current rating of 15A and the person has searched for suitable power supplies but has not found any that meet their specifications. They are unsure whether a transformer, inverter, or switching power supply would be best and are open to changing the configuration. They have also considered a 24V battery charger as a potential solution.
MHassaan
Hi everyone,

I need a suitable power supply that runs off 240VAC (a regular mains socket found at home) to power two DC motors in parallel.

The motors are each rated at 24V, and have a full load current rating of 15A.
I've performed a search, but the power supplies I've found are either too large or too small in terms of specifications.

What type would be best? A transformer? An inverter? A switching power supply? Are there any out there that are suitable for this configuration, or should I change it?

I am a complete beginner when it comes to electricals so please go easy on me... ;)

Engineering news on Phys.org
i'd suggest a 24 volt battery charger.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a power supply for DC motors?

When choosing a power supply for DC motors, there are several factors that need to be taken into consideration. These include the voltage and current requirements of the motor, the type of motor (brushed or brushless), the intended use of the motor, and the efficiency rating of the power supply.

2. What is the difference between a brushed and brushless DC motor, and how does it affect my choice of power supply?

A brushed DC motor uses physical brushes to transfer power to the rotating armature, while a brushless DC motor uses electronic commutation for power transfer. This means that a brushless DC motor requires a more complex and precise power supply to operate effectively, while a brushed DC motor can typically operate with a simpler power supply.

3. Can I use a power supply with a higher voltage or current rating than what is recommended for my DC motor?

No, it is not recommended to use a power supply with a higher voltage or current rating than what is recommended for your DC motor. This can cause damage to the motor and potentially be a safety hazard. It is important to match the power supply specifications to those of the motor for optimal performance and safety.

4. How do I calculate the power requirements for my DC motor?

The power requirements for a DC motor can be calculated by multiplying the motor's voltage by its current. For example, if a motor requires 12 volts and 2 amps to operate, its power requirement would be 24 watts. It is important to choose a power supply with a wattage rating that is equal to or greater than the calculated power requirement.

5. Are there any additional features or protections that I should look for in a power supply for DC motors?

Yes, there are several additional features and protections that can be beneficial for a power supply used with DC motors. These include overload protection, short circuit protection, and overvoltage protection. Additionally, some power supplies may have adjustable voltage or current settings, which can be useful for fine-tuning the motor's performance.