Beginner's foray into Diff Geometry

• Thread starter tade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the participants in this conversation discussed recommendations for books on Differential Geometry (DG) for beginners. While one person struggled with understanding the notation in "Differential Geometry" by Erwin Kreyszig, others suggested more updated and beginner-friendly books such as "Elementary Differential Geometry" by O'Neill and "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Do Carmo. Other suggestions included books on topology and Riemannian geometry. The conversation also touched on the importance of having a background in linear algebra and multivariable calculus before diving into DG, and recommended resources for filling in any gaps in knowledge. There was also a mention of specific books for those interested in General Relativity (GR).
tade
I would like to learn DG so I picked up "Differential Geometry" by Erwin Kreyszig.

I'm finding it too difficult to understand, especially the notation. What books on DG would you guys recommend to beginners?

Physics news on Phys.org
That book is horrible and extremely outdated. Get O'Neill "Elementary Differential Geometry" or Do Carmo "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces".

What are your goals and background? Differential geometry books with different goals are quite different. Are you most interested in applications to physics, chemistry, biology, engineering, mathematics, or something else?
I would say if you know some topology (or want to learn some) you could go with the John Lee trio
Introduction to Topological Manifolds
Introduction to Smooth Manifolds
Riemannian Manifolds: An Introduction to Curvature

If you like some physical stuffs and know a little calculus and linear algebra a good start would be
Curvature in Mathematics and Physics by Shlomo Sternberg. I have only read a bit of it but the price, quality, and minimal required background make it a good choice for a first exposure.

A supplement of some interest is Riemannian Geometry: A Beginners Guide Frank Morgan

Some times people suggest something like Elementary Differential Geometry by Pressley. I do not care much for that book. It is easier because it is so limited in scope. I do not think time with it is well spent.

Yes old timey books can be challenging due to the notation and approach.

Last edited:
Here's a free online text:

http://www.math.uga.edu/~shifrin/ShifrinDiffGeo.pdf

The notation used is the classical notation.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way tade, is this for GR?

WannabeNewton said:
By the way tade, is this for GR?

Initially, yes. But I would like to learn DG in general too.

And preferably something noob-friendly. :tongue2:

Last edited:
tade said:
Initially, yes. But I would like to learn DG in general too.
Ah ok. That's cool. I was going to say that if this was for GR specifically then most GR texts by themselves offer good introductions to tensor calculus and differential geometry as used in GR. What's your background in math by the way?

WannabeNewton said:
Ah ok. That's cool. I was going to say that if this was for GR specifically then most GR texts by themselves offer good introductions to tensor calculus and differential geometry as used in GR. What's your background in math by the way?
12th grade AP calc.

Ok well you will need to know linear algebra and multivariable calculus first before jumping into either classical differential geometry of surfaces or GR.

If your single-variable calculus is good, then I really recommend this book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0130414085/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It is a solid intro to multivariable calculus, linear algebra and diffential forms. I think it perfectly fills up the gaps that still Lie between you and differential geometry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity by James B. Hartle is a good book for noobs?

Though I probably need to finish Hubbard's book first.

If you know LA and Calc 3 then yes, I would highly highly recommend that book. It's brilliant.

1. What is Differential Geometry?

Differential Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of curves and surfaces in multi-dimensional spaces. It combines elements of both geometry and calculus to understand the properties of these objects.

2. Is Differential Geometry difficult to learn for beginners?

Like any other branch of mathematics, Differential Geometry can be challenging for beginners. It requires a solid understanding of basic calculus and linear algebra. However, with patience and practice, anyone can learn the fundamentals of Differential Geometry.

3. What are some real-world applications of Differential Geometry?

Differential Geometry has numerous applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to solve problems related to motion, shape, and optimization. For example, it is used in robotics to design efficient paths for movement.

4. Can I study Differential Geometry without a strong background in mathematics?

While a strong foundation in mathematics is recommended for studying Differential Geometry, it is not impossible to learn without it. There are numerous online resources and textbooks that provide a gentle introduction to the subject for beginners.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Differential Geometry?

To improve your understanding of Differential Geometry, it is essential to practice solving problems and working on exercises. It is also helpful to read textbooks and articles on the subject and attend lectures or workshops if possible. Collaborating with others can also be beneficial in gaining a deeper understanding.