Has society become too politically correct?

• News
  • Thread starter Zantra
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of political correctness and the use of alternative terms to describe certain groups of people. There is a debate about the effectiveness and fairness of affirmative action and whether it is causing reverse racism. The conversation also touches on the idea that constantly pointing out race and other differences may actually contribute to the problem rather than solving it.
Originally posted by Chemicalsuperfreak
Maybe he's just judging you based on the content of your character?
Don't you love how I must be a bigot in reverse for discussing the idea that minorities start out behind, and have to work harder just to get even? Anti-AA folks thing that people exist in a vacuum, and if we pretend theat the societal differences don't exist, they will simply go away.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are assuming both had equal opportunities in life. I'm saying that this is a terrible assumption to make. Do you think that racism is so rare that the black students never get racist teachers and their by poorer grades. Also, do you really believe that a 0.5 difference in GPA is accurate enough to judge an applicant by?
More importantly, does affirmative action really work that way? It seems to me that the way it works(or it should, anyways) is sort of like giving a 10% boost to a minority student's test scores when considering their application. That wouldn't affect the top students either way, because someone with a 3.8 GPA is getting in either way. Let's say a university is going to admit 5000 students. The cut-off GPA that they will accept is a 2.5. The only students who are going to be affected either way are those marginal students in the bottom 10%. No white kid with a 3.8 GPA and a 1400 SAT is being denied college. No black student with a 2.0 GPA and a 500 SAT is being accepted.

First, I am offended by the term 'politically correct', we prefer 'intolerance challenged'.

While there sure are a lot of people using sticks as suppositories, I think the biggest gripe about political correctness comes from those who really enjoyed bigotry. Some people's lives were much more fun when it was socially acceptable to denigrate entire chunks of the population.

On the other hand, some of this political correctness smacks of bigotry. I find the use of 'mentally challenged' in place of 'retarded' offensive. Retardation is a technical term. It has real meaning. It is not a source of shame. Using 'mentally challenged' as an attempt to defray shame is a tacit acceptance that there is something to be ashamed of. There is not! It's one thing when a community comes to a near consensus about what they wish to be called, it is quite another when outsiders decide to call them something "less shameful" than what they are.

Affirmative action, in my opinion, is a differnet arguement. Some people seem to think that bigotry is no longer a serious problem in this country. They are very much mistaken. Affirmative action has an insignificant effect compared to bigotry.

Njorl

Please try to understand I'm as far from being racist as I can. I was raised in the BS, and I hardly even communicate with most of my family because of it. I don't think anyone here is trying to be racist, just trying to point out that the system we have is not working.

I chose to be an outcast during school in my oppostion to things you speak of. What did it do? Not much, just made the same racist teachers your talking about treat me much the same way. Looking back on it, did my outlook have any positive effect, not really.

The only thing I can see that's going to help humans, is not AA or PC, but just recognize that we are all human, none of us asked to be where we are at, and all any of us want is a roof over our head and food in the fridge. It don't matter if your gay, mentally handicapped, hot pink with blue finger and toe nails, we all need these things and we all desire better.

I mean, I remember being in school and stupid kids having "The south will rise again" etched into there backpacks. These same kids grew up and realize just how stupid they've been. A select few remain stupid. I can tell you that slowly, as time goes by, we are becoming a society less concerned with race. The problem lies in the people running society, still being veterans of the Civil Rights movement, a lot of them probably feel like there country has been stolen. Its rediculous, but hey, most things are.

No white kid with a 3.8 GPA and a 1400 SAT is being denied college. No black student with a 2.0 GPA and a 500 SAT is being accepted.

On that same note, how many white kids with a 2.0 GPA and 500 sat make it in?

Let's say student A is white, middle class, and has an overall 3.9 GPA. While student B is black, middle class also, and has an overall 3.4 GPA.
Suppose both students refused, as a point of principle (asserting their constitutional right?) to state their race, class, gender, age*, etc? Would the college refuse to consider their applications until they gave up their quixotic protest?
the use of 'mentally challenged' in place of 'retarded' offensive
'dumb' yesterday, 'retarded' today, 'mentally challenged' tomorrow, ... usage trumps PC?

*AA for the aged anyone?

You are assuming both had equal opportunities in life. I'm saying that this is a terrible assumption to make. Do you think that racism is so rare that the black students never get racist teachers and their by poorer grades. Also, do you really believe that a 0.5 difference in GPA is accurate enough to judge an applicant by?

And do you think just because I'm white I grew up in an upper middle class neighborhood with a privledged lifestyle? The pendulum swings both ways. It's amazing how many people "assume" those things about white people, when there are many who had an economically disadvantaged lifestyle. I was one of those people. Every argument in favor of AA has a completely valid counter. To automatically assume all blacks are disadvantaged is racist, and I can tell you many black people would be offended by that statement.

I have more non white friends than white friends, and believe me, one of the least racist people you will meet, so I'm offending when it's insinuated that simply because I'm against AA that I'm a racist. That's complete BS. AA does not promote equality, it just promotes the opposite of racism, which is no better than racism itsself. I was raised to be very liberal. But the system of AA does not work in practice.

As far as the spread of the GPAs, change it to suit your needs. What constitutes an acceptable difference? 1.0? 1.5? How big of a gap does it take to notice that the practices are tilted in the favor of minorities when the system should be blind to race? You can't ASSUME that all minorities are disadvantaged. A lot of my friends are asian, and let me tell you, they are a lot better off than I ever was growing up. So that STREREOTYPE that minorities are socioeconomically disadvantaged is complete BS. Everyone is diffent, and you can't assume things without tainting the results or being racist either one way or the other

Last edited:
Originally posted by Njorl

On the other hand, some of this political correctness smacks of bigotry. I find the use of 'mentally challenged' in place of 'retarded' offensive. Retardation is a technical term. It has real meaning. It is not a source of shame. Using 'mentally challenged' as an attempt to defray shame is a tacit acceptance that there is something to be ashamed of. There is not! It's one thing when a community comes to a near consensus about what they wish to be called, it is quite another when outsiders decide to call them something "less shameful" than what they are.

Njorl [/B]

Calling someone mentally retarded is like calling a black person a negroe. It's technically correct, but it's antiquated, and calling someone retarded is awful close to calling them a retard, in the same way that calling someone a negro is also close to calling them a cool person. And hey, if you think somebody calling you out for being tactless is bigotry, then you have no real idea what the word bigotry is.

Originally posted by Zantra
And do you think just because I'm white I grew up in an upper middle class neighborhood with a privledged lifestyle? The pendulum swings both ways. It's amazing how many people "assume" those things about white people, when there are many who had an economically disadvantaged lifestyle. I was one of those people. Every argument in favor of AA has a completely valid counter. To automatically assume all blacks are disadvantaged is racist, and I can tell you many black people would be offended by that statement.

I have more non white friends than white friends, and believe me, one of the least racist people you will meet, so I'm offending when it's insinuated that simply because I'm against AA that I'm a racist.

As far as the spread of the GPAs, change it to suit your needs. What constitutes an acceptable difference? 1.0? 1.5? How big of a gap does it take to notice that the practices are tilted in the favor of minorities when the system should be blind to race?

I think that because you are white then you are more likely to be more privileged than the average black person from the same socioeconomic class. Do you disagree? I can tell you that many black people believe that racism is still wide spread and will often give you a recent example of the last time they experienced it. That's probably why the wide majority of blacks support affirmitive action.

Yes, yes. I'm sure you have lots of black friends. And that you are very polite to those people. And you get off of work on MLK day. Yeah, yeah. People say that alot.

I agree that the system is blind to race. And when we have a porportional number of minorities in colleges and corporate boardrooms, and a porportional number of white people in prison, then I'll agree that we have a color blind society. Until then, we need AA.

Originally posted by megashawn

On that same note, how many white kids with a 2.0 GPA and 500 sat make it in?

Didn't Bush get into Harvard and Yale with a D average in high school and a C average in college? Talk about white entitlement.

Originally posted by Zero
I guess most white people can't see beyond maintaining their favored status. I'm not going to argue with you folks...maybe the next generation will make further strides, but I think you folks have gone as far as you are able.

I'm wondering why you're assuming that they are all white, or do you know this as fact from a previous conversation?

Don't you love how I must be a bigot in reverse for discussing the idea that minorities start out behind, and have to work harder just to get even? Anti-AA folks thing that people exist in a vacuum, and if we pretend theat the societal differences don't exist, they will simply go away.

Isn't the first rule of denial to accuse your opponents of what you yourself are guilty of?

And back at the time when Bush got into Harvard and Yale, money was the only thing needed, and I'm sure the Bushes have always had plenty.

I won't go as far as to say AA is broken, or a reversal, but it almost seems like a replacement to "Separate but equal". That idea was completely wrong, and with AA atleast it is an attempt at setting things right. But just as you and everyone else is pointing out, they arent right.

And just as Zantra is trying to point out, there are white people out there who do not get free handouts. I'll stand in line behind him on this. Now depending on where you live, you may or may not see this.

But at the same time, there are people who take the fact that there considered a minority and profit. For instance, I work with a person who receives disability checks, works a full time job, and gets paid to go to the local community college. Thats right, he gets cash in his pocket to go to school. He will not owe a penny for his training.

And there are cases up and down the spectrum of people doing this. And the people who are doing this, IMO, are the ones who cause the system(s) to not work properly.

But what good does finger pointing do us? I think Zantra formed this topic to discuss the problems brought up thus far. Certainly pointing fingers and calling names will get us nowhere.

I guess most white people can't see beyond maintaining their favored status. I'm not going to argue with you folks...maybe the next generation will make further strides, but I think you folks have gone as far as you are able.

I'm sure you know my opinion of people when they argue in the very post they state their intention to stop arguing.

I was interested in your idea of `fair play' to explore the possibility that we really do have similar ideas about what it means, just that we don't see it because you worship PC-ness and I don't.

Maybe he's just judging you based on the content of your character?

Seeing how I've seen Zero do little but sling insults in the poly forum, I somehow doubt it.

I am exceedingly self-critical, and I make a serious effort to walk the straight-and-narrow, so I like to think I would have noticed if I had discriminatory tendancies... of course, I'm not perfect, and I would welcome a demonstration that I missed something.

Don't you love how I must be a bigot in reverse for discussing the idea that minorities start out behind, and have to work harder just to get even?

You were doing a lot of discussing of other ideas...

Didn't Bush get into Harvard and Yale with a D average in high school and a C average in college? Talk about white entitlement.

I think the driving factor here wasn't his skin color...

I agree that the system is blind to race. And when we have a porportional number of minorities in colleges and corporate boardrooms, and a porportional number of white people in prison, then I'll agree that we have a color blind society. Until then, we need AA.

Just to fill in other details, is it implicit in your criterion that the proportionality exists in essentially every criterion?

I think that because you are white then you are more likely to be more privileged than the average black person from the same socioeconomic class. Do you disagree? I can tell you that many black people believe that racism is still wide spread and will often give you a recent example of the last time they experienced it. That's probably why the wide majority of blacks support affirmitive action.

So because some people sometimes experience racism we should just assume that every african american is disadvantaged, uneducated, and discriminated against? What does that say for all the educated black people out there? I guess they were just lucky huh?

Yes, yes. I'm sure you have lots of black friends. And that you are very polite to those people. And you get off of work on MLK day. Yeah, yeah. People say that alot.

I see a bigot here, and it's not myself. Oh, I'm white so I'm a racist. If that's your extremely narrow-minded uneducated "worldly" view, then you really need get to know more people. I'm not a racist, and you don't actually know me, but you sure as hell seem to think you do. For all YOU know, I could BE a minority! I don't have to justify myself to you, or PROVE that I'm not racist. Believe what you want in your shortsighted view of the world.

So in essence you agree with everything I'm saying, but you're calling me a racist. How beautiful. Interesting logic.

Isn't the first rule of denial to accuse your opponents of what you yourself are guilty of?

And yet here you stand accusing me of being a racist. Now who's prejudiced?

Megashawn is right. I didn't create this post for people to start labeling others as racists. If you think you know I'm a racist then you're really a complete fool who actually knows nothing about me.

Many white people are poor. And poor people ARE discriminated against in one form or another. But they don't get the breaks because they are not a minority. You're just broadly labeling anyone who does't agree with the fundamentals of AA as a racist, which has no foundation in fact. It's as if I said abortion is necessary in cases of rape and incest and you called me a murderer. You're nothng but a fanatic.

But let's take it to an extreme. If I go into a poor area driving a BMW, I guarantee you I will experience bias. So now I'm a person whose been discriminated against. Should I then be entitled to AA?
OK then there's my point.

Russ, you are persuasive, and wrong, as usual!
Zero and Chemical, you both aluded to it, but neither of you answered the question. I'll restate:

In situations where it is possible to be truly colorblind, should we be?

This is a simple yes or no question requiring only a simple yes or no answer.

Sorry if I missed anything relevant, but its a fast moving thread.

And as a side note, nice to see all the mods in here beating the piss out of each other.

Last edited:
And yet here you stand accusing me of being a racist. Now who's prejudiced?

Nooooooo. I never call you racist. All I said was that you said you have lots of minority friends. Lots of people say that. Now it just so happens that just about every closet racist in the history of time says "Oh, I have lots of black friends" as some bizarre kind of evidence that they aren't racist, but I never accused of racism.

Now, are you accusing poor people of being violent criminals who will attack your precious car if you should denigrate yourself to drive through a poor neighborhood? Or are you just accusing poor people hating you because you're rich? Because I would like to know how that would prevent you from getting into college.

Originally posted by Hurkyl

I think the driving factor here wasn't his skin color...

every criterion?

The driving factor was genetics. His father got him in. And his father (you know, the nazi collaborator) before him. And the Bushes wouldn't be are where they are today if they were black. Black people don't have the luxury of having ancestors in powerful positions in american society. That's a big part of what white entitlement is about.

Nooooooo. I never call you racist. All I said was that you said you have lots of minority friends. Lots of people say that. Now it just so happens that just about every closet racist in the history of time says "Oh, I have lots of black friends" as some bizarre kind of evidence that they aren't racist, but I never accused of racism.

Oh so you're calling me a CLOSET RACIST. Gee, so glad we clarified that. If you think I'm making it up, say so and I'll forward you a list of as many people you need to talk to to verify I'm not lying. While you're generalization that all white people are closet racists and fabricate "fake minority friends" I can assure you that's not true in my case, and I could prove it if called out. It's funny how people resort to baseless accusations and name calling in some last ditch effort to win an argument.

Now, are you accusing poor people of being violent criminals who will attack your precious car if you should denigrate yourself to drive through a poor neighborhood? Or are you just accusing poor people hating you because you're rich? Because I would like to know how that would prevent you from getting into college.

Wonderful. Now you're simply putting words in my mouth which I never uttered. No, none of what you said is accurate. But let me clarify it for you in case you're having trouble grasping the concept. I said:

But let's take it to an extreme. If I go into a poor area driving a BMW, I guarantee you I will experience bias.

This was in response to your comment that minorities are still experiencing racism. I was making the point that even white people encounter bias,(not necessarily exclusive of, but including race, and including socioeconomic status). I went to a high school where I WAS the minority, and let me tell you, I'm VERY familiar with racism.So far your argument isn't very strong. You're basically insinuating that being a minority automatically denotes bias. You're also insinuating that being white automatically precludes racism. I'm saying that racism comes in many forms, and isn't confined to minorities only.

Last edited:
Black people don't have the luxury of having ancestors in powerful positions in american society. That's a big part of what white entitlement is about.

The vast majority of white people don't have that luxury either...

And I don't have any superpowerful people in history from my family. I've been shunned by most of society, but mostly because I shun them.

I figured it out a long time ago that nobody requested to live the life they do. Sure, once your born, you can work towards certain goals, or even be fed with a golden spoon, and have everything handed to you. But who had the choice in being born? Do you remember picking which skin color you would have? I don't.

So it is a simple solution, but it has become such a complicated issue over the years that we need all this complexity in order to think we are being fare to the smaller populations.

Honestly, I don't think AA is fair to anyone. It can make things harder for me, but only if I want to use it for an excuse. Basically, anyone can make it, its just a matter of there own determination. Being thrusted into disadvantaged situations can go a long ways to undermining your determination. However, it can also make you stronger.

The driving factor was genetics. His father got him in. And his father (you know, the nazi collaborator) before him. And the Bushes wouldn't be are where they are today if they were black. Black people don't have the luxury of having ancestors in powerful positions in american society. That's a big part of what white entitlement is about.

Man you're just full of contradictions. I guess I missed my turn in line when they were handing out powerful white ancestors- I had to make it without the benefit of one You may be trying to argue for pro-minority, but you have so many preconceptions and biases that you're not helping your cause, you're hurting it, and making yourself look bad in the process.

Man you're just full of contradictions. I guess I missed my turn in line when they were handing out powerful white ancestors- I had to make it without the benefit of one You may be trying to argue for pro-minority, but you have so many preconceptions and biases that you're not helping your cause, you're hurting it, and making yourself look bad in the process.

What contradictions? Bush was just an example. You don't think that people get jobs for their kids? If it's disproportionately white people in upper management, and they get jobs for their kids, than that's white entitlement?

All I'm saying is that racism clearly exists and prevents minorities from having the same opportunities that white people have sans AA. On average.

I don't know you. I don't know if your Rickey Schroder or Oliver Twist. So I'm not saying if you've had it easy or not. But the fact is that minorities don't have it as easy as white people.

Oh so you're calling me a CLOSET RACIST.

Wonderful. Now you're simply putting words in my mouth which I never uttered.

This was in response to your comment that minorities are still experiencing racism. I was making the point that even white people encounter bias,(not necessarily exclusive of, but including race, and including socioeconomic status). I went to a high school where I WAS the minority, and let me tell you, I'm VERY familiar with racism.So far your argument isn't very strong. You're basically insinuating that being a minority automatically denotes bias. You're also insinuating that being white automatically precludes racism. I'm saying that racism comes in many forms, and isn't confined to minorities only.

You can dish it out but can't take it.

Anyway, as for your unfortunate experiences with racsim. Was it institutionalized? Was it systematic? Was it widespread? Did it come from positions of authority? Did it keep you down? Did it result in a bad grade? Did it keep you from getting into college? Did it keep you from getting a good job? Do you think you would have had better opportunities if you were black?

You can dish it out but can't take it.

Anyway, as for your unfortunate experiences with racsim. Was it institutionalized? Was it systematic? Was it widespread? Did it come from positions of authority? Did it keep you down? Did it result in a bad grade? Did it keep you from getting into college? Did it keep you from getting a good job? Do you think you would have had better opportunities if you were black?

And praytell what exactly is it that I'm dishing out? Please enlighten me.

Your characterization of racism is way overblown. You come across as a paranoid who sees conspiracy everywhere you look. I think you would do better in the M&P forums than here. Everybody encounters bias at some point in their lives. That's an unfortunate fact of society that we can only hope will improve with time. While I'm sure there are instances of what you're describing, they are few and far in between.
Maybe you've had bad experiences which have tainted your view, but the people I know well who are minorities generally don't share that viewpoint. Have that had bad experiences? Yes., But they don't let it make them bitter or judge all people based on those experiences, and that is exactly what you are doing.

Since no one has read the link I gave, I'll post it again with quotes this time (it is the best rejoiner to the "reverse racism" nonsense I have read).

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/race/fish.htm

Now, on the basis of race, blacks are claiming special status and reserving for themselves privileges they deny to others. Isn't one as bad as the other? The answer is no. One can see why by imagining that it is not 1993 but 1955, and that we are in a town in the South with two more or less distinct communities, one white and one black. No doubt each community would have a ready store of dismissive epithets, ridiculing stories, self-serving folk myths, and expressions of plain hatred, all directed at the other community, and all based in racial hostility. Yet to regard their respective racisms--if that is the word--as equivalent would be bizarre, for the hostility of one group stems not from any wrong done to it but from its wish to protect its ability to deprive citizens of their voting rights, to limit access to educational institutions, to prevent entry into the economy except at the lowest and most menial levels, and to force members of the stigmatized group to ride in the back of the bus. The hostility of the other group is the result of these actions, and whereas hostility and racial anger are unhappy facts wherever they are found, a distinction must surely be made between the ideological hostility of the oppressors and the experience-based hostility of those who have been oppressed.

At this point someone will always say, "But two wrongs don't make a right; if it was wrong to treat blacks unfairly, it is wrong to give blacks preference and thereby treat whites unfairly." This objection is just another version of the forgetting and rewriting of history. The work is done by the adverb "unfairly," which suggests two more or less equal parties, one of whom has been unjustly penalized by an incompetent umpire. But blacks have not simply been treated unfairly; they have been subjected first to decades of slavery, and then to decades of second-class citizenship, widespread legalized discrimination, economic persecution, educational deprivation, and cultural stigmatization. They have been bought, sold, killed, beaten, raped, excluded, exploited, shamed, and scorned for a very long time. The word "unfair" is hardly an adequate description of their experience, and the belated gift of "fairness" in the form of a resolution no longer to discriminate against them legally is hardly an adequate remedy for the deep disadvantages that the prior discrimination has produced. When the deck is stacked against you in more ways than you can even count, it is small consolation to hear that you are now free to enter the game and take your chances.

One way of tilting the field is the Scholastic Aptitude Test. This test figures prominently in Dinesh D'Souza's book Illiberal Education (1991), in which one finds many examples of white or Asian students denied admission to colleges and universities even though their SAT scores were higher than the scores of some others--often African-Americans--who were admitted to the same institution. This, D'Souza says, is evidence that as a result of affirmative-action policies colleges and universities tend "to depreciate the importance of merit criteria in admissions." D'Souza's assumption--and it is one that many would share--is that the test does in fact measure merit, with merit understood as a quality objectively determined in the same way that body temperature can be objectively determined.

...In short, what is being measured by the SAT is not absolutes like native ability and merit but accidents like birth, social position, access to libraries, and the opportunity to take vacations or to take SAT prep courses.

Furthermore, as David Owen notes in None of the Above: Behind the Myth of Scholastic Aptitude (1985), the "correlation between SAT scores and college grades . . . is lower than the correlation between weight and height; in other words you would have a better chance of predicting a person's height by looking at his weight than you would of predicting his freshman grades by looking only at his SAT scores." Everywhere you look in the SAT story, the claims of fairness, objectivity, and neutrality fall away, to be replaced by suspicions of specialized measures and unfair advantages

NEVERTHELESS, there is at least one more card to play against affirmative action, and it is a strong one. Granted that the playing field is not level and that access to it is reserved for an already advantaged elite, the disadvantages suffered by others are less racial--at least in 1993--than socioeconomic. Therefore shouldn't, as D'Souza urges, "universities . . . retain their policies of preferential treatment, but alter their criteria of application from race to socioeconomic disadvantage," and thus avoid the unfairness of current policies that reward middle-class or affluent blacks at the expense of poor whites? One answer to this question is given by D'Souza himself when he acknowledges that the overlap between minority groups and the poor is very large--a point underscored by the former Secretary of Education Lamar Alexander, who said, in response to a question about funds targeted for black students, "Ninety-eight percent of race-specific scholarships do not involve constitutional problems." He meant, I take it, that 98 percent of race-specific scholarships were also scholarships to the economically disadvantaged.

I can hear the objection in advance: "What's the difference? Unfair is unfair: you didn't get the job; you didn't even get on the short list." The difference is not in the outcome but in the ways of thinking that led up to the outcome. It is the difference between an unfairness that befalls one as the unintended effect of a policy rationally conceived and an unfairness that is pursued as an end in itself. It is the difference between the awful unfairness of Nazi extermination camps and the unfairness to Palestinian Arabs that arose from, but was not the chief purpose of, the founding of a Jewish state.

THE point is not a difficult one, but it is difficult to see when the unfairness scenarios are presented as simple contrasts between two decontextualized persons who emerge from nowhere to contend for a job or a place in a freshman class. Here is student A; he has a board score of 1,300. And here is student B; her board score is only 1,200, yet she is admitted and A is rejected. Is that fair? Given the minimal information provided, the answer is of course no. But if we expand our horizons and consider fairness in relation to the cultural and institutional histories that have brought the two students to this point, histories that weigh on them even if they are not the histories' authors, then both the question and the answer suddenly grow more complicated.

The sleight-of-hand logic that first abstracts events from history and then assesses them from behind a veil of willed ignorance gains some of its plausibility from another key word in the anti-affirmative-action lexicon. That word is "individual," as in "The American way is to focus on the rights of individuals rather than groups." Now, "individual" and "individualism" have been honorable words in the American political vocabulary, and they have often been well employed in the fight against various tyrannies. But like any other word or concept, individualism can be perverted to serve ends the opposite of those it originally served, and this is what has happened when in the name of individual rights, millions of individuals are enjoined from redressing historically documented wrongs. How is this managed? Largely in the same way that the invocation of fairness is used to legitimize an institutionalized inequality. First one says, in the most solemn of tones, that the protection of individual rights is the chief obligation of society. Then one defines individuals as souls sent into the world with equal entitlements as guaranteed either by their Creator or by the Constitution. Then one pretends that nothing has happened to them since they stepped onto the world's stage. And then one says of these carefully denatured souls that they will all be treated in the same way, irrespective of any of the differences that history has produced. Bizarre as it may seem, individualism in this argument turns out to mean that everyone is or should be the same. This dismissal of individual difference in the name of the individual would be funny were its consequences not so serious: it is the mechanism by which imbalances and inequities suffered by millions of people through no fault of their own can be sanitized and even celebrated as the natural workings of unfettered democracy.

"Individualism," "fairness," "merit"--these three words are continually misappropriated by bigots who have learned that they need not put on a white hood or bar access to the ballot box in order to secure their ends. Rather, they need only clothe themselves in a vocabulary plucked from its historical context and made into the justification for attitudes and policies they would not acknowledge if frankly named.

I read it, BH.

Oh, and to Russ...if we could be colorblind, I'd say go for it...it would be nice if those situations actually existed except in very limited cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh so you're calling me a CLOSET RACIST. Gee, so glad we clarified that. If you think I'm making it up, say so and I'll forward you a list of as many people you need to talk to to verify I'm not lying. While you're generalization that all white people are closet racists and fabricate "fake minority friends" I can assure you that's not true in my case, and I could prove it if called out. It's funny how people resort to baseless accusations and name calling in some last ditch effort to win an argument.
Never mind them, even I am a racist these days. The political correctness seems to be putting people into boxes where they don't belong..

I read it, BH.

Oh, and to Russ...if we could be colorblind, I'd say go for it...it would be nice if those situations actually existed except in very limited cases.
Thank you.

And as I and someone else (Hurkyl?) pointed out, it is a simple thing to make the college admissions process for most colleges completely color blind.

Something else that is completely colorblind is the US Constitution. And that's why AA is struck down every time a case reaches the Supreme Court.

They upheld AA in Grutter vs. Bollinger just 4 months ago.

In 1987, the Supreme court specifically upheld use of quotas in United States vs. Paradise, a ruling which has not been invalidated.

Different AA remedies have been struck down for various problems, but AA has never been struck down in principle.

Njorl

Last edited:
You come across as a paranoid who sees conspiracy everywhere you look. I think you would do better in the M&P forums than here. Everybody encounters bias at some point in their lives. That's an unfortunate fact of society that we can only hope will improve with time. While I'm sure there are instances of what you're describing, they are few and far in between.
Maybe you've had bad experiences which have tainted your view, but the people I know well who are minorities generally don't share that viewpoint. Have that had bad experiences? Yes., But they don't let it make them bitter or judge all people based on those experiences, and that is exactly what you are doing.

So why aren't there a proportionate number of minorities in colleges and corporate boardrooms? There are two explanations that I can think of. One is that it is a racist society, that's what I believe. Or two, blacks have the same opportunity, but can't compete do to some inferiority. So which is it? What's your explanation?

I don't think it is a racist society perse that is causing this phenomenon. I think it is nurture, if you have successfull rolemodels you'll most likely reach for success yourself. Since minorities have been repressed they have to regain this confidence again. Knowing the right people gets you much further too, that network is apparently not working yet if these biases still exist.

I don't believe it is someone telling: you are a minority so you don't belong here, which would be racist.

Originally posted by russ_watters
Thank you.

And as I and someone else (Hurkyl?) pointed out, it is a simple thing to make the college admissions process for most colleges completely color blind.

Something else that is completely colorblind is the US Constitution. And that's why AA is struck down every time a case reaches the Supreme Court.
Except this summer, when it wasn't struck down...

So why aren't there a proportionate number of minorities in colleges and corporate boardrooms? There are two explanations that I can think of. One is that it is a racist society, that's what I believe. Or two, blacks have the same opportunity, but can't compete do to some inferiority. So which is it? What's your explanation?

I understand your point here, but this isn't 100% of the case. Many companys , including the one I work for have many minorities in high positions. The situation is improving, but it takes time.

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/stuckmojo/declarationofaheadhunter.html#6

You bask in the glow of the media spot light, you passionately decree
that racism and prejudice are alive today as they were four hundred
years ago, but does this do anything to reverse it's effect?
No one with the intellegence will deny that a great atrocity was commited
against the black race at the hands of white settlers of this country,
but a wound cannot heal if it is continuously re-opened
That is to say, that it will heal but it will take much longer and the
scar it leaves will be grotesque and raise high on the skin
A true leader leads by example and the example you have shown is not one
of stregnth of character, self-reliance, commentment to excellence or
personal accountability
It's these traits that are necessary to advace oneself as an individual
It is only as strong curagous and moral individuals that any race can
live the quality of life that it chooses

Back