Data for metal oxides on complex refractive index in the infrared

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's desire to use ZEMAX software for calculating reflection and absorption of thin metal oxide coatings on plastic materials. They are specifically looking for the real and imaginary part of the refractive index for ZnO, ITO, VO2, and Al2O3 in the wavelength range of 1-10 micrometers. The speaker mentions that they have been unable to find this data and asks for suggestions on where to find it. The response suggests searching through the internet, particularly for x-ray information on websites like cxro, but notes the difficulty in finding data for infrared wavelengths.
M_1
I want to use the ray tracing software ZEMAX to calculate reflection and absorption using thin metal oxide coatings on for example plastic materials. For this I need is the real and imaginary part of the refractive index in the wavelength region 1-10 micrometer for the metal oxides ZnO, ITO (indium tin oxide), VO2, and for the protective coating Al2O3. I find it hard to find such data. Anyone who has any ideas where I can find this data?

Physics news on Phys.org
unfortunately, you'll have to slog through the Interwebs. there are some website that have this information for x-rays like cxro, but I don't know of any for ir wavelengths.

1. What is the purpose of studying the complex refractive index of metal oxides in the infrared?

The complex refractive index of metal oxides in the infrared is important for understanding the optical properties of these materials, which are essential for various technological applications including optical coatings, solar cells, and sensors.

2. How is data collected and measured for the complex refractive index of metal oxides in the infrared?

Data for the complex refractive index of metal oxides in the infrared is typically collected using a spectrophotometer, which measures the transmission and reflection of light through the material. This data is then used to calculate the complex refractive index using specialized software.

3. What factors affect the complex refractive index of metal oxides in the infrared?

The complex refractive index of metal oxides in the infrared can be influenced by various factors such as the chemical composition of the material, its crystal structure, and the temperature at which it is measured. Other external factors like humidity and sample preparation techniques can also affect the results.

4. Can the data for complex refractive index of metal oxides in the infrared be used for other materials?

Yes, the data for complex refractive index of metal oxides in the infrared can be used as a reference for other materials with similar properties. However, it is important to note that each material has its own unique complex refractive index, so the data should be used as a general guide and not as an exact measurement for other materials.

5. How does the complex refractive index of metal oxides in the infrared impact their performance in technological applications?

The complex refractive index of metal oxides in the infrared directly affects their optical properties, which can greatly impact their performance in various technological applications. For example, a high refractive index can improve light absorption in solar cells, while a low refractive index can improve the efficiency of anti-reflective coatings.