What Should The Next Science Fiction Monster Be?

In summary, the black hole monster would win in a fight with the killer pluots because the black hole monster has the ability to suck people in and consume them.
zoobyshoe
This is a big problem because I think they ran out of good ideas a long time ago.

The last one that struck me as any good was the graboid in Tremors, but that film is pretty old now.

The film Alien really turned the whole genre around and most stuff that's come afterward seems to have it's roots in that film, one way or another. Mimic and Species, which both had good sci-fi monsters, still reminded me a lot of Alien.

I think we need a new sci-fi monster that comes from a different direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
I think we need a new sci-fi monster that comes from a different direction.

https://www.physicsforums.com/image.php?u=25586&dateline=1125369479 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously though, I don't know. I was going to suggest some kind of parasite that takes over the brain, but I get the feeling some variation of that has already been done a few times.

How about a race of aliens so big that when they come along, they just eat the Earth like a big apple?

Hmmmm, it would be a short movie I guess...

Ivan Seeking said:
How about a race of aliens so big that when they come along, they just eat the Earth like a big apple?

Hmmmm, it would be a short movie I guess...
Already been done, sort of, in the Transformers cartoon movie:

http://www.garaje.ya.com/agltox/Unicroeaten.jpg

That's a moon getting consumed by a gigantic humanoid robot that itself transforms into a giant robotic planet with planet-eating mandibles (here seen in giant robotic planet form). Ah, childhood memories.

hypnagogue said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/image.php?u=25586&dateline=1125369479 [Broken]
[/URL]
This is certainly from a different direction.

hypnagogue said:
Seriously though, I don't know. I was going to suggest some kind of parasite that takes over the brain, but I get the feeling some variation of that has already been done a few times.
Yeah, one of the first sci-fi films I ever saw as a kid was about brain parasites. They hung on your shirt collar and inserted two probes in the back of your neck. It was ust sort of sickening, not scary.

Hmmm, okay, how about a black hole beast? You get ripped apart by the tidal forces whenever it gets near. It just sucks you up and then gets bigger and stronger.

Ivan Seeking said:
This is pretty much what they were up against in one of the original star treks. I think they called it The Planet Killer. It was a giant space worm, really, with a big mouth.

Ivan Seeking said:
Hmmm, okay, how about a black hole beast? You get ripped apart by the tidal forces whenever it gets near. It just sucks you up and then gets bigger and stronger.
That's not too bad.

Ivan Seeking said:
Um... isn't that just a black hole? :bugeye:

zoobyshoe said:
This is pretty much what they were up against in one of the original star treks. I think they called it The Planet Killer. It was a giant space worm, really, with a big mouth.

That used an energy beam. Not quite as elegant as being eaten like a big apple, IMO. :biggrin:

hypnagogue said:

Sort of, but it acts with intent and can fit in your Geo.

http://www.tiendaociojoven.com/ezimagecatalogue/catalogue/variations/150x600/234017-150x600.jpg

i think sephiroth should be the new bad guy

How about some sort of assult by murderous fruit, or maybe murderous vegetables?

Okay, Zooby liked my last answer. I'm stopping before I ruin the moment.

A 4D monster might be cool. It could rip your heart out without puncturing your chest. And other neat stuff.

Hurkyl said:
How about some sort of assult by murderous fruit, or maybe murderous vegetables?

Attack of the Killer Tomatos? No, that won't do. Attack of the Killer Pluots?

Attack of the Killer Tomatos? No, that won't do. Attack of the Killer Pluots?

Attack of the green leafy vegetables?

hypnagogue said:
The image that came to my mind was of a hulking humanoid thing that slowly trudged around sucking people in by it's personal super-gravity. You'd see them striped apart layer by layer: skin, then muscle, then bones.

I think we're making good progress in this thread. Now we can start asking the really interesting questions. Who would win in a fight, the black hole monster or the killer pluots?

hypnagogue said:
I think we're making good progress in this thread. Now we can start asking the really interesting questions. Who would win in a fight, the black hole monster or the killer pluots?
Well, how does the killer pluot kill?

zoobyshoe said:
Well, how does the killer pluot kill?
Its strange genetics generate an intense anti-gravitational field. Plus, it's kind of weird.

Yah, don't you know weirdness always trumps raw power?

hypnagogue said:
Its strange genetics generate an intense anti-gravitational field. Plus, it's kind of weird.
pluot - Google Image Search
Address:http://images.google.com/images?q=pluot&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

I don't buy it as the right kind of foil for a black hole monster. And, as every crackpot knows, all anti-gravity would do for it is give it the ability to levitate.

Hurkyl said:
Yah, don't you know weirdness always trumps raw power?
That's why the weird, purple jellyfish could pretty much beat anything. The pluot is merely "sort of" weird. Not good enough.

That's why the weird, purple jellyfish could pretty much beat anything.

Nah, cuteness is the most powerful force in the universe.

Hurkyl said:
Nah, cuteness is the most powerful force in the universe.
You prolly never saw Bambi meets Godzilla.

no, it's true

Here we see the black hole monster being thwarted by a cute, disembodied kitten head.

Attachments

• blackhole.jpg
    blackhole.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 397
Attack of the black hole bunny rabbit?

Subtitle: Cute kills/How cute, is TOO cute?

No contest. The woman wins by giving them all The Look.

hmmm, The female mind... sounds sci-fi-ish to me.

hypnagogue said:
Here we see the black hole monster being thwarted by a cute, disembodied kitten head.
What's that thing on the black hole monster's chest? The time travel spiral from Austin Powers?

zoobyshoe said:
What's that thing on the black hole monster's chest? The time travel spiral from Austin Powers?
They're obviously gravity waves or some type of hypnosis device.

An attack of an pure force super creature power by but detached from some super brained people on a science forum.

<h2>1. What makes a good science fiction monster?</h2><p>A good science fiction monster should have a unique and interesting appearance, possess abilities or powers that are beyond human capabilities, and pose a threat to humanity or the world. It should also have a well-developed backstory and motivations.</p><h2>2. Should the next science fiction monster be based on real-life creatures or be completely fictional?</h2><p>This ultimately depends on the story and the message the author wants to convey. Real-life creatures can add a sense of realism and familiarity, while completely fictional monsters allow for more creativity and imagination. Both options can be equally effective.</p><h2>3. What role should the science fiction monster play in the story?</h2><p>The science fiction monster should serve as a catalyst for the conflict and drive the plot forward. It can also represent a larger theme or idea within the story, such as the dangers of technology or the consequences of human actions.</p><h2>4. How can the science fiction monster be used to explore deeper themes and ideas?</h2><p>The science fiction monster can be used as a metaphor for real-world issues and to explore deeper themes and ideas. For example, a monster that feeds on human emotions could represent the dangers of society's obsession with social media and technology.</p><h2>5. What are some ways to make the next science fiction monster stand out from previous ones?</h2><p>To make the next science fiction monster stand out, it should have a unique appearance and abilities, as well as a compelling backstory and motivations. It could also have unexpected weaknesses or vulnerabilities, making it more unpredictable and challenging for the protagonists to defeat. Additionally, incorporating elements of different genres, such as horror or fantasy, can add a fresh twist to the traditional science fiction monster. </p>

1. What makes a good science fiction monster?

A good science fiction monster should have a unique and interesting appearance, possess abilities or powers that are beyond human capabilities, and pose a threat to humanity or the world. It should also have a well-developed backstory and motivations.

2. Should the next science fiction monster be based on real-life creatures or be completely fictional?

This ultimately depends on the story and the message the author wants to convey. Real-life creatures can add a sense of realism and familiarity, while completely fictional monsters allow for more creativity and imagination. Both options can be equally effective.

3. What role should the science fiction monster play in the story?

The science fiction monster should serve as a catalyst for the conflict and drive the plot forward. It can also represent a larger theme or idea within the story, such as the dangers of technology or the consequences of human actions.

4. How can the science fiction monster be used to explore deeper themes and ideas?

The science fiction monster can be used as a metaphor for real-world issues and to explore deeper themes and ideas. For example, a monster that feeds on human emotions could represent the dangers of society's obsession with social media and technology.

5. What are some ways to make the next science fiction monster stand out from previous ones?

To make the next science fiction monster stand out, it should have a unique appearance and abilities, as well as a compelling backstory and motivations. It could also have unexpected weaknesses or vulnerabilities, making it more unpredictable and challenging for the protagonists to defeat. Additionally, incorporating elements of different genres, such as horror or fantasy, can add a fresh twist to the traditional science fiction monster.