Conditions for a density matrix; constructing a density matrix

In summary, the conditions for the matrix \hat{p} to describe the density operator of a pure state are that the trace of the matrix must be equal to 1, and the matrix must be Hermitian. The matrix can have any values for the elements in the off-diagonal, and only one element on the diagonal can be different from zero. The other elements on the diagonal can either be zero or one, depending on the value of the other elements.
Juqon

Homework Statement

What are the conditions so that the matrix [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] describes the density operator of a pure state?

Homework Equations

[PLAIN]http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/2835/densitymatrix.png
[itex]p=\sum p_{j}|\psi_{j}><\psi_{j}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that tr([itex]\rho[/itex])=1 for pure states.
But I do not know how to construct the density matrix. Or is it [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] already?
In my book, there is the example "hermitian, tr=1, [PLAIN]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4346/densitymatrixexample.png", but I do not know how they constructed that.

Maybe I can just say a+d+e=1; c,b arbitrary?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think about that?

[PLAIN]http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7663/densitymatrixexamplep2.png
a²+bc=a (a[itex]\neq[/itex]0) => [itex]a+\frac{bc}{a}=1[/itex]
ab+bd=b (b[itex]\neq[/itex]0) => a+d=1 <=> a= 1-d <=> d=1-a
ca+dc=c (c[itex]\neq[/itex]0) => a+d = 1
cb+d²=2 (d[itex]\neq[/itex]0) => [itex]d+\frac{cb}{d}=1[/itex]
e=e²

a=0 v a= 1 - d
b € |R
c € |R
d=0 v d= 1 - a
e=0 v 1

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, thanks, I have read that.

with the condition for the trace:
a+d+e=1 => e=0: a+d=1;
e=1: a=d=0

and since the matrix is hermitian and p^T=p:
b = c, c € |R

On the page you linked to it says only one element on the diagonale can be different from zero when you chose the right basis, but I think I can not change the basis here. So I think I can not further restrict it from that.
Right?

Juqon said:
Ok, thanks, I have read that.

with the condition for the trace:
a+d+e=1 => e=0: a+d=1;
e=1: a=d=0
For e=1, you can say a+d=0, which isn't quite the same as saying a=d=0.
and since the matrix is hermitian and p^T=p:
b = c, c € |R
Both b and c can be complex. At best you can say c=b*.
On the page you linked to it says only one element on the diagonale can be different from zero when you chose the right basis, but I think I can not change the basis here. So I think I can not further restrict it from that.
Right?
Yes, I agree. I think the problem wants you to find a general form for the density matrix.

1. What are the conditions for a density matrix to be valid?

The conditions for a density matrix to be valid are that it must be a Hermitian matrix, with all eigenvalues between 0 and 1, and the sum of all elements must equal 1.

2. How is a density matrix constructed?

A density matrix is constructed by taking the outer product of a quantum state vector with itself, and then normalizing the resulting matrix.

3. Can a density matrix be used to describe a classical system?

No, a density matrix is specifically used for describing quantum mechanical systems and cannot be applied to classical systems.

4. What is the significance of the diagonal elements in a density matrix?

The diagonal elements in a density matrix represent the probability of finding a system in a particular quantum state. They can also be used to calculate the expected value of an observable for a given system.

5. How does the density matrix change under unitary evolution?

Under unitary evolution, the density matrix transforms according to the equation ρ' = UρU†, where U is the unitary operator representing the evolution of the system. This transformation preserves the Hermitian and trace conditions of the density matrix.