Time Dilation: Einstein's Theory of Time-Shift

In summary, the conversation is about the theory of relativity, specifically the twin paradox, which states that as one approaches light speed, their perception of time slows down. The conversation also includes a request for a good resource for understanding basic physics.
Belcher
Hi, sorry if the title was misleading, but there's something that has been bothering me for awhile. What is the name of the theory (Einstein's?) which states that as you approach light speed your conception of time is 'skewed.'

A theoretical example: You're in a vehicle that's going almost at light speed. When you stop, what is a 'year' for you is, much, much longer for somebody else.

Maybe I mucked it up, or misunderstood it in the first place, but I believe it was (Something)-shift.

Thanks for any help.

P.S., if anyone could point me in the direction of a good book/source concerning rudimentary physics, I'd be greatly appreciative! I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject, sadly.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time passes at different rates for objects moving at different speeds. It is a key component of Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How does time dilation work?

Time dilation occurs because the speed of light is constant and the laws of physics must be the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that time appears to slow down for objects in motion compared to those at rest.

3. What is the significance of time dilation?

Time dilation has significant implications for space travel and our understanding of the universe. It explains why astronauts experience time differently in space compared to on Earth, and it also plays a role in GPS technology.

4. Can time dilation be observed?

Yes, time dilation has been observed through various experiments and observations, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment and the GPS satellites. However, the effects are only noticeable at extremely high speeds or in the presence of strong gravitational forces.

5. Does time dilation only occur in space?

No, time dilation can occur in any situation where there is relative motion between objects. This can include objects on Earth, such as airplanes, or even in our everyday lives, though the effects are too small to be noticeable in most cases.