Calculating diameter of a filter using only flow rate

In summary: Can somebody please help me out?In summary, a person has a problem calculating the size of a water filter based on only the flow rate of the pipe, the diameter of the piping, and the pressure of the inlet water. They need to know the type and specifications of the filter, and the relation between pressure and flow rate may be based on experiment.
mathsTKK
i have got a problem with a calculation involving a filter, i hope you all with lend me a helping hand.

to calculate a diameter of a cylinder is rather easy, but how to determine the size of the water filter knowing only the flow rate of the pipe, diameter of the piping and the pressure of the inlet water

i hope there will be a formula to calculate it to make it easier.

Engineering news on Phys.org
To know the pressure difference across a filter with respect flow rate is not going to be a trivial equation. You would need to know the type and specifications of the filter and this relation would probably be based on experiment. You could model the filter as a porous plug perhaps which equations do exist for.

but the filter is made of iron and steel, so i don't think it will fixed the equation, since it is about the porous one. can i know is this a study of fluid dynamic or anything else?

Along the lines of what Topher mentioned, if you go through a filter supplier of any kind, they will supply the deta P across their product vs flowrate. You may be able, with some flow testing, to establish an effictive orifice area that would simulate your filter and make the calculations easier.

From my experience (not much), suppliers usually only give you a K value to determine your pressure across the filter. This is a similar value to what suppliers will give with valves, elbows, and other components that will create a drop in pressure. That is, the K is to be used in the equation;

gH = KV2/2

Where;
g = gravity
H = pressure head
K = loss coefficient (given by supplier)
V = Velocity of the fluid

so, how can i apply this equation?
as a clerk in a wastewater company, i am responsible in calculating the best fit size of the water filter(basically to find the diameter) by knowing only the pressure of the water supply and the water consumption rate of either a condominium or something else.
i find it hard to relate each of this variable as i think there is a formula to calculate it accurately.

1. What is the formula for calculating the diameter of a filter using only flow rate?

The formula for calculating the diameter of a filter using only flow rate is: D = (Q * 4) / (π * V), where D is the diameter of the filter, Q is the flow rate, and V is the velocity of the fluid passing through the filter.

2. Can this formula be used for all types of filters?

Yes, this formula can be used for all types of filters as long as the flow rate and velocity are known.

3. What are the units for flow rate and velocity in this formula?

The flow rate should be in units of volume per unit time, such as liters per minute or gallons per hour. The velocity should be in units of length per unit time, such as meters per second or feet per minute.

4. Is there a specific value for π that should be used in this formula?

Yes, the value for π used in this formula is typically 3.14, but more accurate calculations can be made using a more precise value, such as 3.14159.

5. What are some factors that may affect the accuracy of this calculation?

The accuracy of this calculation may be affected by factors such as variations in the flow rate or velocity, changes in the properties of the fluid being filtered, and any obstructions or irregularities in the filter itself.