Can You Disprove the 2012 Conspiracy Theory?

• Thread starter Glennage
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the 2012 end-of-the-world scare and how to shut down those who believe in it. The person suggests offering money to someone who believes in it, but acknowledges that it won't work. They also mention a film called "Religilous" that deals with similar topics. The conversation then shifts to discussing the Mayan calendar and the idea of "Cellular Consciousness." The person doubts the validity of these ideas and questions whether there is any truth to them. They also mention that the Mayan calendar clicking to a new digit will not have any effect. There is then a discussion about proof and evidence to disprove these theories. The conversation ends with a humorous suggestion to offer money to someone
Glennage
I have arguments with him all the time, not in a harsh manner, but in a good way. I don't believe 2012, he does. But I am not sure what to say to his latest addition.

Here is the link:

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message703178/pg1

Any ideas to shut them down? (not the site, i just mean shut them up in a nice way lol) I would be grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Offer him $1000 now for his house/car - which you will collect in 2013

Lol - that's quite a good answer, but one which won't stand up.

There's some crazy people on that website, I have tried telling them lots of things, but they just won't believe me.

It's like that film...Ummmm...Religilous I think it was called.

Recommended by the way.

This 2012 thing is far from the first and will not be the last end-of-the-world scare. There are always going to be fools who want the world to end, other fools who are afraid the world will end. There will also always be people who don't believe any of this hogwash but see that suckering these fools is a way to get rich.

You probably are not going to convince the first two groups that this is bunk because they would rather wallow in their self-loathing / fear than see things rationally. You are definitely not going to convince the third group that this is bunk. They already know it is bunk, but admitting that this is the case would put an end to their money-making endeavors.

Lol - well said, take my hat off to you, been saying this to these people for a long time, but it goes no further in there mind,

To be honest though, I don't know how to debunk anything he put in that thread because..It's all about "Cellular Consciousness" - I don't know anything about this, is what he said true?

Wouldn't mind learning about what he is on about...

Glennage said:
Wouldn't mind learning about what he is on about...
In december 2012 a Mayan calendar clicks round from 12.19.19.17.19 to 13.0.0.0.0

This will cause the same Y2K problems for any computers programmed using the Mayan calendar which don't bother using the full set of digits. But you are probably safe since most Maya computer software used the full long count set of digits.

Now that confused me :S

What I actually meant was is there any truth to the consciouss babble he was talking about?

Glennage said:
What I actually meant was is there any truth to the consciouss babble he was talking about?

That the calendar of some people living 1000 years ago happens to click to a new digit ? - Yes
That this will have any effect at all ? - no

What people is he referring to? The Mayans? All they did was predict a few eclipses. Now all I hear is "Dawn of Aquarious" - Wtf?

But it's easy to say to them, No it won't happen...But do we have any proof to say NO?

mgb_phys said:
Offer him $1000 now for his house/car - which you will collect in 2013

Brilliant:rofl:

We don't discuss 2012 theories here.

1. Can you provide solid evidence to disprove the 2012 conspiracy theory?

Yes, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that the world was supposed to end in 2012. Many predictions and claims made about the 2012 conspiracy have been debunked by scientific studies and analysis.

2. What about the Mayan calendar ending on December 21, 2012?

The Mayan calendar ending in 2012 was simply the end of a cycle and the start of a new one, similar to how our calendar ends on December 31st and begins again on January 1st. The Mayans did not predict any catastrophic events to occur on this date.

3. What about the alignment of planets in 2012?

There was no significant planetary alignment in 2012 that could have caused any catastrophic events. Even if there were, the gravitational pull of planetary alignment is too weak to have any major impact on Earth.

4. What about the prediction of a pole shift in 2012?

There is no scientific evidence to support the idea of a sudden shift in Earth's magnetic poles, which would have caused chaos and destruction. The Earth's magnetic poles do shift over time, but it is a gradual process and not a sudden event.

5. What about the claim that the government is hiding the truth about 2012?

There is no evidence to support this claim. In fact, many government agencies, including NASA, have publicly debunked the 2012 conspiracy theory and provided scientific evidence to disprove it. It is important to rely on credible sources rather than baseless claims and theories.