How to Calculate Normal Force in a Physics Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the normal force exerted by a box on a supporting surface when it is being pulled forward at a constant speed by a force at an angle of 37 degrees. The formula for resolving the force vector into its horizontal and vertical components using basic trigonometry is mentioned, but the person providing the summary encourages the other person to draw a free body diagram and figure out the solution on their own instead of simply giving them the formula. A diagram is provided to help clarify the problem.
texasgirl03

Homework Statement

If a box that weighs 536N is pulled forward at a constant speed by a force of 150N at an angle of 37 degreees with the ground, what normal force does thte box exert on the supporting surface?

( I am really not sure at all where to begin) formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi texasgirl03,

You know the magnitude of the force pulling on the box and its angle from the horizontal. So, you can resolve this force into two components, one acting vertically, and the other acting horizontally. That's the starting point.

Do you know what a free body diagram is? It would be helpful to draw one here.

Okay i understand so far.. but what is the formula?

If you draw a triangle with the force at 37 degrees from the horizontal, you can use basic trigonometry to get the horizontal and vertical components of that force (the trigonometric ratios, sine and cosine, are what will be used). Draw the triangle that resolves the force vector into its components and it will be clear.

I do not know how to do that. that's why i am asking. I just wanted the formula.

texasgirl03 said:
I do not know how to do that. that's why i am asking. I just wanted the formula.

No disrespect, but drawing a right-angled triangle and applying basic trigonometry are both things that you should know how to do, and if I just give you the answer, you won't really learn much.

Draw the force vector at an angle of 37 degrees from the horizontal. Now, you can see that this vector can be represented as the sum of two other component vectors, a horizontal component, and a vertical component. Together these two components add up in the usual way for vector addition to produce the force vector. These three vectors form a right-angled triangle. The ratio of the side of the triangle that is opposite to the angle to the hypotenuse is the sine of that angle. The ratio of the adjacent side and hypotenuse is the cosine of the angle. That is what you need to know in order to calculate the horizontal and vertical components (but I am not going to tell you which one is which).

Hi Texasgirl03,

Take a look a the diagram and see if it makes the problem any clearer.
Notice that there's two forces acting upwards the Normal force (N) & the y component of the 150N force (Ty), and one force pulling downwards (Fg). Find Ty and remember that according to Newton's Second Law (∑ F = m*a), the sum of all forces in the y direction will equal the object's mass * acceleration. See if you can figure it out from here.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5277/31121313.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the definition of Normal force?

Normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it, perpendicular to the surface.

2. How do you calculate Normal force?

Normal force can be calculated using the formula N = mg + ma, where N is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object in the vertical direction.

3. What is the difference between Normal force and Weight?

Normal force and weight are two different forces that act on an object. Normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it, while weight is the force of gravity pulling an object towards the center of the earth. Normal force is always perpendicular to the surface, while weight is always directed towards the center of the earth.

4. How does the angle of inclination affect Normal force?

The angle of inclination does not affect the magnitude of Normal force, but it does affect the components of the force in the horizontal and vertical directions. As the angle increases, the horizontal component of Normal force decreases while the vertical component increases.

5. What are some real-life examples of Normal force?

Some examples of Normal force in real life include the force exerted by a chair on a person sitting on it, the force exerted by the ground on a person standing on it, and the force exerted by a table on objects placed on top of it.