What are the pros and cons of the new Google search layout?

In summary, users are discussing the new Google search results layout and most are not happy with it. Some feel it is too busy and distracting, while others think Google is trying to copy Bing's layout. Some users suggest using Google Mobile instead, while others mention that the layout has reverted back to the original for them. One user suggests clearing cache and cookies, while another shares that the new layout only affects Internet Explorer. A few links to videos are also shared.
Physics news on Phys.org
Jack21222 said:
It's far too busy and distracting for me. The reason I've been using Google all these years was the simplicity of their search results. How about you guys?

Definitely agree with you here... I don't like this new layout at all... It's like they are trying to steal the layout from Bing or whatever.

Probably becoming irrelevant most browsers search google form the address bar - I just checked and google.com wasn't even in my 30day cache

mgb_phys said:
Probably becoming irrelevant most browsers search google form the address bar - I just checked and google.com wasn't even in my 30day cache

It still takes you to the google results page. You don't need to go to google.com in order to reach the results page.

Just another way to expand their marketing.

I don't like it.

I should have probably added a poll. Oh well.

Ask Evo, I'm sure she can set it up in this post for you.

I'm not sure what's different about it. Is the change to the iGoogle layout? I couldn't stand iGoogle to begin with.

Jack21222 said:
I should have probably added a poll. Oh well.
Tell me what poll options you want.

Its really.. really.. REALLY effing annoying. I am contemplating using another search engine from now on

cronxeh said:
Its really.. really.. REALLY effing annoying. I am contemplating using another search engine from now on

I have google open right now. I don't see the difference. What is it? Only iGoogle?

TheStatutoryApe said:
I have google open right now. I don't see the difference. What is it? Only iGoogle?

Search for something. The search results page has a bar on left side with various useless crap.

BUT fear not, fellow PFers! As was posted on google forums, there is an easy solution to this

http://www.google.com/m

Use Google Mobile!

Ok, oddly enough, google search has reverted back to its normal layout for me. Maybe they got a lot of negative feedback?

I'll hold off on suggesting a poll until they make up their mind on what to do

Jack21222 said:
Ok, oddly enough, google search has reverted back to its normal layout for me. Maybe they got a lot of negative feedback?

I'll hold off on suggesting a poll until they make up their mind on what to do

Clear your cache and cookies.

The earlier user interface was too good, I guess they decided to screw it.

cronxeh said:
Search for something. The search results page has a bar on left side with various useless crap.

I did. And didn't see it. Just cleared my cache and everything. Still nothing out of the ordinary. There seems to be an empty space on the left. I am unsure if that space was always there.

Oddly enough my mac does not see the updated version, I have Firefox browser here. Maybe it only affects Internet Explorer (to make them see no difference between google and bing)

I've attached what the new layout looks like. I must warn you, the images may disturb you.

Last edited:
cronxeh said:
Oddly enough my mac does not see the updated version, I have Firefox browser here. Maybe it only affects Internet Explorer (to make them see no difference between google and bing)

I've attached what the new layout looks like. I must warn you, the images may disturb you.

What are you doing using IE? I'm using Firefox and Opera. Doesn't show up on either of them for me.

edit: never mind, I just checked again and it does now.

A couple of classics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXnJraKM3k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwqPYeTSYng

1. What is the new Google search layout?

The new Google search layout is an updated version of the previous search layout that displays search results in a cleaner and more organized manner. It also includes new features such as the addition of a side panel for filters and options.

2. How is the new Google search layout different from the old one?

The new Google search layout features a more modern and simplified design, making it easier for users to navigate and find what they are looking for. It also includes new features such as the ability to view search results in a grid view and the option to save specific searches for later.

3. How does the new Google search layout benefit users?

The new Google search layout offers a more user-friendly experience with its cleaner design and added features. It allows for more efficient searching by providing easier access to filters and options, and also provides a more visually appealing display of search results.

4. Can I customize the new Google search layout?

Yes, the new Google search layout allows for some customization options. Users can change the display density of search results, switch between grid and list view, and also save specific searches for future use.

5. How can I switch back to the old Google search layout?

Currently, there is no option to switch back to the old Google search layout. However, Google regularly updates and improves its features, so it is possible that the layout may change in the future. Users can provide feedback to Google if they have any concerns or suggestions about the new layout.