What are the top products currently making headlines in the news and why?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the Toyota recall does not concern Tsu and I at all. Tillamook Extra Sharp, White, Cheddar Cheese; aged two years+ is great for nachos. Dell Computers - can't beat the customer service. I can buy a computer with an extended warranty and forget about any problems for at least three years. Nutella is the wolf-in-sheep's-clothing of food. But mmmm so good.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
One in the news: Tsu and I are huge Toyota fans. The current problems do not concern us at all.

Tillamook Extra Sharp, White, Cheddar Cheese; aged two years+ Mmmmm, makes the best nachos!

If I'm going to eat a microwave dinner, about all that I can tolerate is Marie Calendar brand, which is often pretty decent for MW.

I love my Bunn Coffee Maker

Dell Computers - can't beat the customer service. I can buy a computer with an extended warranty and forget about any problems for at least three years. They even replaced a screen that I damaged through carelessness. When I consider the potential down time due to computer problems, the price of the warranty is insignificant. Also, I don't have to send anything away to the factory and wait for repairs. They either ship the parts or send someone to my house. I've bought seven Dells, I think [one for my parents], and plan to buy more.

Nirvana [Belgian] Chocolates. We got hooked while in Europe and have bought some at least once a year ever since.

Speaking of Europe - Nutella hazelnut spread is great stuff! Only recently have I seen it in local stores.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
Speaking of Europe - Nutella hazelnut spread is great stuff! Only recently have I seen it in local stores.

Nutella is the wolf-in-sheep's-clothing of food. It pretends to be a healthy food like peanut butter, but it's still a chocolate-bar-in-a-jar.

But mmmm so good...

DaveC426913 said:
Nutella is the wolf-in-sheep's-clothing of food. It pretends to be a healthy food like peanut butter, but it's still a chocolate-bar-in-a-jar.

But mmmm so good...

Actually, if you listen to their commercial carefully, they only say that it goes good with foods that are good for you. :rofl: Had to lol when I heard that one!

Formula 409 spray cleaner. I am sure its not good for the planet, but boy does it clean well.
Hefty zip-loc freezer storage bags, they are the best for long term freezing{get as much air out as possible}.
PT Barnum Animal Crackers, because they are great dipping in Nutella.

Ivan Seeking said:
Actually, if you listen to their commercial carefully, they only say that it goes good with foods that are good for you. :rofl: Had to lol when I heard that one!
I know. But it's got my wife convinced. And I have to battle her at the store to keep it from coming home.

Heckler & Koch Volkswagen TDI OpenSource software OpenOffice.org Maxima GIMP HP-48GX Chemex coffee maker

Nescafé instant coffee, Styrian Milk, Vienna Lump Sugar, Siemens Mikrowelle

Hunt's petite diced tomatoes, in sauce, Boursin cheese, San Marcos mild pickled jalapenos, Marie Calendar's frozen foods, Quaker five minute grits, Snap-E-Tom tomato chile juice, Knorr Swiss bouillion, Jimmy Dean's Breakfast Sausage.

Ah, my Nike Equalon running shoes :!).

I LOVE Nutella! It's perfect spread on a croissant. I can get the Nutella in stores here easily enough, but getting a good croissant is a challenge. I miss NJ for things like that.

I have one of those really expensive Keurig coffee makers, the kind that makes a single cup at a time, always has the water heated and ready, and a reservoir to refill quickly. While it doesn't make as good of a cup as brewing freshly ground beans in a drip coffee maker or French press, it is a lifesaver first thing in the morning, especially since the "drip tray" can hold almost a full cup of coffee. :uhh: Yeah, I found that out by forgetting to put the cup under it one morning. This is precisely why I need my coffee quickly and it cuts about 10 min off my morning routine, which makes me love it even more. :biggrin:

The Furminator deShedding tool is fantastic. My wife brought one home today, and Duke loves being brushed with it. It effectively removes undercoat fur on cats and dogs, and comes in several sizes. I have been using an old-fashioned wire carding brush on him, but it's a very slow grooming process. The Furminator let's you remove loose undercoat fur by the handfuls, in no time. Got a dog or cat, and want to reduce shedding and pet hair on your furniture and clothing? This is the ultimate grooming tool!

Best of all, Duke thinks it feels good (even better than the wire brush) and keeps turning around to lap my hand while I'm grooming him. If you shop around, you can find one on-line for a little over $20, or you can go nuts and pay your vet almost $50 for one. (please, no!)

Doral cigarettes, Amour Vienna Sausages, Texas Pete hot sauce, generic instant coffee, ahh life is good.

Eneloop batteries and my Maha MH-C9000 charger, absolutely the best. Use these batteries in everything from cameras to remote controls, they retain 85% of their power even after sitting for a year. Have to plug my Valentine One radar detector, saved me from a ticket last week. Also love my LED flashlights, Fenix and Nitecore are two good brands.

Polymorph!
http://www.mutr.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=550&osCsid=d873bf5369cae36a5427814ad761735f [Broken]
Called 'friendly plastic' or 'shapelock' in the US

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/1408/android102001.jpg [Broken]

And...

Fimo
!
http://fimo.com/FIMO_classic_eng.Staedtler?ActiveID=136137

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/5530/58669702.jpg [Broken]
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/9059/jonanderson1.jpg [Broken]

I would love to explain how the above sculptures where made (by artist Jon Anderson). It's a long and drawn-out process called millefiori (thousand flowers) with its roots in traditional Italian glass making. It would take far too long to explain though. Fimo (or polymer clay) has to be the most versatile arts medium known to humanity.

And Fimo is way better than Polymorph.

Last edited by a moderator:
Helios said:
Doral cigarettes, Amour Vienna Sausages, Texas Pete hot sauce, generic instant coffee, ahh life is good.

Living the good life?

Mine are:
snuggie_burgandy_1000.jpg

mine is light brown, although a zebra stripe is the next one i want!
stock-photo-glass-teapot-with-blooming-flower-green-tea-on-white-background-29663860.jpg

who knew flowers could bloom in a teapot??
chair.jpg

this chair is much more comfortable then it looks

Kerrie said:
snuggie_burgandy_1000.jpg

mine is light brown, although a zebra stripe is the next one i want!
Your hot model is light brown? And you want a zebra-striped hot model?? Kinky...

I LOVE nutella on a crepe with slices of banana. Too good. Add some whipped cream for extra deliciousness. Make sure the crepe+nutella are hot though.

Hmm I used to like HP computers but after I got my laptop from their company and the entire plastic casing basically broke (apparently it's made out of recycled film... yay) and the monitor frame broke I lost that interest. Right now my laptop screen has to be placed against something to stop it from opening backwards too far or closing (nothing makes it stay in place)

I LOVE blackberries. I don't have one anymore ATM had to get rid of it when I quit my job but when I stopped using it I felt like a part of me had been ripped out.

I like McDonalds SouthWest crispy chicken sandwich with no leaf lettuce no tomatoe and add shredded lettuce! Oh goddd so good.

Hmm I like colognes a lot too. I have a lot, which kind of sucks thinking about it cause each bottle is about 70-100$ :cry: so much moneyyy!:
Lacoste Essentials (it is essential for every man to have this)
Swiss Army Classic
Diesel
Armani Attitude
Versace Fraiche
212 SexyMan
Davidoff Adventure
Those are my favorites hahahah yeah.. it's a lot. I like smelling good for the ladies though.

zomgwtf said:
Diesel

I prefer Midnight Pasture

Ivan Seeking said:
I prefer Midnight Pasture

:rofl:

Wait no mention of tools or workgear?

Some Great Handtool Products:
Klein Lineman's Pliers. (and screwdrivers).. duh
A Lenox heavy duty Hacksaw.
A Greenlee Pocket-sized earthmagnet Level.
A Fatmax Tape ruler with a magnetic tip that glows in the dark.

Work Clothes
Red Wing the Tungsten Carbide-steel Toed Railway Worker Boots with nylon covers that are electrically insulated (sadly discontinued :( .)
Carhart Jackets
Danner socks.

Casual Clothes :
New balance athletic shoes.
Most of the cheap clothes at Old Navy.

Nerdgear:
A Texas Instruments Scientific Calculator.

Last edited:
For winter wear, it's hard to beat LL Bean's flannel-lined jeans. They are soft and warm, and they last longer than the major brands.

[strike]ComfortWipe. It's so useful and sanitary![/strike]

I really happen to like my Nespresso. World-class coffee in 30 seconds for 50 cents a cup. Hard to beat that. The only drawback is that you have to order the coffee in rather large bulks.

Clothing... I have a pretty nice skin jacket for outside wear. I have a few T-shirts I really like (I can't stand white T-shirts) with various motifs, and I almost always wear my jeans jacket. Together with jeans. Shoot me for it. Almost (or all?) all of my jeans are Crocker, I think. I don't know why, I never look at the brand before buying them. I guess Crocker makes nice jeans.

I only have one pair of shoes. Seriously. Ecco, I believe. But it's largely because I need special-made inner soles to walk properly.

I've also got a KitchenAid Mixer and a Stand Mixer (The ones you knead dough with). Absolutely amazing products and they work for a lifetimes.

Tools... Well, I did like my airbrush a lot... The three times it worked. Maybe I shouldn't get the cheapest one next time. X-acto scalpells are really useful for model building, too.

Tea Forté makes amazing teas, I need to order some more of that. I had some cacao powder which was really great, but I can't remember the name at the moment... Oh well.

That's about what I can think of... Oh, Casall makes great training equipment, too. Got my barbell and crosstrainer yesterday, time to get fit, ho-hoh.

Whey Protein Isolate.
In any product.

It really does seem to be as healthy and nutritious as the literature suggests.
This might be a psychosomatic effect but when I ingest it mixed in with milk at certain times during the day I do actually feel revitalized and less exhausted all throughout my week.

Ive been eating a more protein rich diet along with doing a regime of intense freeweight exercises and.. its working. My body feels solid and sturdy and stronger than it ever did. My posture is better and I generally feel more positive and more confident and experience less stress. I think a major part of my previous depression was nutrition and part of that was a lack of protein.

I think whey protein isolate and sometimes called milk protein isolate is the real deal.

DaveC426913 said:

But mmmm so good...

peanut butter is good for you?? Since when has that carb to fat ratio been good for you. how many peanuts have to be eaten to get the same concentration of energy, fat and carbs as 1 teaspoon of peanut butter

sherriffwoody said:
peanut butter is good for you?? Since when has that carb to fat ratio been good for you. how many peanuts have to be eaten to get the same concentration of energy, fat and carbs as 1 teaspoon of peanut butter
It's very good for you.

http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/23/6/660 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll go to live in isolated island if you give me enough "Coca Cola" and "Mars" chocolates.

Macbook, Top Ramen, and Ford Ranger

In that order

---------------------------------------------------

I would mention the brand of the boat which has brought me more joy than you can imagine over the last 20 years, but I'm sure any other boat would have given me as much pleasure.
And they stopped making them 45 years ago, so I'm sure they do not count.

Kahtoola MICROspikes - the high quality light traction devices that the Hiking/Mountaineering world has long been waiting for.

6219-564049-d.jpg

Had an issue without newest Dell computer. Suddenly I got the blue screen of death upon boot, even in safe mode. Being that I have a full warranty, I just called and let them talk me through it.

Since then, they have called twice just to make sure everything is still working properly! Now THAT is great customer service!

My favorite kitchen tools are Thiers-Issard knives. They are the best of the best, and the only company that deserves to use the Sabatier name, IMO. Other companies using that name are riding on Thiers-Issard's reputation and putting out lower-quality products.

Get a T-I 6" chef's knife and a Santoku and most of your food-prep/chopping chores are covered. Add a cleaver, a heavy butcher's knife, and a few paring knives (almost any decent brand will do), and you've got a well-equipped cutlery block.

Zout!

Got stains... don't pout, Zout gets the stains out.
(Even that tasty sauerkraut, and that liverwurst made from pigs' snout).
It works so well, you'll want to shout.

Clothes looking so good you can tout about some clout,
Without getting called a lout...
As long as you don't spout so much to get in a bout.
(Remember to act like an Eagle Scout!)

Unfortunately it can do nothing about your gout.
(For that -- you should consider that fact you're too stout...)

It also won't help you snare a trout,
it won't help you repair your grout,
And it won't help your veggies sprout -- when there's a drought.

For those tasks, you'll need to go some other route.

Seriously, I use about a third of a bottle for every load of "baby laundry," but it does get almost all stains out (excepting the felt-tip ink pens I like to use... and that little E likes to steal off the edge of my desk and use to write on herself -- augh!). I've suggested this to all kinds of other people -- including my mom, and they agree it's the best clothes stain remover on the market.

I also couldn't live without my steam generator iron.

physics girl phd said:
Zout!

Got stains... don't pout, Zout gets the stains out.
(Even that tasty sauerkraut, and that liverwurst made from pigs' snout).
It works so well, you'll want to shout.

Clothes looking so good you can tout about some clout,
Without getting called a lout...
As long as you don't spout so much to get in a bout.
(Remember to act like an Eagle Scout!)

Unfortunately it can do nothing about your gout.
(For that -- you should consider that fact you're too stout...)

It also won't help you snare a trout,
it won't help you repair your grout,
And it won't help your veggies sprout -- when there's a drought.

For those tasks, you'll need to go some other route.

Seriously, I use about a third of a bottle for every load of "baby laundry," but it does get almost all stains out (excepting the felt-tip ink pens I like to use... and that little E likes to steal off the edge of my desk and use to write on herself -- augh!). I've suggested this to all kinds of other people -- including my mom, and they agree it's the best clothes stain remover on the market.

I also couldn't live without my steam generator iron.
Try the new clorox 2, I haven't found anything (including ink) that it won't get out and it doesn't affect color.

Ivan Seeking said:
Had an issue without newest Dell computer. Suddenly I got the blue screen of death upon boot, even in safe mode. Being that I have a full warranty, I just called and let them talk me through it.

Since then, they have called twice just to make sure everything is still working properly! Now THAT is great customer service!
HP will call you for weeks after a service call making sure you're still happy and everything is ok.

They came out and installed a new motherboard when mine was initially defective. They wanted to come out in 3 days, but I wasn't available and had to postpone them.

Evo said:
HP will call you for weeks after a service call making sure you're still happy and everything is ok.

They came out and installed a new motherboard when mine was initially defective. They wanted to come out in 3 days, but I wasn't available and had to postpone them.

To me, this is more important that one brand having a slightly better failure rate than another. As long as they fix it fast and make things easy, I'm a happy customer. This assumes of course that I don't see excessive failures or persistent problems, which I've never seen in 7 Dells. [yes, a "Dell" is now a measure of time]

Same with Dell: If its an easy thing to install like a removable drive, they ship it Red. If it gets more involved, either a tech shows up your door with the parts, or a special courier shows up with a box for shipping. We had to ship something once - I think it was Tsu's last computer, when it was new. The turnaround time was about three days, including shipping!

PS, I am really hard on my laptops. When I do field work, the laptop is often exposed to highly unfavorable conditions - temp extremes, humidity extremes [a few times, rain], vibration, air contaminents, ambient pressure changes.

Last edited:
Finally! Someone made a jog bra that is ***awesome***! Damn, this thing is so amazing I think men should wear them too.

The Shock Absorber Sports Bra. Unbelievable. Spendy, but worth it, if you really need a sports bra.

<h2>What are the top products currently making headlines in the news and why?</h2><p>The top products currently making headlines in the news are typically those that are innovative, controversial, or have a significant impact on society. These products often capture the attention of the public and media due to their potential to disrupt industries, improve daily life, or spark debate.</p><h2>What makes a product newsworthy?</h2><p>A product is considered newsworthy if it has a unique or groundbreaking feature, addresses a current issue or trend, or has a significant impact on a large number of people. Products that are innovative, controversial, or have a strong human interest element are also more likely to make headlines.</p><h2>What are some examples of products that have recently made headlines?</h2><p>Some recent examples of products that have made headlines include the iPhone 12, which introduced 5G technology and sparked debates about privacy and security concerns; the Tesla Cybertruck, which garnered attention for its futuristic design and potential to revolutionize the automotive industry; and the Impossible Burger, a plant-based burger that has raised questions about the future of food production and sustainability.</p><h2>How do products impact society and the economy?</h2><p>Products can have a significant impact on society and the economy by creating jobs, influencing consumer behavior, and shaping cultural norms and values. They can also drive economic growth and contribute to technological advancements and societal progress.</p><h2>What role do scientists play in the development of new products?</h2><p>Scientists play a crucial role in the development of new products by conducting research, testing and refining ideas, and providing expertise in various fields such as technology, medicine, and engineering. Their contributions are essential in ensuring that products are safe, effective, and have a positive impact on society.</p>

What are the top products currently making headlines in the news and why?

The top products currently making headlines in the news are typically those that are innovative, controversial, or have a significant impact on society. These products often capture the attention of the public and media due to their potential to disrupt industries, improve daily life, or spark debate.

What makes a product newsworthy?

A product is considered newsworthy if it has a unique or groundbreaking feature, addresses a current issue or trend, or has a significant impact on a large number of people. Products that are innovative, controversial, or have a strong human interest element are also more likely to make headlines.

What are some examples of products that have recently made headlines?

Some recent examples of products that have made headlines include the iPhone 12, which introduced 5G technology and sparked debates about privacy and security concerns; the Tesla Cybertruck, which garnered attention for its futuristic design and potential to revolutionize the automotive industry; and the Impossible Burger, a plant-based burger that has raised questions about the future of food production and sustainability.

How do products impact society and the economy?

Products can have a significant impact on society and the economy by creating jobs, influencing consumer behavior, and shaping cultural norms and values. They can also drive economic growth and contribute to technological advancements and societal progress.

What role do scientists play in the development of new products?

Scientists play a crucial role in the development of new products by conducting research, testing and refining ideas, and providing expertise in various fields such as technology, medicine, and engineering. Their contributions are essential in ensuring that products are safe, effective, and have a positive impact on society.

Back