What do you mean Calculus and beyond ?

• Thread starter ArcanaNoir
  • Start date
In summary, the forum section "Calculus and Beyond" refers to math problems that are more advanced than high school calculus and includes courses that require the use of calculus or have calculus as an implicit pre-requisite, even if there is no calculus involved. This forum section gets a lot more traffic compared to the "Precalc" section. It would also be appropriate to post questions about logic in this section, particularly questions about proofs and invalidity in predicate and relational predicate logic.
ArcanaNoir
What do you mean "Calculus and beyond"?

Hi I have a rules question.

Regarding the division of the math homework section into "pre-calc" and "calc and beyond",
Does "calc and beyond" refer to math that requires the use of calculus only, or does it mean calculus based courses and any courses with calculus as an implicit pre-req (calc was the pre-req for the pre-req), even if there is no calculus involved? Example: group theory stuff.

Physics news on Phys.org

You are correct that Calc and Beyond is where you would post group theory stuff, though I would disagree that calculus is an implicit prereq for group theory.

I think It's an absurd categorization. You don't need to know any thing from Calculus to study group theory, you'll only need a bit of Calculus (like complex numbers) and also linear algebra to create interesting examples of groups.
I guess they mean that anything more advanced than simple high school calculus must be put in this subforum.

(thread moved to Feedback)

I think the division is meant to separate the problems in difficulty, not so much in whether calc would be a prerequisite. Your categorization of anything beyond high school math is probably pretty close.

Other Mentors may have different takes on it though...

Kreizhn said:
I would disagree that calculus is an implicit prereq for group theory.

Well at my university calc 3 is the pre-req for intro to abstract math which is the pre-req for linear algebra which is the pre-req for elementary abstract algebra which is where i"m doing group theory.

berkeman said:
(thread moved to Feedback)

Arg, that's where I was going to put this at first but then I thought I would get deferred back to the relevant (homework help) sub-section.

So a question about where to put something while questioning where to put the question... PF can be a maze sometimes! :confused:

ArcanaNoir said:
Arg, that's where I was going to put this at first but then I thought I would get deferred back to the relevant (homework help) sub-section.

So a question about where to put something while questioning where to put the question... PF can be a maze sometimes! :confused:

You owe me a new keyboard. Dang Diet Coke... :biggrin:

It depends a lot on the forum in question (and I don't normally do any Moderating in the math forums, but it's a weekend and I wanted to try to respond to your question).

In the physics forums, for example, posts have to have actual physics content. If a question is posted about what it's like to be a working physicist, it gets moved to Career Guidance. If it's a question about physics courses, it gets moved to Academic Guidance. If it's a question asking for help writing a realistic science fiction novel, it gets moved to General Discussion, and so on.

In the Engineering forums, I'm a bit looser about moving stuff out, depending on what the question is. Often I'll leave "what's it like to be a working XX engineer" questions in the technical engineering forum for a bit, to see how it goes. But other times I'll move stuff to the more correct forum, to keep the technical forums less cluttered.

In the case of "where to post" questions, those will generally belong in Feedback. Forum organization and similar questions are generally best answered by the Admins and Mentors looking through the Feedback Forum. If it's a complicated enough question, we'll start a thread in the Mentor forums to discuss the issues involved.

Hope that helps. Back to cleaning my keyboard...

Isn't "Calculus and beyond" simply the forum where you ask about calculus and everything that's normally taught after an introductory calculus course (regardless of whether it has anything to do with calculus). This is only a bad way to arrange the topics if it means that this forum gets a lot more posts than than the others. I haven't checked if it does.

AdrianZ said:
I think It's an absurd categorization. You don't need to know any thing from Calculus to study group theory, you'll only need a bit of Calculus (like complex numbers) and also linear algebra to create interesting examples of groups.
I guess they mean that anything more advanced than simple high school calculus must be put in this subforum.

We considered the typical math education progression. You will be introduced to group theory after taking a few calculus courses, on average, in the US.

Thanks for the word, Greg :)

Fredrik said:
Isn't "Calculus and beyond" simply the forum where you ask about calculus and everything that's normally taught after an introductory calculus course (regardless of whether it has anything to do with calculus). This is only a bad way to arrange the topics if it means that this forum gets a lot more posts than than the others. I haven't checked if it does.
My sense is that "Calculus & Beyond" gets a lot more traffic than the Precalc section.

Fredrik said:
... This is only a bad way to arrange the topics if it means that this forum gets a lot more posts than than the others. I haven't checked if it does.
Mark44 said:
My sense is that "Calculus & Beyond" gets a lot more traffic than the Precalc section.
C&B seems to get about 4-5 times as many posts as Precalc. Still, it would seem weird to have questions about group theory and linear algebra in the same area where people are asking about factoring a quadratic.

Since my question is similar to Arcana's, I figured I'd post it here instead of creating a new thread.

Where would questions for a course on logic fit? I've had a few questions in the recent past, and I just posted them in Calculus and Beyond thinking that most students don't take a course on logic before calculus, but it is certainly possible since calculus isn't a prerequisite for it. I guess it would also be relevant within the computer science realm.

To be specific, I'd be asking questions about proofs and invalidity in predicate and relational predicate logic. My main reason for wanting to post in this area is really to check my work. The back of our text only provides answers to selected exercises and I like to work every single exercise at the end of a section. Would it clutter the forum if I were to post some of the exercises I've worked that don't have answers provided in the text? I've already done this a few times without asking and haven't been reprimanded, but I don't want to assume it's permissible without an okay from the staff.

1. What is Calculus and how is it different from other branches of math?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and includes the concepts of derivatives, integrals, and limits. It is different from other branches of math in that it focuses on the behavior and properties of continuous functions.

2. Why is Calculus considered to be a difficult subject?

Calculus is considered difficult because it involves abstract concepts and requires a solid understanding of algebra and geometry. It also requires a lot of practice and critical thinking skills to solve complex problems.

3. What are some real-world applications of Calculus?

Calculus has many real-world applications, including engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It is used to model and solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and motion.

4. Can Calculus be used to solve problems in other fields of study?

Yes, Calculus can be applied to various fields of study, including biology, chemistry, and even music. It provides a powerful tool for analyzing and understanding the behavior of complex systems and phenomena.

5. What comes after Calculus in terms of higher level math?

After Calculus, students typically move on to study more advanced topics such as multivariable calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and real analysis. These subjects build upon the concepts and techniques learned in Calculus and are essential for many STEM careers.