Why does a magnetic field repel moving charges?

by quantumfoam
Tags: charges, field, magnetic, moving, repel
quantumfoam
Feb14-13, 10:24 PM
P: 117
I recently stumbled into a Youtube video of a man explaining why a magnetic force on a moving charge appears. He said it was due to the interactions between the charges magnetic field and the external magnetic field. Is this true? I am not sure because he has posted a bunch of very helpful videos on electromagnetism. I don't expect him to be some sort of crackpot theorist.
sophiecentaur
Feb15-13, 03:47 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,390
Quote Quote by quantumfoam View Post
I recently stumbled into a Youtube video of a man explaining why a magnetic force on a moving charge appears. He said it was due to the interactions between the charges magnetic field and the external magnetic field. Is this true? I am not sure because he has posted a bunch of very helpful videos on electromagnetism. I don't expect him to be some sort of crackpot theorist.
That's one way of looking at it. The other way is to consider the relativistic effect on the charges that are moving to set up the magnetic field (e.g. electrons moving in the wires of an electromagnet.). That way, it can all be explained in terms of electric forces. The alternatives are all valid, apparently.

Register to reply