calculate the flow velocity

by supernova1387
Tags: bernoulli, fluid, velocity
supernova1387
Jul7-13, 09:14 AM
P: 30
This might be simple but I can't remember how to do it.

problem: we have 2 tanks. One filled with atmospheric air at 1 bar and the other is vacuum. The two tanks are connected by a rigid pipe which has a valve. I open the valve and air flows to the vacuum tank. How do I calculate the air velocity?

P.s: I don't think Bernoulli is valid here because the flow isn't steady I guess. Please state your assumptions clearly.

Thanks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Baluncore
Jul7-13, 09:37 AM
Thanks
P: 1,291
Flow velocity depends on the thickness and length of the pipe, and on the temperature of the air.
SteamKing
Jul7-13, 11:23 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,550
Instead of 'thickness' of the pipe, the term 'internal diameter' would be more apt.

boneh3ad
Jul7-13, 11:51 PM
P: 1,440

calculate the flow velocity

Also pay attention to the pressures. The flow is going to start off choked but will eventually un-choke as the pressures equalize.

Register to reply