Silver as an electrode

by Fezziwig
Tags: electrode, silver
Fezziwig
Sep7-13, 07:03 AM
P: 14
If I was to electrolyse a hot sodium chloride solution I'm pretty sure a copper electrode would react to make copper chloride. Whereas I would have used graphite electrodes if the solution was cold, this reaction should produce sodium chlorate which can obviously be quite reactive with organic compounds. The only other thing I have in the house is some spare silver. It's no platinum but it is more inert than copper. Would silver or graphite be safe, or should I only attempt this with platinum?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
New, more versatile version of Geckskin: Gecko-like adhesives now useful for real world surfaces
Researcher develops novel wastewater treatment fabric
Borek
Sep7-13, 09:09 AM
Admin
P: 22,679
Silver is not that noble, especially in the chlorides solution it can be relatively easy oxidized to AgCl.
eigenperson
Sep9-13, 10:28 PM
P: 131
What are you actually trying to do here?

Neither the oxygen gas nor sodium chlorate in aqueous solution, even at 100 degrees, should start a fire with your graphite electrode. Graphite requires very high temperatures to ignite.

Register to reply