Sugar content of ripening fruit

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sugar
In summary, the sweetness of ripe fruits, such as plantains, is due to the breakdown of complex carbohydrates into simple sugars and the production of glucose from proteins and amino acids, rather than from photosynthesis. This process is known as gluconeogenesis and results in a higher sugar content in ripe fruits compared to unripe fruits. Therefore, a black plantain would have a higher sugar content than a green plantain. Photosynthesis is not directly involved in the ripening process, as the photosynthetic material breaks down as fruits ripen.
leroyjenkens
I noticed my plantains get sweeter as they get more ripe. When they're green, they're not sweet at all. When they're black, they're pretty sweet. So what's happening? Are some molecules being converted to sugar? Like, for example, complex carbs being converted to simple carbs? If so, does that mean if I eat a green plantain, I'm not ingesting nearly as much sugar as I am if I eat a black plantain?

Biology news on Phys.org
So what's happening?

Photosynthesis: The Calvin Cycle (for glucose at least). Not sure about fructose...

Pythagorean said:
Photosynthesis: The Calvin Cycle (for glucose at least). Not sure about fructose...

Doesn't photosynthesis require light? Will fruit not ripen in the dark?

Photosynthesis (neither the light-dependent nor -independent) reactions are involved in the sweet flavor that develops as fruits ripen. In fact the photosynthetic material disassembles as fruits ripen (which accounts for the disapearance of their green color). Instead, the sweetness is due to gluconeogenesis (the production of glucose from proteins and amino acids) and the breakdown of complex carbohydrates into simple sugars. For more information see Prasanna et al. 2007. Fruit Ripening Phenomena–An Overview. Critical Review in Food Science and Nutrition 47:1. doi:10.1080/10408390600976841. Here's a relevant exceprt from the article:

The taste development is due to a general increase in sweetness, which is the result of increased gluconeogenesis, hydrolysis of polysaccharides, especially starch, decreased acidity, and accumulation of sugars and organic acids resulting in an excellent sugar/acid blend.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the definition of "sugar content"?

Sugar content refers to the amount of sugar present in a fruit, typically measured in grams per 100 grams of fruit.

2. How does the sugar content of fruit change during ripening?

The sugar content of a fruit increases during the ripening process, as the fruit converts starches into sugar. This results in a sweeter taste and softer texture.

3. What factors can affect the sugar content of ripening fruit?

Several factors can impact the sugar content of fruit, including the amount of sunlight the fruit receives, the type of soil it is grown in, and the variety of fruit. Additionally, the stage of ripeness and storage conditions can also influence sugar content.

4. Why is the sugar content of ripening fruit important to consider?

The sugar content of fruit can impact its taste, texture, and nutritional value. It can also affect the fruit's shelf life and overall quality. Additionally, monitoring sugar content can help determine the optimal time for harvesting and consuming the fruit.

5. How is the sugar content of ripening fruit measured?

The sugar content of fruit can be measured using a refractometer, which measures the amount of light refracted through a fruit sample. This provides a measurement of the fruit's sugar content, which can then be converted into a percentage or grams per 100 grams of fruit.