Why is Higgs particle a doublet

by Primroses
Tags: doublet, higgs, higgs boson, particle
Primroses
Jan12-14, 06:15 PM
P: 3
In demonstrating that Higgs mechanism gives mass to gauge boson fields, we used the fact that hypercharge Y=1/2, which is due to "Higgs particle is a complex doublet of the weak isospin SU(2) symmetry". But why?

In other words, can you show the details about why the Higgs field has charge +1/2 under the weak hypercharge U(1) symmetry?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
lpetrich
Jan12-14, 10:55 PM
P: 514
That's because in the unbroken Standard Model, everything must be massless except perhaps the Higgs particle. This is because left-handed and right-handed parts have gauge-multiplet mismatches, and the Higgs particle is necessary for bridging this gap.

The Standard Model's charged elementary fermions have mass terms that look like this:
(mass) . (left-handed part of EF field) . (right-handed part of EF field)+ + Hermitian conjugate (+ = HC)

In the unbroken SM, the EF fields break down into these gauge multiplets:
Left-handed quark, I = 1/2, Y = 1/6
Right-handed up quark, I = 0, Y = 2/3
Right-handed down quark, I = 0, Y = -1/3
Left-handed lepton, I = 1/2, Y = -1/2
Right-handed neutrino (if it exists), I = 0, Y = 0
Right-handed electron, I = 0, Y = -1
I = weak isospin, Y = weak hypercharge
Hermitian conjugate, same I, - Y

I'm ignoring generations here for simplicity. The muon and the tau are essentially additional flavors of electron, etc.

Electric charge Q = I3 + Y
I3 = -I to I in integer steps, like angular momentum

That makes bare Dirac masses impossible in the Standard Model, or at least so it seems. A left-handed part and a right-handed part, when combined, have I = 1/2 and Y = +- 1. That means that there must be some additional field with I = 1/2 and Y = 1 or -1 to cancel that out and make a proper interaction term. That field is the Higgs particle, with I = 1/2, Y = 1.

We get Higgs-coupling terms
(Higgs) . (coupling) . (left-handed quark) . (right-handed up quark)+
(Higgs)+ . (coupling) . (left-handed quark) . (right-handed down quark)+
(Higgs) . (coupling) . (left-handed lepton) . (right-handed neutrino)+
(Higgs)+ . (coupling) . (left-handed lepton) . (right-handed electron)+

Their (I,Y) sets:
(1/2,1/2) . (1/2,1/6) . (0,-2/3)
(1/2,-1/2) . (1/2,1/6) . (0,1/3)
(1/2,1/2) . (1/2,-1/2) . (0,0)
(1/2,-1/2) . (1/2,-1/2) . (0,1)

If the Higgs particle has a nonzero vacuum field value, then that field value can combine with the coupling to make a Dirac mass.
Vanadium 50
Jan13-14, 12:47 AM
Mentor
P: 15,604
It seems like you are confusing "Higgs field" with "Higgs boson". You add a complex doublet field (4 degrees of freedom), and are left with but a single Higgs boson.

Register to reply