Final velocity of an electron

In summary, the conversation discusses the final speed of an electron accelerated through a potential difference of 200V, with an initial speed of 2.0x10-6C and mass of electron +9.11x10-31. The solution is found by using the equation K = 1/2 m v^2. The conversation also highlights the importance of not overthinking a problem and how simplicity can often lead to solutions.
fran008
I have this question that I have been pondering about for over an hour now :
What is the final speed of an electron accelerated through a potential difference of 200V if it has an initial speed of 2.0x10-6C and mass of electron +9.11x10-31.
Now I read the forum rules and I knowI have to help myself if I want others to help me...but I am totally stuck: because the only method I can think of is obviously wrong i.e. finging the weight of electron and that being the electrical force. Also even if I got that and could get the electric field strenght and distance between the pd...what next?
Thanks
Fran008

Physics news on Phys.org
Then you would say that the total force is the electric force (F=qE) and follow Newtons second law (F=ma) and combining the two you can find the acceleration (while in the field).

yes but then how do you find the resulting velocity once out of the field?

With [itex] v_f = v_i + at [/tex] but you'd need to know how long you were in the field or atleast how far youve traveled in the field.

This problem is much simpler than you're making it out to be, whozum. I've told you before not to answer if you're not sure you are helping!

An electron accelerated through a potential difference of 200V will gain 200 eV of kinetic energy. All you need to do is use K = 1/2 m v^2 to find its final velocity.

- Warren

Oh thanks that was relatively simple! But its always like that when you manage to solve it!Even great scientists agree...Im currently reading "The Double Helix" and it says that after they cracked DNA structure they thought"how simple why didnt we see it before"! LOL!

Thanks loadz...great forum bdw :)

1. What is the formula for calculating the final velocity of an electron?

The final velocity of an electron can be calculated using the formula vf = vi + at, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How is the final velocity of an electron affected by an increase in acceleration?

An increase in acceleration will result in a higher final velocity for an electron. This is because the final velocity is directly proportional to the acceleration, according to the formula vf = vi + at.

3. Can the final velocity of an electron ever be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. Therefore, the final velocity of an electron cannot exceed the speed of light.

4. How does the final velocity of an electron differ in a vacuum compared to a medium?

In a vacuum, the final velocity of an electron will not be affected by external factors such as air resistance. However, in a medium, the final velocity of an electron will be reduced due to the presence of particles that can interact with the electron and slow it down.

5. Can the final velocity of an electron be negative?

Yes, the final velocity of an electron can be negative if it is slowing down or changing direction. This indicates that the electron is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity.