What is the Conditional Probability of Finding a Book in a Specific Box?

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the conditional probability of a book being in a specific box, given that the person looked in a different box and did not find it. The formula for calculating this probability was given for both cases where the boxes are the same and when they are different.
Alexsandro
Somebody could help me to find out the answer of the interesting question about conditional probability ?

"You are moving to other apartment and you need to find your probability book. It is inside of one box. There are n boxes to all. The probability of the book is inside of the box i is Pi
and the probability of the book, being in the box i, to be found is Ai. Then what's the conditional probability of the book is in the box j, given that you it looked in box i and did not find. It analyzes the cases where i é igual ao j and i é diferente do j".

Physics news on Phys.org
For i = j:The conditional probability of the book being in box j, given that you looked in box i and did not find it, is Pj * (1 - Aj). For i ≠ j: The conditional probability of the book being in box j, given that you looked in box i and did not find it, is Pj.

What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is a mathematical concept that measures the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred.

How is conditional probability calculated?

Conditional probability is calculated by dividing the probability of the intersection of two events by the probability of the first event.

What is the difference between conditional and unconditional probability?

Unconditional probability is the likelihood of an event occurring without any prior knowledge or conditions. Conditional probability takes into account additional information or conditions that may affect the likelihood of the event.

What are some real-life applications of conditional probability?

Conditional probability is commonly used in medical diagnoses, weather forecasting, and risk analysis in fields such as finance and insurance.

Why is understanding conditional probability important?

Understanding conditional probability allows us to make more accurate predictions and decisions based on the available information. It is also a fundamental concept in many areas of mathematics and science.