M"Unbiased Estimator for Sigma: Theorem 3.3.1 and Practical Application | CCM

• Thread starter happyg1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding an unbiased estimator for \sigma in a N(\mu,\sigma^2) distribution using theorem 3.3.1. The speaker initially attempts to use the property of the gamma function to simplify the estimator, but later realizes that the correct formula is E\left(\sqrt\frac{n-1}{2}\frac{\Gamma(\frac{n-1}{2})}{\frac\Gamma(\frac{n}{2})}S\right)=\sigma.
happyg1
Hi, I'm working on the following problem and I need some clarification:
Suppose that a sample is drawn from a [tex]N(\mu,\sigma^2)[/tex] distribution. Recall that [tex]\frac{(n-1)S^2}{\sigma^2}[/tex] has a [tex]\chi^2[/tex] distribution. Use theorem 3.3.1 to determine an unbiased estimator of [tex]\sigma[/tex]
Thoerem 3.3.1 states:
Let X have a [tex]\chi^2(r)[/tex] distribution. If [tex] k>-\frac{r}{2}[/tex] then [tex]E(X^k)[/tex] exists and is given by:
[tex] E(X^k)=\frac{2^k(\Gamma(\frac{r}{2}+k))}{\Gamma(\frac{r}{2})}[/tex]
My understanding is this:
The unbiased estimator equals exactly what it's estimating, so [tex]E(\frac{(n-1)S^2}{\sigma^2})[/tex]is supposed to be[tex]\sigma^2[/tex] which is 2(n-1).
Am I going the right way here?
CC

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, So after hours of staring at this thing, here's what I did:
I let k=1/2 and r=n-1, so the thing looks like this:
[tex]E=\sigma(\sqrt{\frac{2}{n-1}}\frac{\Gamma\frac{n}{2}}{\Gamma\frac{n-1}{2}}[/tex]
so I use the property of the gamma function that says:
[tex]\Gamma(\alpha)=(\alpha-1)![/tex]
which leads to:
[tex]E=\sigma\sqrt\frac{2}{n-1}(n-1)[/tex]
So now do i just flip over everything on the RHS,leaving [tex]\sigma[/tex] by itself and that's the unbiased estimator, i.e.
[tex]\sqrt{2(n-1)}E=\sigma[/tex]
Any input will be appreciated.
CC

Last edited:
OK
Anyone who looked and ran away, here at last is the solution: (finally)
[tex]E=\sigma\sqrt{\frac{2}{n-1}} \frac{\Gamma\frac({n}{2})}{\Gamma\frac({n-1}{2})}[/tex]
is indeed correct, however my attempt to reduce the RHS with the properties of the Gamma function is wrong.
The unbiased estimator is obtained by isolating the [tex]\sigma[/tex] on the RHS and then using properties of the Expectation to get:
[tex]E\left(\sqrt\frac{n-1}{2}\frac{\Gamma(\frac{n-1}{2})}{\frac\Gamma(\frac{n}{2})}S\right)=\sigma[/tex]
So at last it has been resolved. WWWWEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeee
CC

Last edited:

1. What is an unbiased estimator for Sigma?

An unbiased estimator for Sigma is a statistical measurement that accurately estimates the true value of the population standard deviation (Sigma) without any bias. It means that on average, the estimated value will be equal to the true value.

2. What is Theorem 3.3.1 about unbiased estimators for Sigma?

Theorem 3.3.1 states that the sample standard deviation (s) is an unbiased estimator for Sigma. This means that if we take multiple samples from a population and calculate the standard deviation for each sample, the average of these sample standard deviations will equal the population standard deviation.

3. How is Theorem 3.3.1 applied in practical situations?

In practical situations, Theorem 3.3.1 can be used to calculate the standard deviation of a population using a sample. This saves time and resources as it is not always feasible to collect data from the entire population. By using a sample and the unbiased estimator, we can accurately estimate the population standard deviation.

4. Why is it important to use an unbiased estimator for Sigma?

Using an unbiased estimator for Sigma ensures that the estimated value is close to the true value of the population standard deviation. This is important in statistical analysis as it helps to make accurate and reliable conclusions about the population based on the sample data.

5. Are there any limitations to Theorem 3.3.1 and its practical application?

Yes, there are some limitations to Theorem 3.3.1 and its practical application. It assumes that the sample is taken from a normally distributed population and is representative of the entire population. If these assumptions are not met, the estimated standard deviation may not be an accurate reflection of the population standard deviation.