Christine's basic curriculum for Quantum Gravity

In summary, Christine Dantas, a blogger who focuses on quantum gravity, recently shared her reading list for those interested in learning more about the field. The list is organized into different categories and includes both easy, popular level books and more advanced academic texts. One notable suggestion is the use of Wald's book on general relativity and quantum mechanics in curved spacetime, which is considered more modern and helpful for those pursuing quantum gravity. However, it is not essential and other resources may also be beneficial.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://christinedantas.blogspot.com/2006/02/basic-curriculum-for-quantum-gravity.html

QG continues to gain definition as a field. Lee Smolin is currently teaching an online video course---two lectures a week---that some of us are following.

Today Christine Dantas, who has a QG blog, posted her reading list for people who want to find out about QG. It is arranged in various categories including easy popular level, academic prerequisites, and textbook level. A substantial portion of her list is available online.

If you have any good additions to the list that you want to suggest, I think you could contribute them in the comments to the above posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I read her list this morning, and if you hadn't posted about it here, I was going to. I'm wondering if her selection of Wald for GR and QM in curved spacetime is crucial or accidental (i.e., the book she happened to have). What do our knowledgeable posters here think? I have and use MTW, but am open to suggestions.

Wald beats MTW for a preparation for QG, simply because of age. Wald uses a much more modern language that put's you in a good starting position to go all out fibre/framebundle, gaugefield/tetrad/triad. It is in terms of these that GR can be quantized.

However, there's only so much detailed GR you need to know for QG, and lot's of what you need to know isn't in either book, so I think it's not essential.

Thanks. I have a background in topology for the bundles, and I am cool with Nakahara for the other. So I think I can do without it.

1. What is Quantum Gravity?

Quantum Gravity is a theoretical framework that aims to unify the theories of quantum mechanics and general relativity. It seeks to explain the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as the subatomic level, and at a very large scale, such as the scale of the universe.

2. Who is Christine and what is her basic curriculum for Quantum Gravity?

Christine is a theoretical physicist who has proposed a basic curriculum for Quantum Gravity. Her curriculum includes fundamental concepts and principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity, as well as current research and developments in the field of Quantum Gravity.

3. What are the main topics covered in Christine's curriculum for Quantum Gravity?

The main topics covered in Christine's curriculum for Quantum Gravity include the history and development of the theory, the basic principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity, the challenges and current approaches to unifying the two theories, and recent advancements and applications in the field.

4. Is Christine's curriculum suitable for beginners in the field of Quantum Gravity?

Yes, Christine's curriculum is designed for beginners in the field of Quantum Gravity. It starts with the basics and gradually introduces more complex concepts, making it accessible to those with little or no background in the subject.

5. How can I access Christine's basic curriculum for Quantum Gravity?

Christine's basic curriculum for Quantum Gravity is available online for free. It can be accessed through her personal website or through various educational platforms and resources. Some universities may also offer courses based on her curriculum.