What are the fundamental constants that govern the properties of our universe?

• Thread starter Aditya89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary: I read that the values of these constants seem to be fine-tuned by the creator. What do you think?The values of constants governing the universe seem to be fine-tuned, according to some. What do you think?
Aditya89
Hey, I read about arbitrary elements sometime ago. Could anybody tell me what affects the values of these? And I also read that some say that the values of these are fine-tuned by the Creator. What is the general take on that?

Space news on Phys.org
Aditya89 said:
Hey, I read about arbitrary elements sometime ago. Could anybody tell me what affects the values of these? And I also read that some say that the values of these are fine-tuned by the Creator. What is the general take on that?

What "Creator"? What arbitrary elements?

You may be thinking of the book by Martin Rees called just six numbers and offshoots of this.

The general properies of the universe are governed by a few constants that determine the relationship between various physical quantities

I wil use martin rees' numbers in the order he gave them in the book but use my own descriptions of them

The first Possibly the most vital is the relative strengths of gravitational and electromagnetic forces which is huge. This allows the universe to be very big because atoms are much smaller than gravitating objects ie you need a very great many atoms to create a significant gravitiational field.

another number defines how small nucleii will be in relation to the electon cloud. this is very finely balanced to allow a reasonable number of stable atoms to form and transmute into each other via interactions at high temperatures and pressures but not too many or too few too fast or too slow. This allows stars and all the materials the we encounter in our lives to form and last for a long time.

the next defines how much material there is to definr the shape of space whic turns out to be pretty well flat.

Then there is the expansion rate of the universe

the next is rather abstruse and measures the binding energy of large structures like galaxies and how quickly things tend to collapse under self gravitiation

The last one is the number of spatial dimensions.

1. What are arbitrary elements?

Arbitrary elements are elements that do not have a specific or defined purpose or function. They are typically used for experimental or testing purposes, and their behavior or properties may vary depending on the context in which they are used.

2. How are arbitrary elements different from standard elements?

Standard elements have a specific purpose and defined behavior, while arbitrary elements do not. They are not officially recognized or supported by a particular programming language or framework, and their use may not follow any established guidelines or conventions.

3. Can arbitrary elements be useful in scientific research?

Yes, arbitrary elements can be useful in scientific research as they allow for flexibility and experimentation. They can be used to test new ideas or concepts without the constraints of standard elements, and their behavior can provide valuable insights or data for further analysis.

4. Are arbitrary elements considered good coding practice?

No, arbitrary elements are generally not considered good coding practice as they can make code difficult to understand and maintain. It is recommended to use standard elements whenever possible to ensure consistency and compatibility.

5. How can I use arbitrary elements in my code?

You can use arbitrary elements by simply declaring them in your code. In HTML, they can be created by using the <div> tag with a unique or custom class or ID. In JavaScript, they can be created using the createElement() method. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential drawbacks and consequences of using arbitrary elements before incorporating them into your code.