Nuclear fusion and binding energy

In summary, fusion and fission both release energy, with fusion releasing energy up to iron. The confusion lies in the fact that as two nuclei combine, the binding energy per nucleon increases. To understand this, one must consider the sum of the masses of the parent nuclei compared to the mass of the daughter nucleus. The difference is the energy release. For fission, the same principle applies, but with one parent and several daughters. The binding energy is what must be put in to break the bond apart.
joker_900
I wonder if someone could help me out. I'm a bit confused about how fusion (and fission for that matter) releases energy.

Looking at a graph of binding energy per nucleon against mass number, fusion gives out energy up to iron (correct?). The thing that confuses me is that as two nuclei are fused to make a heavier nuclei, the binding energy per nucleon INCREASES.

So if the binding energy of the product is greater than the binding energy of the two original nuclei, would that not require energy rather than release energy? So for example if there is more binding energy in a helium nucleus than in a dueterium nucleus and a tritum nucleus, energy energy would need to be input to increase that binding energy.

So I'm not sure where I've gone wrong. It is probably very obvious to you, so please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
In the case of fusion, sum the masses of the parent nuclei and compare to the mass of the daughter nucleus. The difference is the energy release. For fission, essentially the same, except that there is one parent and several daughters, including neutrons.

BE per nucleon is not what determines fusion energies.
It is as mm says.

Binding energy is what you have to put IN to break the bond apart.

1. What is nuclear fusion?

Nuclear fusion is the process by which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy in the process.

2. How does nuclear fusion occur?

Nuclear fusion occurs when the nuclei of atoms are brought close enough together that the strong nuclear force overcomes the repulsive electrostatic force between them. This fusion process requires extremely high temperatures and pressures, such as those found in the core of the sun.

3. What is binding energy?

Binding energy is the amount of energy required to break apart the nucleus of an atom into its individual protons and neutrons. It is also the amount of energy released when protons and neutrons come together to form a nucleus through nuclear fusion.

4. How is binding energy related to nuclear fusion?

In nuclear fusion, the binding energy of the resulting nucleus is greater than the combined binding energy of the individual nuclei. This difference in binding energy is released as a large amount of energy, which is what makes nuclear fusion a potential source of clean and efficient energy.

5. What are the potential benefits of nuclear fusion energy?

Nuclear fusion energy has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean and sustainable energy. It does not produce greenhouse gases or radioactive waste, making it a much safer and environmentally friendly alternative to traditional forms of energy production. Additionally, the fuel for nuclear fusion, such as hydrogen, is abundant and widely available.