Plunger Force of Solenoid: Am I Missing Something?

• Thread starter Greg Freeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solenoid
In summary, the conversation revolves around the search for a general equation to calculate the plunger force of a solenoid-type linear actuator. The speaker has searched through forums and books, but has not found a simple relation. They mention the complexity of the problem due to factors such as the magnetic and physical characteristics of the plunger and coils. An iron plunger is suggested as a simplification, but the nonlinear permeability and saturation of iron make it difficult to calculate accurately. Finite-element E&M modeling is mentioned as a common method for professionals. The speaker also references a book that may have relevant equations. The conversation ends with a question about the purpose of the inquiry and a recommendation to purchase a solenoid for specific applications.
Greg Freeman
Maybe I'm just dense, but...

I searched for forum for "solenoid" and I still haven't found the answer that I'm looking for. Mainly, I want to know if there is a general equation for the plunger force of a solenoid-type linear actuator. I understand that the force of the plunger is related to distance in a way in the same way as a spring (but with maybe a polynomial relationship to plunger depth/distance), but I've also done some googling and I haven't found a simple general relation.

I also went through several EE books and they didn't have any descriptions of how to calculate plunger force, and then went through several E&M physics books and didn't find one with equations. In fact, the one I found that described the most about solenoids with plungers was written in 1924 (Magnets by Underhill) but doesn't really have any equations. I guess I could go through and try to derive such things, but I figure it's a solved problem and my background isn't in E&M.

Am I missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how you would calculate it. The factors involved are the magnetic and physical characteristics of the plunger itself (obviously a wooden one wouldn't have much pull), the number, gauge and arrangement of the coils, the electrical input... hmmm... I feel that I'm leaving something out, but I can't think of it right now.

Is there a general form to the solution though (neglecting specifics)? Like a R^2 or similar relation? (in this case a good approximation from the book I checked out looks like it would be the first half period of a sine wave, with no force when the plunger is centered and max force when the plunger is roughly halfway out, or maybe a shifted exp(x^2) relation)

I'm thinking back of the envelope calculations with something simple like an iron plunger (the only characteristics of the plunger would probably be its permeability and diameter) and no specifics to the coil sizes other than probably the length and wraps*current parameters for the coils. I haven't found anything even as simple as that.

Maybe an assumption that the plunger outer diameter is the same as the coil inner diameter would simplify things? Or how sensitive would the force relationship be to a plunger that doesn't completely fill the solenoid cavity. I'm just looking for any kind of relation at all, because I haven't been able to get my hands on any.

Sorry, man; somebody else is going to have to field this.

Magnetic problems involving iron are way complicated because the permeability is non-linear and saturates at relatively low applied fields. Thus problems involve balancing turns and current (and heat) with plunger cross-section and length. You can probably make some simple assumptions like operating at weak fields to avoid saturation to get a ballpark answer, but then you aren't designing for full strength. Professionals use finite-element E&M modeling and even at that you have to increase the mesh density in areas that are prone to saturate. Commercial solenoids also include an iron frame to provide a return path for the flux.

I vaguely remember that Smythe solves for the lifting power of a horseshoe in his Static and Dynamic Electricity. Can't remember if it's permanent or electro-, if it's the latter then you'll get an overview of the equations that would be used in your case.

Is this a casual question or do you have an application (commercial or otherwise) to solve? In the first case you can experiment, or might get lucky and find someone who has worked with them before. In the second case I recommend purchasing one. Vendors will offer different models with advertised stroke, pull force, thermal properties, etc. and application data that would be hard to duplicate.

Last edited:

1. What is the plunger force of a solenoid?

The plunger force of a solenoid refers to the amount of force that the solenoid's plunger can exert when activated by an electric current. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

2. How is the plunger force of a solenoid calculated?

The plunger force of a solenoid is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength of the solenoid by the length of the plunger and the current passing through the solenoid. This can be represented by the equation F = BIL, where F is the plunger force, B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current, and L is the length of the plunger.

3. What factors can affect the plunger force of a solenoid?

The plunger force of a solenoid can be affected by several factors, including the magnetic field strength, the length of the plunger, the current passing through the solenoid, and the material and design of the solenoid itself. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the plunger force.

4. Is there a standard or ideal plunger force for solenoids?

There is no standard or ideal plunger force for solenoids, as it can vary depending on the specific application and requirements. However, a stronger plunger force generally indicates a more powerful and efficient solenoid.

5. Can the plunger force of a solenoid be adjusted?

Yes, the plunger force of a solenoid can be adjusted by changing the magnetic field strength, the length of the plunger, or the current passing through the solenoid. This can be achieved through modifications to the solenoid's design or by using external factors such as a power supply or coil winding.