Which of the following is a chemical reaction?

In summary, the question is asking which of the given scenarios involve a chemical reaction. The options include heating gold to melt it, blowing a ball, burning paper, and putting sodium into water. The conversation also suggests searching for "chemical and physical changes" for more information.
kindaichi
I am confuse here.Here is another question from my test.

Which of the following is a chemical reaction?

I.A piece of gold is being heated to melt it
II.A ball is being blown
III.A piece of paper is burnt
IV.A piece of sodium is out into a beaker of water

A.I and II
B.III and IV
C.I,II,and IV
D.I,II,III,and IV

I am absolutely clueless about this question.Can a good samaritan help out here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Type in "chemical and physical changes" at your favorite search engine. That should give you mucho leads, including the differences between the two.

Best of luck.

Steve

What is a chemical reaction defined as? What is a physical change defined as? The answer is quite simple if you know the definitions, if not its more complicated.

1. What is a chemical reaction?

A chemical reaction is a process in which one or more substances are transformed into new substances with different chemical and physical properties.

2. How do you know if a reaction is a chemical reaction?

A chemical reaction can be identified by the presence of at least one of these observable changes: formation of a precipitate, color change, production of gas, or release of heat or light.

3. What are the different types of chemical reactions?

The main types of chemical reactions are synthesis, decomposition, single replacement, double replacement, and combustion reactions.

4. Are all changes in matter chemical reactions?

No, not all changes in matter are chemical reactions. Physical changes, such as changes in state or shape, do not involve the formation of new substances and are not considered chemical reactions.

5. How can chemical reactions be represented?

Chemical reactions can be represented using chemical equations, which show the reactants on the left side and the products on the right side. The reactants and products are separated by an arrow, and the coefficients indicate the relative amounts of each substance involved.

Back