Bernoulli's Pressure Drop Segregated from Friction Pressure Drop

In summary, the conversation involved a request for information on calculating pressure drop values caused by friction in a smooth pipe at different velocities and internal diameters. The person only wanted the friction component and not the pressure drop values caused by Bernoulli's principle. Suggestions were made for using the Darcy Weisbach equation and referencing the Crane paper for pipe flow analysis. There was also a clarification on the definition of a "smooth" pipe. Overall, the conversation provided helpful information for the person's inquiry.
Roger900
Hello Physics Masters!

I would like to calculate pressure drop values caused by friction as water flows through a a smooth pipe at different velocities and different internal pipe diameters.

I ONLY want the pressure drop values caused by friction, not the pressure drop values caused by Bernoulli's principle. The mathematical formulas that I have found combine Bernoulli's principle PLUS friction. I only need the friction component.

Can you direct me to a website that would have this information, or provide the friction-only mathematical formula?

Thanks,
Roger

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Roger,
I suggest you use the http://www.lmnoeng.com/darcy.htm" [Broken]equation, but they are not used nearly as much as Darcy Weisbach.

The other question that inevitably follows regards how to determine the equivalent restriction of various piping components such as pipe bends or mitred elbows, valves, orifices, Y's and T's, expansions and contractions, etc... These are all covered by the http://www.tp410.com/tp410.htm" [Broken]which is also widely renown as the industry standard for doing pipe flow analysis. The Crane paper relies heavily on the Darcy Weisbach equation.

If you do much analysis of pipe losses as an engineer, you will need to become familiar with the Crane paper and the methods it outlines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I don't think you want a "smooth" pipe as that would imply that there is no surface friction, and the locus of velocity would run perpendicular to its vectorial self.

A smooth pipe does not imply zero friction. If you look at any Moody Diagram, there is a line for a smooth surface. It is simply a best case surface roughness.

Well do they call them "smooth" pipes or are they just smooth lines on the diagram? From my education if anything in physics was "smooth", it meant that friction was ignored. Unless perhaps this is some esoteric use of the word specific to engineers?

Sounds like something specific to your textbook that you used.

Thanks for your ideas and comments Hootenanny, Q_Goest, billiards, FredGarvin and KingNothing.

This has helped me a lot.

Roger.

1. What is Bernoulli's Pressure Drop Segregated from Friction Pressure Drop?

Bernoulli's Pressure Drop Segregated from Friction Pressure Drop is a concept in fluid mechanics that explains the relationship between pressure and velocity in a moving fluid. It states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases.

2. How is Bernoulli's Pressure Drop Segregated from Friction Pressure Drop different from overall pressure drop?

Bernoulli's Pressure Drop Segregated from Friction Pressure Drop only takes into account the pressure drop due to the change in velocity of the fluid, while overall pressure drop includes all factors that contribute to a decrease in pressure, such as friction and changes in elevation.

3. Can Bernoulli's Pressure Drop Segregated from Friction Pressure Drop be applied to all fluids?

Yes, Bernoulli's Pressure Drop Segregated from Friction Pressure Drop is a fundamental concept in fluid mechanics and can be applied to all fluids, including gases and liquids.

4. How does the viscosity of a fluid affect Bernoulli's Pressure Drop Segregated from Friction Pressure Drop?

The viscosity of a fluid plays a role in friction pressure drop, which is the portion of overall pressure drop that is due to the resistance of the fluid moving through a pipe or channel. Therefore, a more viscous fluid will experience a higher friction pressure drop and a lower segregated pressure drop.

5. What are some practical applications of Bernoulli's Pressure Drop Segregated from Friction Pressure Drop?

This concept is used in various industries, such as the design of pipelines, pumps, and turbines. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of fluids in everyday situations, such as the flow of water in a faucet or the lift force on an airplane wing.