How Do You Derive a Lagrangian from a Time-Dependent Hamiltonian?

In summary, the conversation discusses the time-dependent Hamiltonian and the corresponding Lagrangian for a system with constant mass and frequency. The Lagrangian is obtained by substituting the expression for p in terms of q and \dot{q} into the Hamiltonian. The goal is to obtain a time-independent Lagrangian by choosing a suitable new coordinate. Completing the square is suggested as a possible method to achieve this.
Logarythmic
Consider the time-dependent Hamiltonian

[tex]H(q,p;t) = \frac{p^2}{2m \sin^2{(\omega t})} - \omega pq \cot{(\omega t)} - \frac{m}{2} \omega^2 \sin^2{(\omega t)} q^2[/tex]

with constant m and [tex]\omega[/tex].
Find a corresponding Lagrangian [tex]L = L(q,\dot{q};t)[/tex]

Ok, I know that the Hamiltonian is given by

[tex]H(q,p;t) = \dot{q}p - L(q, \dot{q};t)[/tex]

where

[tex]p = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}[/tex]

Is it as easy as

[tex]L(q, \dot{q};t) =\dot{q}p - H(q,p;t)[/tex]?

And how do I get rid of the p's?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since [tex]p = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}[/tex] you can substitute [tex]p[/tex] in [tex]L(q, \dot{q};t) =\dot{q}p - H(q,p;t)[/tex] and solve the differential equation.

Yeah, nice equation.. Any tip on how to solve it?

I still need help... Anyone?

You have a Hamiltonian H which is a function of q and p: H(q,p). From the Hamilton equations of motion you have that [tex] \dot{q} = \frac{\partial H(q,p)}{\partial p} [/tex]. Now think about this equation for a minute, it gives you a formula for [tex]\dot{q}[/tex] in terms of q and p. But if you rearrange the equation by solving for p, it gives you a formula for p in terms q and [tex] \dot{q}[/tex]. This is what you want! To see why form the object the [tex] p\dot{q} - H(q,p) [/tex] which is almost but not quite the Lagrangian. To make this quantity into the true Lagrangian you should substitute your formula for p in terms of q and [tex] \dot{q} [/tex] into this expression. This is the important step because you know the Lagrangian is a function of q and [tex] \dot{q} [/tex], not q and p.

Ok, then I get the Lagrangian

[tex]L = m \sin^2{(\omega t)} \left[ \left( \dot{q} + \omega t \cot{(\omega t)} \right) \left( \frac{1}{2} \dot{q} + \omega cot{(\omega t)} (1 - \frac{1}{2}q) \right) + \frac{1}{2} \omega^2 q^2 \right] [/tex]

Now my mission is to "obtain, by choosing a suitable new coordinate, an equivalent time-independent Lagrangian [tex]\tilde{L}[/tex]".
How is this supposed to be done?

I don't know if this can help you, but a Lagrangian L and L' are equivalent (generate the same dynamics) if they differ by a total derivative to time of a function of q and t only:
[tex] L' = L + \frac{d F(q_i,t)}{dt}[/tex]

I didn't check, but maybe you can get all the time depedence into that form...

I don't think that's what I'm supposed to do here. Referring to "by choosing a new coordinate"...

There are time-dependence in every term so that is not a possibility.. =/

Logarythmic,

The first thing you should do is check your algebra. The Lagrangian you've displayed in post 6 contains a (1-q/2) which doesn't make sense because q has units. When you get the Lagrangian right the situation will look better.

Ok, I forgot a q so my correct Lagrangian is

[tex]L = m \sin^2{(\omega t)} \left[ \frac{\dot{q}^2}{2} + \omega q \dot{q} \cot{(\omega t)} + \frac{1}{2} \omega^2 q^2 (1 + \cot^2{(\omega t)} ) \right][/tex]

but there is still a time dependence in every term so writing it as

[tex]L = \tilde{L} + \frac{dF(q,t)}{dt}[/tex]

will be hard..? Or?

Ok, your Lagrangian looks good now. At this point I think there is a fairly straightforward guess you can make as to what your new coordinate should be. To make it even more clear, you might try completing the square for qdot.

PS The L' = L + df/dt thing isn't really important for this problem.

Completing the square?

Completing the square

[tex]
\begin{array}{rl}
\alpha x^2 + \beta x + \gamma &= \alpha\left[ x^2 + \frac{\beta}{\alpha} x + \frac{\gamma}{\alpha}\right] \\
&= \alpha\left[ (x + \frac{\beta}{2 \alpha})^2 + (\frac{\gamma}{\alpha}-\frac{\beta^2}{4 \alpha^2}) \right]
\end{array}
[/tex]

It looks a lot neater if we take [itex]\alpha=1[/itex]:

[tex]
x^2 + \beta x + \gamma = (x + \beta /2)^2 + (\gamma-\beta^2/4)
[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between Hamiltonian and Lagrangian?

The Hamiltonian and Lagrangian are two different mathematical formulations used to describe the motion of a physical system. The Hamiltonian is based on the total energy of the system, while the Lagrangian is based on the difference between the kinetic and potential energy.

2. How are the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian related?

The Hamiltonian and Lagrangian are related through the Legendre transformation. This mathematical operation converts the Lagrangian into the Hamiltonian and vice versa.

3. Which one is more commonly used in physics?

The Lagrangian formulation is more commonly used in physics because it is more general and can be applied to a wider range of physical systems. The Hamiltonian formulation is more commonly used in classical mechanics and quantum mechanics.

4. What are the advantages of using the Hamiltonian over the Lagrangian?

The Hamiltonian formulation has the advantage of being easier to use for systems with constraints, such as in classical mechanics. It also allows for the use of the Hamiltonian equations of motion, which can simplify the analysis of the system.

5. Can the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian be used interchangeably?

No, the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian cannot be used interchangeably as they represent different mathematical formulations. However, under certain conditions, they can be transformed into each other, and the results will be equivalent.