Distance of closest approach of alpha particle

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of distance of closest approach in an electromagnetic question involving an alpha particle and a lead nucleus. The person asking the question is unfamiliar with this concept and is seeking clarification on what it entails. They are given a link to a resource that explains the concept in more detail.
Fallen Seraph
In an electromagnetics question I've been asked to calculate the distance of closest approach of an alpha particle which collides with a lead nucleus, but I've never come across the concept of the distance of closest approach. My book is mute on the subject and google yields nothing but more questions on the matter. What does it be exactly?

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't say what information you were given. I suspect you are given KE of the alpha and can assume it is fired directly at the lead nucleus. In that case what is the KE when the nucleus stops it and where did the KE go?

Oh I ask not for an answer or even a method. My apologies if I was unclear. I'm just unacquainted with the concept of distance of closest approach, and was wondering if I could become acquainted with it?

Isn't "distance of closest approach" self explanatory? Maybe I don't understand your non-question? Can you be more specific?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/rutsca2.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah right. There we go. Thanks a lot for that.

What is the distance of closest approach of an alpha particle?

The distance of closest approach of an alpha particle is the minimum distance between the alpha particle and the nucleus of an atom in a particular collision or interaction.

How is the distance of closest approach of an alpha particle calculated?

The distance of closest approach of an alpha particle is calculated using the Rutherford scattering formula, which takes into account the charge and mass of the alpha particle, as well as the charge and size of the nucleus.

What factors affect the distance of closest approach of an alpha particle?

The distance of closest approach of an alpha particle is affected by the kinetic energy of the alpha particle, the charge and mass of the alpha particle and the nucleus, and the angle of incidence of the alpha particle.

Why is the distance of closest approach of an alpha particle important in nuclear physics?

The distance of closest approach of an alpha particle is important in nuclear physics because it provides information about the size and structure of the nucleus, as well as the forces that hold the nucleus together.

What is the significance of the distance of closest approach of an alpha particle in medical applications?

The distance of closest approach of an alpha particle is used in medical applications, such as radiation therapy, to determine the range and intensity of alpha particles in the body for targeted cancer treatment.