Solving a Double Integral with k Converging to pi

• Thread starter ashnicholls
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of an integral using different values of k. The integral is to be taken over the interior of a circle with radius 1 and can be simplified using polar coordinates. The person is unsure if they have interpreted the problem correctly and asks for clarification on whether k=0 is the correct value for convergence to pi. They also ask about importing pictures from mathcad.
ashnicholls
First attatchment is an integral I have been given.

Using different values of k I have to find out what value the integral converges too.

What I want to know is does this mean integrating the volume of circle with radius 1.

Shown in formula in the second attachment, I have also arranged it using polar coordinates.

And if that is right, I have found but only using mathcad that if k = 1/infinity the value converges to pi.

Is that right, because how I suppose to integrate the function shown using fractions to k, surely this is too complex to do by hand.

Cheers Ash

Attachments

• Q1 MM3005.bmp
    29.2 KB · Views: 513
  • Q1 MM3005 2.bmp
    48.9 KB · Views: 459
  • Q1 MM3005 3.bmp
    60.2 KB · Views: 522
Physics news on Phys.org
And how do import pictures from mathcad into the post without having to make them attachments.

Cheers

A circle of radius 1 doesn't have a "volume"! What it means is that you are to integrate the given function over the interior of the circle.

And k can't "equal 1 over infinity" because infinity is not a number. Do you mean k= 0?

Yes, polar coordinates is the way to go here. You are aware, are you not, that [itex]sin^2(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)= 1[/itex], so that x2+ y2= r2? That simplifies your integral a great deal!

Yes sorry I meant area, not volume,

and yes i know it simplifies, i was just asking whether I had interpreted the problem correctly.

and yes by 1/infinity I did mean zero.

I was meaning as k gets smaller it converges to pi.

So is the function that i posted the right interpretation of the problem?

Cheers Ash

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that involves solving for the area under a curved surface. It is essentially the integration of a function of two variables.

How is a double integral solved?

A double integral can be solved by using a variety of methods, such as the rectangular or polar coordinate system, or by using a computer program such as MATLAB. The specific method used depends on the type of problem and the desired outcome.

What does it mean for k to converge to pi?

Convergence is a mathematical concept that refers to the idea that a sequence or series of numbers approaches a specific value. In the context of a double integral, k converging to pi means that as k gets closer and closer to pi, the solution to the integral becomes more accurate.

What are the applications of solving a double integral?

Double integrals have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other fields of science. They can be used to calculate volumes, areas, and other measurements for curved surfaces and shapes. They are also essential in solving differential equations and other complex problems.

How does solving a double integral with k converging to pi differ from other methods?

Solving a double integral with k converging to pi is a more precise and accurate method compared to other techniques. By allowing k to approach the exact value of pi, the solution becomes more accurate and can provide more precise measurements for complex problems.