The never-ending 0.999 = 1 debate

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
In summary, a user posted on a forum about a topic that has been discussed multiple times before. They suggest doing a search to see the numerous threads with evidence supporting the topic, and suggest locking the thread to prevent further debate.
Holocene
I made a post about it on another forum. Nobody believes me.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=566510

What do you guys say?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
dude...

We have had this thread countless times before, and I think this is about the third recent one I've seen here in about tow days. Please do a search of the forums and see how many threads there already are on this topic, each containing just as many proofs that this is true.

I know how to end the debate: lock the thread. :tongue: Which I am going to do before it starts attracting the crackpots who insist they are unequal.

1. What is the proof that 0.999... is equal to 1?

The proof that 0.999... is equal to 1 is based on the concept of limits in calculus. The decimal representation of 0.999... is an infinite series that converges to the number 1. This means that as we add more and more 9s to the end of the decimal, the value gets closer and closer to 1. In the limit, the value of 0.999... is equal to 1.

2. How can 0.999... be equal to 1 if they have different decimal representations?

The difference in decimal representations is due to the fact that we are using a finite number of digits to represent an infinite number. In reality, both 0.999... and 1 are just different ways of representing the same number, which is 1.

3. Is 0.999... just an approximation of 1?

No, 0.999... is not an approximation of 1. It is exactly equal to 1, as shown by the mathematical proof using limits.

4. How does this concept apply to other repeating decimals?

The concept of limits and infinite series can also be applied to other repeating decimals. For example, the repeating decimal 0.333... is equal to the fraction 1/3, and the repeating decimal 0.142857... is equal to the fraction 1/7. This concept helps us understand that repeating decimals are just different ways of representing rational numbers.

5. Why is the never-ending 0.999... = 1 debate important?

The never-ending 0.999... = 1 debate is important because it challenges our understanding of numbers and the concept of infinity. It also highlights the power and usefulness of mathematical proofs in providing concrete answers to seemingly abstract questions. Understanding this concept can also help in other areas of mathematics, such as calculus and real analysis.