Which language sounds the nicest?

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter verdigris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary: I also think it sounds "cool" and "liquid" (like water). All the words flow easily in and out. In summary, I think that Thai sounds pretty good. It is very melodic and has a lot of beautiful singing.
Anttech said:
Italian is by far the nicest to listen to with allo thosea voweli everyo wherei... :D

I second that.

Science news on Phys.org
French sounds the best. Italian would be second

moe darklight said:
lol yea that happens with other languages too. Say "Te voy a cojer a tu casa" to a Spanish-speaking person from spain, and one from Argentina, and you'll get a very very different response.

I remember my mom was excited she had a patient from latin america, eager to do therapy in spanish again. After one session she was horrified that she couldn't understand half of what the patient was talking about.

As for writing/readin chinese, I think I'll have to wait a while on to that one... you know... at least 'till I'm past the "hello, I am from Canada, where is the toilet-room" phase :biggrin:
I knew that the differences between the Spanish dialects were there, but that much so?
I know a girl whose native language is Argentine Spanish, and then I know a few people whose native language is Northern Mexican-Spanish, and a couple of my friends are from Spain and speak their Spanish.
Now my best friend, one that speaks Spain's dialect, says that she can speak easily to the Mexican dialect, but there are differences... but not in the way you say.

It's kind of funny... sitting at a lunch table and not being able to understand Spanish fluently or even much at all, and being surrounded 360 degrees of native-speakers of Spanish speaking around you.

I have a kid in my math class whose native language is Lebanon Arabic, and I find it nice to listen to... but, I can imagine it would be better to hear in a softer speaker. His voice is a bit raspy...

It depends what areas they are from, I find people from urban areas tend to be easier to understand, there's no problem between an argentinean and a mexican or someone from spain (well depending what part of spain, I struggle a bit to catch up when I watch some spanish movies).

But there are some accents and dialects that are very hard to understand, many of the words and slang they use is so different that you really have to make an effort to get it and you find yourself more often than not "filling the blanks" and guessing what something means. You can carry a conversation, obviously, it's still spanish, so of course you could all sit on the same table :biggrin: but in some cases with very thick accents and slang it won't be as fluent as speaking to someone from your own area at all.

Anttech said:
This isn't really true.

In Europe we have many Langauge groups:

sorry, I should have written "much like many european languages..." one word makes a world of a difference eh

Evo said:
French sounds the best. Italian would be second
Depends who is speaking it... Provence French is really nice to hear. Bruxelles French is a slur, Paris French has a air of contempt, and north African French is errmm well impossible for a non-french speaker to understand... Italians no matter who speaks it sounds great. I really like the dialect in North west Italia, a mixture of French and Italian...

I have a kid in my math class whose native language is Lebanon Arabic, and I find it nice to listen to... but, I can imagine it would be better to hear in a softer speaker. His voice is a bit raspy...
I like that country a lot... But I don't really like listening to Arabic, sounds like something is stuck in the back of your throat...

i think german is a really hard language to learn.. u know the grammer and stuff.. but it sounds really awesome in pop and rock songs

there is a language in india... people find it a bit difficult to speak the language but the grammer and written stuff is rather easy.
i feel that this language (its called malayalam) is rather a kind of musical language
meaning, it seems to all go in a certain rhytm or beat

i really think Italian is very nice to hear.
true it has lots of vowels used!

You know what Charles V said:
To God I speak in Spanish, to men I speak in French, to women I speak in Italian, and to my dog I speak in German. :D

But, I agree with Maxwell's demon that French sounds nice when spoken by ladies. But what I would like to speak as a guy is Latin - habet puritatem formae (it has purity of form :P)

Arabian is a very beautiful language:

Last edited by a moderator:
verdigris said:
Which spoken language sounds the nicest? And would people in Europe think that a european language sounds nicer than a language from another continent just because they are more familiar with European languages - or is there more to it than this?

French, and Creole

It's hard for me to choose, so many foreign languages sound pleasant to my ear. However, I will choose Mandarin Chinese with a Beijing accent. It has a musical quality to it.

I don't know about Beijing Mandarin, all the 'er's added to everything. What sounds nice really just depends on what your ears are accustomed to at the time. After being in Beijing for a while, Castilian Spanish sounded very nice and smooth, though any other time I wouldn't say so.

Tony11235 said:
I don't know about Beijing Mandarin, all the 'er's added to everything. What sounds nice really just depends on what your ears are accustomed to at the time. After being in Beijing for a while, Castilian Spanish sounded very nice and smooth, though any other time I wouldn't say so.

I used to like Spanish and Mandarin sounded like a song to me, but after living in New York for a while and listening to Chinese people who literally scream when on a subway with their Mandarin, it is the most annoying thing in the world. They sit apart from each other and start yelling! "Si si ma si si ma!"

As for spanish. Now I can only take a minute of it, after that I just want the person to stfu, because I just can't stand it!

Tony11235 said:
I don't know about Beijing Mandarin, all the 'er's added to everything. What sounds nice really just depends on what your ears are accustomed to at the time.
True. I like the sound of those emphatic 'er's as much as I like the emphatic pitch inflection. I should have pointed out that there are individuals that have particularly appealing voices. I once spoke on the telephone in English with a customer support person whose voice made me want to crawl through the wire to meet her.

Last edited:
My first language is Spanish and I don't think Spanish is the nicest language. My second language is English (even if I'm not a really good talker or writer), I don't think English is also a pretty language, I think is kind of frivolous. A really nice language is Italian and German, those are language that I would like to learn.

Link- said:
My first language is Spanish and I don't think Spanish is the nicest language. My second language is English (even if I'm not a really good talker or writer), I don't think English is also a pretty language, I think is kind of frivolous. A really nice language is Italian and German, those are language that I would like to learn.

You really think German is a nice language? It sounds like dog barking, and I think that if Hell exists, then the Satan would be speaking German, as for Italian and French - yes they are nice sounding languages

Duck1987 said:
I used to like Spanish and Mandarin sounded like a song to me, but after living in New York for a while and listening to Chinese people who literally scream when on a subway with their Mandarin, it is the most annoying thing in the world. They sit apart from each other and start yelling! "Si si ma si si ma!"

As for spanish. Now I can only take a minute of it, after that I just want the person to stfu, because I just can't stand it!

Are you sure what you were hearing was Mandarin and not Cantonese? Cantonese sounds hilarious and like someone's on a roller-coaster (sorry if that offends any Cantonese speakers here) when compared to Mandarin. I have a friend who speaks both and he evens admits cantonese is the more fun-sounding language. It's funny you mention the on-the-bus situation. Just the other day I was talking to a Taiwanese girl and she said while on the bus, the loudest speakers are usually Chinese, lol.

moe darklight said:
It depends what areas they are from, I find people from urban areas tend to be easier to understand, there's no problem between an argentinean and a mexican or someone from spain (well depending what part of spain, I struggle a bit to catch up when I watch some spanish movies).

I find mexicans hard to understand. They mix a lot of Indigenous languages in with their Spanish or at least my wife's friends do, but they tend to be from the country side rather than the cities. Colombians have very beautiful Spanish to my ears.

wildman said:
I find mexicans hard to understand. They mix a lot of Indigenous languages in with their Spanish or at least my wife's friends do, but they tend to be from the country side rather than the cities. Colombians have very beautiful Spanish to my ears.

Colombian spanish... A lot of lab. instructor on College are Colombians after a few labs with them you won't hear them as a beatiful spanish.
How about Spain spanish? That's a really good spanish.

actually, english is not the hardest language to learn, a group of scientists from Harvard or some big university conducted tests and used a 1-5 scale. 5=chinese, 4=french 3=english. I am from europe, and i got to say that french is the nicest sounding language. even though it's not as sing-songy as Italian, it is veeeeeeeery rich and sounds amaaaaaaaaaaaazing! Definitely french, then itial then russian, then german(i know that sounds funny, but it's gorgeous to hear a native speak it)!

what was number one?

one of my co-workers speaks swedish. the past two days I've been switched to his group; he's been trying to teach me some swedish during breaks... sometimes it's freakishly similar to middle english ... though I don't understand how their verbs work, it's even weirder than english ... also they have this thing where you change the end of a word when it is the object or subject of a sentence

vasca would be bag (or backpack? any sweeds here?), but you say vascan if it's a "the bag" ... also I obviously don't know swedish spelling so I have no clue if that's how it's spelled, but that's what it sounds like.

another cool thing is that they've kept the "hither" and "thither" that the english world pretty much expunged from common use... like, you would say "duo guor till hit/thit". (you walk to here/there). but if you already are here or there, you are "har/thar".

it's a pretty harsh sounding language to my ears— and hard on my mouth too... though I don't really know how to say much other than stuff about me wanting to eat or drink or picking up boxes or going to a house, or leaves on a lawn... or holding bags... and also urinating, of course.

urinating is always important.

I can speak words properly in English, French, Spanish, Mandarin and very little Cantonese. I'd say French and Mandarin are my favourites.

SizarieldoR said:
Aesthetically Sindarin or Quenya (elvish from LotR) sound the best - here's Tolkien reading some Sindarin

Gorgeous, but then so are the languages they're based on -- quite a bit of Welsh with some Gaelic thrown in for good measure. There are some Nordic influences as well, but the pronunciation was quite Welsh.

I love Welsh -- that is a language made for singing! It's so liquid and musical...even with the words that have three or four consonants run together or three or more vowels!

I read somewhere that Italian is the language of song, French the language of love, and German the language of war. *L* I don't remember where I read it...but it seems appropriate. Although Anglo-Saxon and high German have some amazing sonorous qualities all their own.

Navaho

Navaho, when i hear it slowly, has the cadence and aesthetics of ocean swells or a slow flowing river.
- ya' at' eeh.

Fortran 95 is definitely my choice. for the worst of course!

but seriously I think Portuguese. it's just hard to spell it.

What are you guys talking about? It is obviously a very vague question. I were born in Vietnam. I speak Vietnamese fluently. Ten out of ten times I won't misspell any world. Plus, French to me is like my English now because Vietnamese people communicate in French, also. But drawn from my experience between Vietnamese (Asia), French (Europe), and English (America or Cannada or any country), I would say English (particularly American English) sounds easiest (pronounciation, cadence, spelling, vocal, etc) but not the nicest. I sometimes speak French to my girlfriend and she would be fascinated by it, but in Vietnamese she says it sounds "unfamiliar", "funny", "twisted", "toungy". And those are the terms we know about Asian language, especially Chinese, Japanese, Nepalese, Bhutan, Istanbul, Philipines, Indonesia, but in West Asia the languages sound differently.

nadavgeva said:
but seriously I think Portuguese. it's just hard to spell it.

Portuguese sound a little bit like spanish. If you know spanish really well and hear a portuguese conversation, you can understand part of the conversation.
What I would say is sound nicest is the portuguese accent.

FWIW - this kind of thread works on a bad assumption, IMO, that all humans can perceive the sounds of all languages. There are phonemes in languages that you lose the ability to hear or to reproduce if you do not literally hear those phonemes as a baby.

Latin