Gravity of Black Holes: What Escapes and What Doesn't?

In summary: So, even if something were to travel faster than the speed of light, it would be unable to escape the black hole.Hawking radiation is a term given to the particles that are released from a black hole. These particles are unaffected by the curvature of space, so they can escape the event horizon. So, even though a black hole bends space back into itself, the radiation released from the black hole is able to escape.
Ghost of Progress
Recently someone told me that Black holes give off some sort of radiation and that this radiation, in escaping the black hole, must be traveling at faster than the speed of light.
The biggest thing that I'm unsure of is just how much a black hole bends space. Does it curve it just sharply enough so that light can't escape but,in theory, somthing going faster than light might be able to? Or does it curve space into itself so that if something was trying to move out from a black hole even at an infinate speed it could not do it.
then this brings up a second thought. If a black hole bends space back into itself wouldn't this make a closed sphere that nothing could enter.
And finaly - if it's true that there is some kind of radiation coming from black holes maybe instead of trying to figure out how it's going faster than light we could think that it's some particle that's unaffected by curves in 3D space.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I just did some more reading and realized this was really a question about Hawking radiation.
Any answers on the question of just how much a black hole can curve space would still be appreciated - thanks.

Partial answer, and I'm shootinig from the hip.

I think it can fairly be said that the more massive the black hole, the less it bends spacetime at its event horizon. That may seem a little bit counter to your intuition.

Originally posted by Ghost of Progress
The biggest thing that I'm unsure of is just how much a black hole bends space. Does it curve it just sharply enough so that light can't escape but,in theory, somthing going faster than light might be able to? Or does it curve space into itself so that if something was trying to move out from a black hole even at an infinate speed it could not do it.
Well, a black hole bends space a lot. At the singularity the curvature of space is infinite or close to infinite, depending on which physicist you tend to agree more.

A black hole can roughly be defined as everything inside its event horizon. The event horizon is where light cannot escape anymore (hence the "black" hole). So, a particle moving faster than light should be able to escape the event horizon. However, I must remind you that the theory of relativity is based on the assumption that nothing can move faster than light.

Last edited:

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape from it. It is created when a massive star dies and collapses in on itself.

2. How does the gravity of a black hole work?

The gravity of a black hole is incredibly strong due to its immense mass. This causes a distortion in the fabric of spacetime, creating a gravitational pull that is so strong that it traps all matter and energy within its event horizon.

3. What happens to objects that get too close to a black hole?

Objects that get too close to a black hole will be pulled towards it and eventually cross the event horizon, at which point they will be unable to escape and will be crushed into the singularity at the center of the black hole.

4. Can anything escape a black hole?

No, nothing can escape a black hole once it crosses the event horizon. This includes light, which is why black holes are black and appear invisible to us.

5. Is there any way to escape a black hole?

No, there is currently no known way to escape a black hole once you have crossed the event horizon. The only possible way to escape would be to enter a rotating black hole and travel along its axis of rotation, but this is purely theoretical and has not been proven.