Number of electron states in 1Bz

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the number of electron states in the irreducible part of the first Brillouin zone (1BZ). The volume of 1BZ is given by the equation Ω = (2π)^3/V, where V is the volume of the ordinary cell (V = a^3). The density of states is calculated using the equation D(ε) = (V/2π^2) * ((2m/ħ^2)^3/2) * √ε, where ε represents the maximum energy or Fermi energy. The total number of states is then found by integrating D(ε) from 0 to ε_F. However, the conversation notes that this
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

How many electron states are there in the irreducable part of 1BZ (one irreducable part is 1/48 of 1BZ).

Homework Equations

Volume of 1Bz:
[tex] \Omega = \dfrac{(2 \pi)^3}{V} [/tex]

Volume of ordinary cell:
[tex] V = a^3 [/tex]

Density of states, I assume that the temperature is so low that fermi-dirac function does not play big part, hence max energy = fermi energy.

[tex] D(\epsilon ) = \dfrac{V}{2 \pi ^2} \left( \dfrac{2m}{\hbar ^2} \right)^{3/2} \sqrt{\epsilon } [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

total number of states:
[tex] \int_0^{\epsilon _{F}} D(\epsilon ) d \epsilon [/tex]

just gives me N = N

:S

What do I do wrong? My plan was first to calculate the number of states i ordinary space, then convert into reciprocal space...

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I will ask my teacher tomorrow.

First Brillouin zone, A very common short notation for it...

And I realized that there is N number of k-values in 1 BZ, so that there is N/24 in the irreducible 1 BZ, since there is two electron states per k-value due to pauli principle.

1. What is the meaning of "1Bz" in the context of electron states?

"1Bz" refers to a unit of measurement known as a Brillouin zone, which is used to describe the electron states in a crystal lattice. It is a unit of reciprocal space and represents the first Brillouin zone in the crystal structure.

2. How is the number of electron states in 1Bz calculated?

The number of electron states in 1Bz can be calculated using the formula 2N, where N is the number of atoms in the crystal unit cell. This is based on the fact that each atom contributes two states (one spin up and one spin down) to the Brillouin zone.

3. What factors affect the number of electron states in 1Bz?

The number of electron states in 1Bz is affected by the crystal structure, the number of atoms in the unit cell, and the type of atoms present. It can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and electric or magnetic fields.

4. Why is the number of electron states in 1Bz important in materials science?

The number of electron states in 1Bz is an important factor in understanding the electronic properties of materials. It helps determine the conductivity, energy levels, and other characteristics of a material, which can be useful in designing new materials for various applications.

5. How does the number of electron states in 1Bz change with increasing dimensions?

The number of electron states in 1Bz increases with increasing dimensions of a crystal. This is because as the crystal grows in size, more atoms are added to the unit cell, leading to an increase in the number of available electron states in the Brillouin zone.