Exploring the Possibility of a Spiky Universe

• Thread starter poet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that the missing matter in the universe may not actually be missing, but rather the universe itself is measured incorrectly. The individual suggests that the universe may be spiky, with some galaxies shooting out faster than others, which would reduce the required amount of matter for gravity to function. However, this idea is questioned due to inconsistencies with observation and the Hubble expansion.
poet
This came to me the other day.
Im a total layman, so forgive the language, just an idea, and thought I'd ask far cleverer ;) people than me.

I've read again and again about how there isn't enough matter in the universe for gravity to stop everything flying apart rapidly. The hunt is on it seems for this missing matter.

But it occurred to me, maybe people are measuring the universe wrong?
Instead of it being like a big ball, with smooth edges.
What if it is Spikey? Like a hedgehog or big round starfish?
With some galaxies shooting out faster than others, leaving big gaps of nothing between.

That would massively reduce the 3dimensional area of the Universe, and thus reduce the amount of matter required for gravity to be able to do its thing.

What do people think? Is it a go-er? Or am I just nuts? (not that I mind nuts, I always suspected the insane have far more fun.)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Among the things leading to the dark matter hypothesis is the fact that our galaxy (like all others) doesn't have enough ordinary matter to hold it together.

Maybe not nuts, but not sufficiently thought through?

poet said:
But it occurred to me, maybe people are measuring the universe wrong?
Instead of it being like a big ball, with smooth edges.
What if it is Spikey? Like a hedgehog or big round starfish?
With some galaxies shooting out faster than others, leaving big gaps of nothing between.

I can't be completely sure I understand your vision, but this doesn't sound consistent with observation.

poet said:
That would massively reduce the 3dimensional area of the Universe, and thus reduce the amount of matter required for gravity to be able to do its thing.

Sounds like you might have heard somewhere that a "spiky" ink blob in a pool of water has greater surface area than a round blob having the same volume, and inferred that of two blobs having the same surface area, a round blob has the larger volume. Is it possible that you are trying to visualize the Hubble expansion as an ink blob (fed from a pipe from the surface) which is increasing in volume and expanding in a clear pool of water? If so, the Hubble expansion is not like a localized "explosion" of galaxies flying into previously empty regions of spacetime.

Last edited:

1. What is a spiky universe?

A spiky universe is a hypothetical concept in physics that suggests the universe is not smooth and uniform, but instead has sharp spikes or edges throughout it. This idea challenges the commonly accepted theory that the universe is homogenous and isotropic.

2. How would a spiky universe impact our understanding of the universe?

If a spiky universe were to exist, it would drastically change our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It would require a new set of theories and equations to explain the irregularities and sharp edges present in the universe.

3. Is there any evidence to support the idea of a spiky universe?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence to support the existence of a spiky universe. However, some scientists believe that anomalies in the cosmic microwave background radiation and the distribution of galaxies could be potential indicators of a spiky universe.

4. How would a spiky universe affect the expansion of the universe?

If a spiky universe were to exist, it could potentially affect the expansion of the universe. The sharp edges and irregularities could create variations in the expansion rate, leading to a non-uniform and unpredictable expansion.

5. What are the implications of a spiky universe for the future of cosmology?

If a spiky universe were proven to exist, it would revolutionize our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It would require a significant shift in current theories and could lead to new discoveries and advancements in cosmology.