Why Did My Pub's Cellar Temperature Rise During a Sudden Cold Snap?

In summary, the pub owner experienced a sudden drop in outside temperature, causing the beer cellar to warm up. This may have been due to a malfunction in the cooling system, which was eventually fixed. The discussion also mentions the difference in beer temperature preferences between different countries.
mufcdiver
Hi,
Something weird happened the other week and I was wondering if anyone here could explain why. I run a pub and our cellar operates at about a steady 11°c all year round (cooler assisted). The other week we were enjoying some pleasant weather for the time of year(16/17°c) then wham! in the space of about 15/20 mins the outside temp dropped to 9°c. The next thing I know someone complains that the beer is warm, I roll my eyes and to pacify them say I'll check the gas, I go to the cellar and the temp is nudging 16°c(in a heatwave[30°c] it only gets to 13°c)
So in a general physics kind of way, what went on?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know of no thernodynamic reason for this - perhaps a heater went on somewhere? Did you make sure you still had cold air coming out of the air conditioner?

I wouldn't be surprised if our Earth sciences section could easily explain this.

mufcdiver said:
Hi,
Something weird happened the other week and I was wondering if anyone here could explain why. I run a pub and our cellar operates at about a steady 11°c all year round (cooler assisted). The other week we were enjoying some pleasant weather for the time of year(16/17°c) then wham! in the space of about 15/20 mins the outside temp dropped to 9°c. The next thing I know someone complains that the beer is warm, I roll my eyes and to pacify them say I'll check the gas, I go to the cellar and the temp is nudging 16°c(in a heatwave[30°c] it only gets to 13°c)
So in a general physics kind of way, what went on?

All I know is I wish I could drink in your country (wherever it is). Here in America, people keep beer at about 2C and it's Godawful! There's no taste left when it's that cold.

TVP45
I've heard that on the east coast over there(NY) there are some pubs serving traditional English beers at 11c with all the flavour intact and Mr Beckham says you can get them now in California(though if you are in the middle[USA] it might mean quite a bus trip lol)

Mk said:
I wouldn't be surprised if our Earth sciences section could easily explain this.

Cheers MK I've posted there now too

The cold snap turned off your cooling system.
For some reason, it was slow getting back on.

1. What causes the temperature difference between the inside and outside of a building?

The temperature difference between the inside and outside of a building is caused by the heating and cooling systems inside the building. These systems work to maintain a comfortable temperature inside, regardless of the weather outside.

2. Is it more energy efficient to keep the temperature constant or to adjust it throughout the day?

It is more energy efficient to keep the temperature constant. Constantly adjusting the temperature requires more energy to heat or cool the space, whereas maintaining a constant temperature uses less energy.

3. How does insulation affect the temperature difference between inside and outside?

Insulation helps to reduce the temperature difference between inside and outside by preventing heat from escaping or entering the building. This helps to maintain a more consistent temperature and reduces the workload on heating and cooling systems.

4. Why does it feel colder inside when it's cold outside, even with the heat on?

When it's cold outside, the heat inside the building has to work harder to maintain a comfortable temperature. This can create a draft or make certain areas of the building feel colder. Additionally, if the building has poor insulation, the cold air from outside can seep in and make it feel colder inside.

5. How can I improve the temperature difference between inside and outside in my building?

To improve the temperature difference between inside and outside, you can make sure your building is properly insulated and sealed to prevent drafts. You can also regularly maintain and upgrade your heating and cooling systems to ensure they are working efficiently. Additionally, adjusting the temperature slightly and dressing appropriately for the weather can also help to improve the temperature difference.