What's with the abbreviated date/time stamp on recent posts?

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
In summary, " and nothing before it:The last couple of days, the day listed in the upper left corner of posts has been abbreviated to a single letter. So Today-->T and Yesterday-->Y.Its in response to the time stamps being put on the main forum index. Greg couldn't use the full words because with the added time stamp it'd go onto an extra line and make the
berkeman
Mentor
The last couple of days, the day listed in the upper left corner of posts has been abbreviated to a single letter. So Today-->T and Yesterday-->Y.

Physics news on Phys.org
Its in response to the time stamps being put on the main forum index. Greg couldn't use the full words because with the added time stamp it'd go onto an extra line and make the forums less aesthetically pleasing.

Do we have to use military time? My clock doesn't say 20:42. :grumpy:

To save even more space, we're actually considering removing all punctuation, run-length encoding the resulting bitstream, then converting it into base-26 place-value notation so it will display in ASCII. These ultra-short timestamps would only occupy two letters. YU would indicate midnight on January 1, 1979, for example, while GL would indicate high noon on the 27th of August, 2014. What could be simpler?

- Warren

chroot said:
To save even more space, we're actually considering removing all punctuation, run-length encoding the resulting bitstream, then converting it into base-26 place-value notation so it will display in ASCII. These ultra-short timestamps would only occupy two letters. YU would indicate midnight on January 1, 1979, for example, while GL would indicate high noon on the 27th of August, 2014. What could be simpler?

- Warren
:rofl: :rofl:

chroot said:
What could be simpler?

You could encode the timestamp into the color of a single pixel. :tongue2:
(You'd have to print it out on a good color printer to preserve that info.)

chroot said:

- Warren

:rofl:

I actually prefer military time, but that's because I keep all my lab notes in 24 hour time too, just to avoid confusion on AM and PM.

Twisting_edge always quotes time that way "at 1800 hours I went to the laundry room to get my clothes out of the dryer".

chroot said:

- Warren

Now I have another problem. I just sprayed Diet Coke all over my monitor, and the text is blurry as a result :rofl:

Moonbear said:
:rofl:

I actually prefer military time, but that's because I keep all my lab notes in 24 hour time too, just to avoid confusion on AM and PM.

You must work long days! :wink:

cristo said:
You must work long days! :wink:

Yes. I get to come back all rested from my holiday vacation just in time to help with an experiment that needs me to be at the farm at 3:30 in the morning...on the same day I have to teach from 10 AM until noon...so much for any rest I get lasting long. :rolleyes: My students will probably think I have a drinking problem when I show up all punchy from being awake all night.

What the heck? I've been without power for six days here in the midwest so I was really glad to be back. But then I saw the Ts and Ys and was going to complain. Then
Originally Posted by chroot View Post

- Warren
Now I'm laughing so hard it doesn't matter.

chroot said:

- Warren

:rofl::rofl:

There's a 'space' after the 'T' and 'Y', couldn't that 'space' be elimintated, go to 'standard' time, with maybe just a 'P' for PM, and an 'A' for AM? I don't like the military time---

My 'time' is still one hour off before I log in--is something wrong here?---my computer is set and reads right---

Evo said:
My clock doesn't say 20:42. :grumpy:

Mine does... :biggrin:

I've got one of these:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/lights/59e0/
led-binclock.jpg

1. What is an abbreviated date/time stamp?

An abbreviated date/time stamp is a shortened version of a date and time that is typically used for recording or referencing purposes. It typically includes the month, day, year, and time in a condensed format.

2. How is an abbreviated date/time stamp formatted?

The format of an abbreviated date/time stamp can vary, but it commonly follows the order of month, day, year, and time. For example, it could be written as "MM/DD/YY HH:MM" or "DD/MM/YY HH:MM."

3. What is the purpose of using an abbreviated date/time stamp?

An abbreviated date/time stamp is used to quickly and efficiently record or reference a specific date and time. It is commonly used in scientific research, data analysis, and other fields where precise time tracking is necessary.

4. How accurate is an abbreviated date/time stamp?

An abbreviated date/time stamp is only as accurate as the person recording it. It is important to ensure that the correct date, time, and time zone are included to maintain accuracy.

5. Can an abbreviated date/time stamp be converted to a full date and time?

Yes, an abbreviated date/time stamp can be converted to a full date and time by adding the missing information. However, it is important to note that the original abbreviated stamp may have been rounded or truncated, so the converted full date and time may not be entirely accurate.