Hydraulics Question: Seeking Explanation on Self-Running Machine

• Thread starter bunion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydraulics
In summary, the conversation is about a person who posted their idea for a self-running machine on a forum but did not receive much feedback. They are seeking an explanation for why their idea will not work without just being told the laws of thermodynamics. The other person responds by stating that the idea is flawed and that real calculations and understanding of physics are needed to find the flaws and pursue a more worthwhile pursuit.
bunion
Hi about 4 months back i posted my idea for a self running machine on www.overunity.com forums. Basically i had this simple idea about trying to manipulate a hydraulic system using a quadrant shape.

Sorry to post this here but I've had little feedback on overunity.com despite over 1000 views and i don't know where else to turn. I've had it explained to me by someone who worked in physics but to be honest i didnt understand the explanation properly so all I am asking is could someone please explain exactly why it won't work without just stating the laws of thermodynamics?

Here is the origional message on their forums:
http://www.overunity.com/index.php/topic,3375.0.html

Thanks
Phil

Physics news on Phys.org
The intro to your website seems to imply that you know your pursuit is doomed to failure, so I'm not sure what the point is here. In any case, we don't condone or encourage crackpot thinking here, so we don't allow such discussions. I did do a quick once-over of your site and your ideas have the usual crackpot pitfalls: you've created scenarios so complex that you are unable to find the flaws in them. That doesn't mean the flaws don't exist.

Btw, if you ever want anyone to ever even analyze your work for you, you're going to need to do real calculations to support the ideas. Ie, actually calculating forces, work, and real efficiency. "Units" is not a unit. Your calculations are essentially meaningless. Heck - if you learn the real physics it may enable you to find your mistakes faster and convince you to spend your time on a more worthwhile pursuit.

Last edited:

Hi Phil,

Thank you for reaching out and seeking an explanation for your self-running machine idea. I can understand your frustration with not receiving much feedback on the overunity.com forums.

From what I understand, your idea involves using a quadrant shape to manipulate a hydraulic system in order to create a self-running machine. While I am not an expert in hydraulics, I can try to explain why this idea may not work based on the laws of thermodynamics.

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In the case of a self-running machine, the machine would need to continuously produce energy without any external input. This would go against the first law of thermodynamics, as energy cannot be created out of nothing.

Additionally, the second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system (a system without any external input) will always increase over time. Entropy is a measure of disorder or randomness in a system. In order for your self-running machine to work, it would need to continuously decrease its entropy, which goes against the second law of thermodynamics.

In summary, while your idea may seem simple and innovative, it ultimately goes against the fundamental laws of thermodynamics. I hope this explanation helps you understand why your idea may not be feasible. Keep exploring and experimenting, and don't be discouraged by this setback. Who knows, maybe you'll come up with a new idea that does align with the laws of thermodynamics and leads to a breakthrough in the field of hydraulics. Best of luck to you.

1. How does a self-running machine work using hydraulics?

A self-running machine that uses hydraulics works by utilizing the principles of fluid mechanics. The machine is designed to have a system of pipes, valves, and cylinders filled with a liquid, usually oil or water. When the liquid is pressurized, it creates a force that is able to move the components of the machine, ultimately resulting in the machine's self-running motion.

2. What are the benefits of using hydraulics in self-running machines?

Hydraulics offer several advantages in self-running machines, including high power density, precise control, and the ability to operate at high speeds. Additionally, hydraulics are able to withstand high amounts of force and pressure, making them suitable for heavy-duty applications.

3. How do you maintain a self-running machine that uses hydraulics?

Maintenance of a self-running machine that uses hydraulics is essential to ensure its smooth operation. This includes regularly checking for leaks, replenishing fluid levels, and replacing worn-out components. It is also important to follow proper operating procedures and to keep the machine clean to prevent any damage or malfunctions.

4. Can a self-running machine using hydraulics be used in different industries?

Yes, self-running machines using hydraulics can be used in a variety of industries. They are commonly used in construction, manufacturing, mining, and agriculture, among others. The versatility and reliability of hydraulics make them suitable for a wide range of applications.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with self-running machines using hydraulics?

Yes, there are potential safety hazards when working with hydraulics, such as high-pressure fluid leaks, explosions, and crushing injuries. It is important to follow safety protocols and receive proper training before operating a self-running machine using hydraulics. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help prevent accidents and ensure the safety of workers.