Last year - physics graduation what now?

In summary, the conversation is about a physics student's concerns regarding their last year of college and choosing a topic for their course conclusion work. They are unsure of their research interests but have a preference for theoretical and non-applied physics. Suggestions are given to help narrow down their interests, such as considering the size and nature of their research, and looking at professors' websites for inspiration.
diegzumillo
last year - physics graduation.. what now??

Hello everyone, :)
Well, my last year (if I don't fail any class) is starting now. But what's really worrying me is that I need to do a 'course conclusion work/paper' (I'm pretty certain that there is a specific term in english for that :P ). The expectation is that by now I should have a good notion of what area of research I'm more interested... but I don't!
Can anyone give me some suggestion? in my college most of my professors are specialized in particle physics and similars. I also studied for a while, with an advisor, quantum chaos, so I guess that is a possibility, right?
I'm pretty lost... :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
What interested you?

To start off:

Are you interested more in big or small stuff? (i.e. black holes vs. electrons)

Are you interested more in experimental or theoretical work?

Are you interested more in applied or pure scientific fields?

These questions should help get you started. Try to answer them, and then we can see if we can narrow it down some more.

Thanks G01 :) thinking about this through these questions helps.
I have an inclination for theoretical physics, and from what i have worked so far, not applied. I don't know about big or small.. it's hard to think of physics in separated phenomenas, i'll leave this question open :)

What was your favourite class?

Look at professor's websites and see if anything that they're doing interests you.

1. What career options are available after graduating with a degree in physics?

After graduating with a degree in physics, there are a variety of career options available. Some common choices include working as a research scientist, pursuing a career in academia as a professor or researcher, or working in industries such as aerospace, defense, energy, or technology. Other options include data science, engineering, and consulting.

2. How can I make the most of my physics degree in the job market?

There are a few ways to maximize the value of your physics degree in the job market. First, gain hands-on experience through internships, research projects, or part-time jobs in your field of interest. This will make you more competitive and give you practical skills that you can apply in the workplace. Additionally, consider obtaining certifications or specialized training in a specific area of physics to demonstrate your expertise.

3. What skills do I need to excel in a career in physics?

In addition to a strong understanding of physics principles and theories, successful physicists also possess critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. They are also proficient in mathematics and computer programming, as well as communication and teamwork. Depending on your desired career path, you may also need skills in project management, data analysis, or technical writing.

4. How can I stay updated with advancements in the field of physics after graduation?

To stay updated with advancements in physics, it is important to continue learning and engaging with the scientific community. Attend conferences, seminars, and workshops related to your field of interest. Network with other physicists and join professional organizations to stay informed about new research and developments. You can also read scientific journals and publications to stay current.

5. Is a graduate degree necessary for a career in physics?

While a graduate degree can open up more opportunities in the field of physics, it is not always necessary for a career. Many entry-level positions are available for those with a bachelor's degree in physics, especially in industries such as technology and engineering. However, if you wish to pursue a career in academia or research, a graduate degree is often required. It is important to research the specific requirements for your desired career path to determine if a graduate degree is necessary.