Learn How to Implement Equations on a Breadboard | Intro to Logic Lab Help

• Thread starter gotem3303
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Breadboard
In summary, the conversation involves a student discussing their first lab in intro to logic, which involves implementing equations on a breadboard. The student is unsure about what it means to implement an equation on a breadboard and how to accomplish this task. They also discuss using AND, OR, and NOT gates to construct the equations and the importance of tying off any unused inputs to prevent adverse effects on the output of the gate. The conversation also touches on the potential issues of floating CMOS inputs and the use of PSPICE to simulate the equations.
gotem3303
So I am taking intro to logic and our first lab has to do with implementing equations on a breadboard. I understand the equations and I get how a breadboard works.
this might be a dumb question but what does it mean to implement an equation on a breadboard? do you wire it up and then make a LED light up or what?

my three equations I have to implement are:

f = x'y'z' + x'yz' + xyz + xy'z
g= x'z' + xz
h= (x' + z')(x + z')

how would you put these on a breadboard, like what am i aiming to accomplish? I am supposed to wire each one seperatly and make sure that they all behave the same way.

Engineering news on Phys.org
gotem3303 said:
So I am taking intro to logic and our first lab has to do with implementing equations on a breadboard. I understand the equations and I get how a breadboard works.
this might be a dumb question but what does it mean to implement an equation on a breadboard? do you wire it up and then make a LED light up or what?

my three equations I have to implement are:

f = x'y'z' + x'yz' + xyz + xy'z
g= x'z' + xz
h= (x' + z')(x + z')

how would you put these on a breadboard, like what am i aiming to accomplish? I am supposed to wire each one seperatly and make sure that they all behave the same way.

You can either use a logic analyzer (or a multi-channel oscilloscope) to demonstrate the IO transfer function, or yes, you could use DIP switches at the inpurs (x,y,z) and LEDs at the outputs (f,g,h) to show identical behavior. You implement those equations on the breadboard using ICs with gates inside them.

Which ICs are you going to use? What is the voltage of your power supply? What do you think you should do with any unused inputs to your logic gates?

im to use AND, OR, and NOT gates to construct those equations. I believe the voltage is 5 volts? but I am not sure about the other inputs, i thought i just could leave them unconnected.

gotem3303 said:
im to use AND, OR, and NOT gates to construct those equations. I believe the voltage is 5 volts? but I am not sure about the other inputs, i thought i just could leave them unconnected.

Nope, tie off any unused inputs either high or low. Quiz question -- how do you tie off unused inputs on the following gates so as to not affect the output of the gate adversely?

AND gate --

OR Gate --

NAND gate --

NOR gate --

no idea lol

I would review "Sum of Products" and "Product of Sums" in your class literature. There should also be a section in the book/notes that show you how to implement these two forms. Remember that an "OR" gate is represented by addition and that an "AND" gate is represented by multiplication.

berkeman said:
Nope, tie off any unused inputs either high or low. Quiz question -- how do you tie off unused inputs on the following gates so as to not affect the output of the gate adversely?

AND gate --

OR Gate --

NAND gate --

NOR gate --

That is a very good question...(to one I don't think I know if my answer is correct or not) This reminds me why I see unused parts of the chip still connected to something on schematics.

berkeman said:

AND gate --

OR Gate --

NAND gate --

NOR gate --

typically just tie the input to gnd and let the output float, at least that is what i do if I'm not using that pin. if its an AND gate then to high so you can toggle the other input to make the output high or low.

edmondng said:
typically just tie the input to gnd and let the output float, at least that is what i do if I'm not using that pin. if its an AND gate then to high so you can toggle the other input to make the output high or low.

Correct. Because:

x AND 1 = x

x OR 0 = x

berkeman, were you the one who said on this forum before that if you let the inputs float. This could confuse the gate and cause noise voltage to appear at the output of used gates.

thanks guys, i think i actually get it now. i put this thing together tomorrow in my lab so hopefully i get it. thanks for your help!

Corneo said:
berkeman, were you the one who said on this forum before that if you let the inputs float. This could confuse the gate and cause noise voltage to appear at the output of used gates.
That's correct.
How big a problem this is depends on the exact logic family being used.
It is a very important consideration for cmos parts.

Corneo said:

The two big problems with floating CMOS inputs is noise (the gate can buzz as the inputs float around between high and low), and increased Idd when the gate input floats near mid-supply (turning on both the pullup and pulldown transistors in the input stage). Bad news.

yo can use the pspice to simulte that equation by drawing those gates. Then, it'll be easy to verify what you got pratically. use some gates and hook them up to a 5v and LEDs ...good luck

berkeman said:
The two big problems with floating CMOS inputs is noise (the gate can buzz as the inputs float around between high and low), and increased Idd when the gate input floats near mid-supply (turning on both the pullup and pulldown transistors in the input stage). Bad news.

Does this cause the gate to latch up and draw a lot of current? Or just causes the signals are the used outputs to be noisy?

Corneo said:
Does this cause the gate to latch up and draw a lot of current? Or just causes the signals are the used outputs to be noisy?

No latchup, just noise and extra (and variable) Idd. To get SCR latchup, the input needs to be driven outside of the rails (like above 5V or below GND) by a diode drop or more, and the source for that drive needs to be able to supply the minimum latchup gate current. When you do get SCR latchup, though, that turns on a low impedance between Vdd and GND, and can fry the chip.

1. What is a breadboard and how does it work?

A breadboard is a tool used for prototyping and testing electronic circuits. It consists of a plastic board with holes that allow you to insert and connect electronic components without soldering. The holes are connected in a specific pattern that mimics the connections on a circuit board, allowing you to easily create and modify circuits.

2. How do I use a breadboard?

To use a breadboard, first identify the power rails on either side of the board. These are typically marked with red and blue lines. Next, insert your components into the holes on the board, making sure to follow the correct circuit diagram. Use jumper wires to connect the components together, following the pattern on the breadboard. Finally, connect the power supply to the appropriate rails to power your circuit.

3. What types of components can I use with a breadboard?

Breadboards are designed to work with most electronic components, including resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors, and integrated circuits. However, it is important to check the size and shape of the component before inserting it into the breadboard, as some larger or irregularly shaped components may not fit properly.

4. Can I reuse a breadboard?

Yes, breadboards are reusable and can be used for multiple projects. However, over time the connections in the breadboard may become loose or dirty, affecting the performance of your circuits. It is recommended to periodically clean and replace your breadboard to ensure the best results.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a breadboard?

While breadboards are generally safe to use, there are a few precautions you should take. Make sure to disconnect the power supply before making any changes to your circuit. Also, be careful not to insert components too forcefully or use excessive force when connecting jumper wires, as this can damage the breadboard. Finally, always double check your circuit connections before powering it on to avoid any potential hazards.