Fluid hydraulics question

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the problem involves using the Hazen Williams formula to determine the flowrate through each pipe in a network of pipes. The second part of the problem involves calculating the static pressure at two exit points, D and F, assuming the network is horizontal. To do this, the head loss due to friction in each pipe must be subtracted from the given static pressure at entry point A. The head loss is cumulative since the pipes are in series. The correct pipe lengths and diameters must be used in the calculations. It should not matter which direction you go around the circuit as long as you are consistent.
debwaldy

Homework Statement

Hi I am trying to solve this problem.I think i have the first part sorted but the second part of the question is throwing me.
Given the network of pipes shown below determine the flowrate through each pipe. Use the hazen williams formula with Ch = 100.
I think I have this part done correctly.
However:
If the static pressure head at the entry point A to the network is 35m find the static pressure at the two exit points D and F, assuming the network is horizontal?

Homework Equations

Hazen williams formula: hf = 12.25*10^9 L Q^1.85/((Ch^1.85)*(D^4.87))
Energy Eqn z1 + P1/rho*g = z2 + P2/rho*g

The Attempt at a Solution

I presume you use the energy equation for the second part and since the network is horizontal then the elevation heads will always cancel.Does it matter which way i go around the circuit to get to these two exit points.Do i just have to subtract the head loss due to frction from the given head to calculate the new static head.Also is this head loss accumulative because the pipes are in series?or am I way off the mark?any tips would be grately appreciated
Thanks Debs:cool:

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Debs,

It seems like you are on the right track for the second part of the problem. Since the network is horizontal, you are correct in assuming that the elevation heads will cancel out in the energy equation.

To calculate the static pressure at exit points D and F, you will need to use the Hazen Williams formula to determine the head loss due to friction in each pipe. This head loss will then need to be subtracted from the given static pressure at entry point A to calculate the static pressure at each exit point.

Since the pipes are in series, the head loss will be cumulative as you move through the network. It is important to make sure you are using the correct pipe lengths and diameters for each section of the network in your calculations.

As for which way to go around the circuit, it shouldn't matter as long as you are consistent in your calculations and using the correct pipe lengths and diameters for each section.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem solving!

I would suggest that you first review the equations and make sure you have a clear understanding of how to use them. The Hazen Williams formula is used to calculate the head loss due to friction in a pipe, while the energy equation is used to calculate the total energy at different points in a system. In this case, you are correct in assuming that the elevation heads will cancel out since the network is horizontal.

To find the static pressure at points D and F, you will need to use the energy equation. You can choose any path to get to these points, as long as you include all the relevant head losses due to friction in the pipes. The head loss is cumulative, so you will need to add up the head losses for each pipe in the path you choose.

To calculate the new static head, you will need to subtract the head loss from the given static pressure at point A. This will give you the static pressure at the exit points D and F.

I would also suggest double checking your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. If you are still having trouble, I would recommend seeking help from a tutor or classmate. Good luck with your problem!

1. What is fluid hydraulics?

Fluid hydraulics is the study of how fluids (liquids and gases) behave under various conditions, such as when they are in motion or under pressure. This field of science is used to understand and predict the behavior of fluids in engineering applications, such as in hydraulic systems, pumps, and turbines.

2. What are some real-life applications of fluid hydraulics?

Fluid hydraulics has a wide range of real-life applications, including the operation of car brakes, airplane control systems, and hydraulic lifts in construction equipment. It is also used in industrial processes like oil and gas extraction, water treatment, and chemical processing.

3. What are the basic principles of fluid hydraulics?

The basic principles of fluid hydraulics include Pascal's law, which states that pressure applied to a fluid will be transmitted equally to all directions, and Bernoulli's principle, which explains the relationship between fluid speed and pressure. Other key principles include the continuity equation, which relates fluid flow rate and velocity, and the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of fluids.

4. How is fluid hydraulics different from fluid mechanics?

Fluid hydraulics and fluid mechanics are closely related fields, but they have some key differences. Fluid hydraulics is more focused on the practical application of fluid mechanics in engineering systems, while fluid mechanics is a broader, more theoretical field that studies the properties and behavior of fluids in general. Additionally, fluid hydraulics typically deals with incompressible fluids, while fluid mechanics also includes the study of compressible fluids.

5. What are some challenges in the field of fluid hydraulics?

One of the main challenges in fluid hydraulics is accurately predicting the behavior of fluids in complex systems, such as in turbulent flow or when the fluid properties vary. Another challenge is finding ways to optimize and improve the efficiency of hydraulic systems, as they are a major source of energy consumption in many industries. Additionally, the development of new technologies, such as hydraulic fracturing in the oil and gas industry, presents new challenges for fluid hydraulics research.