Mean value theorem and indefinate intgral

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the mean value theorem in solving a problem involving a given function on the interval [-1, 1]. The participants also consider the use of the MVT for integrals, but it is determined that it is not necessary. Ultimately, the solution involves finding the largest and smallest values of the function on the given interval and substituting them into the MVT equation.
wombat4000

Homework Statement

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/7753/scan0001io9.th.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i completed the first part fine- knowing the function makes a u shape with min point being 0 and max being 1/2 at both +/- 1. i can't see how using the mean value theorem has much to do with part b) or how part a) helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the mean value theorem, substitute f(c) for f'(c) in the statement, and let b=1 and a=-1. What do you observe? Also take note that by part (a), you have already found the maximum and minimum values of f(c) in the interval [-1,1].

well from mvt f'(c)=0 which means there is a max/min between a and b - i know its a min, at (0,0). I can't see what any of this had to do with the integral or the inequality?

MVT doesn't say that f'(c) = 0. See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_value_theorem.

Write out that expression, let b=1, a=-1. And then you should realize that f(c) is constrained less than the max value and greater than the min value which you have found in (a).

but f(a) = f(b) so f'(c)=0?

What does f here refer to? Does it mean the f(x) in the question? If so, then what about F(x)? You didn't make use of that at all, which is required to solve the problem.

if you have to use an integral perhaps you should use the mvt for integrals?

No, that isn't required. The only thing required is this: [tex]f'(c) = \frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}[/tex]. And the values of min and max as stated above.

does this mean i have to integrate f(x)? if so how? i have tried substitution.

No you don't have to. In fact all you have to do is to consider what should f' and f be in the statement of the MVT in relation to this problem. You have to relate these 2 functions to F(x) and f(x) in the question.

I might be easier to just integrate each part of the inequality produced in a) between -1 and 1.

It certainly is not necessary to actually integrate f.

The mean value theorem says that there exist c between a and b such that
[tex]\frac{F(b)- F(a)}{b- a}= F'(c)[/tex]

You know that F'(x)= f(x) and from (a) you know the largest and smallest values of f on [-1, 1]. Put those in for F'(c).

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that for any continuous function on a closed interval, there exists a point within the interval where the slope of the tangent line to the curve at that point is equal to the average slope of the curve on the interval.

2. How is the Mean Value Theorem used in calculus?

The Mean Value Theorem is used to prove many important results in calculus, such as the existence of antiderivatives and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. It is also used to find the maximum and minimum values of a function on an interval.

3. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is an antiderivative of a function, or a family of functions whose derivatives are equal to the original function. It is written as ∫f(x) dx and represents the set of all possible antiderivatives of f(x).

4. How is the indefinite integral related to the Mean Value Theorem?

The indefinite integral is related to the Mean Value Theorem through the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that the definite integral of a function can be evaluated by finding an antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the endpoints of the interval. This is possible because of the relationship between the definite integral and the indefinite integral.

5. Can the Mean Value Theorem be used for all functions?

No, the Mean Value Theorem can only be applied to functions that are continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval. If a function does not meet these criteria, the Mean Value Theorem cannot be used to find the point where the tangent line is equal to the average slope of the curve.