Does this work. Matrices

In summary, for any invertible matrix A, (A^{-1})^TA^T=I and A^T(A^{-1})^T=I. From this, it can be deduced that AT is invertible and its inverse is the transpose of A^{-1}. Furthermore, if A is symmetric, then A^{-1} is also symmetric.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

(a) Show that for any invertible matrix A,

[itex](A^{-1})^TA^T=I[/itex] and [itex]A^T(A^{-1})^T=I[/itex]

(b) Deduce that AT is invertible and that its inverse is the transpose of [itex]A^{-1}[/itex]

(c) Deduce also that if A is symmetric then A-1 is also symmetric.

Homework Equations

(AB)T=BTAT

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) If A is invertible,

[itex]AA^{-1}=A^{-1}A=I[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow (AA^{-1})^T=I^T[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow (AA^{-1})^T=I[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow (A^{-1})^TA^T=I[/itex]

Now for part (b) and (c)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that works GREAT! Doesn't that make b) pretty easy?

Dick said:
Yes, that works GREAT! Doesn't that make b) pretty easy?

Oh yeah. I guess it kind of takes care of it right? Since this last line [itex](A^{-1})^TA^T=I[/itex] is the definition of an Inverse? That, is: if AB=BA=I then B=A^{-1}

So I also have to show, somehow, that [itex]A^T(A^{-1})^T=I[/itex] as well?

Saladsamurai said:
Oh yeah. I guess it kind of takes care of it right? Since this last line [itex](A^{-1})^TA^T=I[/itex] is the definition of an Inverse? That, is: if AB=BA=I then B=A^{-1}

So I also have to show, somehow, that [itex]A^T(A^{-1})^T=I[/itex] as well?

The definition does say 'if AB=BA=I'. So you'd better show both. There's nothing hard about it.

Dick said:
The definition does say 'if AB=BA=I'. So you'd better show both. There's nothing hard about it.
If A is invertible, [itex]AA^{-1}=A^{-1}A=I[/itex][itex]\Rightarrow A^{-1}A=I[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow (A^{-1}A)^T=I^T[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow (A^{-1}A)^T=I[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow A^T(A^{-1})^T=I[/itex]

Alright-then :smile:

Now how about part (c). . . Deduce also that if A is symmetric then A-1 is also symmetric.

If A is symmetric, A=AT and if A-1 is symmetric, A-1=(A-1)T

Let me think for a minute here...

Remember:

[tex](\mathbf{A}^\mathrm{T})^{-1} = (\mathbf{A}^{-1})^\mathrm{T}[/tex]

dirk_mec1 said:
Remember:

[tex](\mathbf{A}^\mathrm{T})^{-1} = (\mathbf{A}^{-1})^\mathrm{T}[/tex]

Is this a property of matrices, or just of exponents in general? Is this just saying that exponents can 'commute'? Sorry if that seems like a stupid question :redface:

:smile:

Saladsamurai said:
Is this a property of matrices, or just of exponents in general? Is this just saying that exponents can 'commute'? Sorry if that seems like a stupid question :redface:

It's a property of the transpose of matrices I think you need it here.

Saladsamurai said:

No, you can't 'commute' everything that's written as a superscript. But you have already shown that [tex]A^T(A^{-1})^T=I[/tex]. That means that the second matrix is the inverse of the first. The inverse of the first is [tex](A^T)^{-1}[/tex]. It's pretty easy to show for powers as well.

1. How do I know if a matrix is valid for a certain operation?

To determine if a matrix is valid for a certain operation, you must check its dimensions. For addition and subtraction, the matrices must have the same number of rows and columns. For multiplication, the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix.

2. What is the difference between a square and non-square matrix?

A square matrix has an equal number of rows and columns, whereas a non-square matrix has a different number of rows and columns. Square matrices are used for certain operations, such as finding determinants and inverses, while non-square matrices are used for other operations, such as solving systems of linear equations.

3. Can a matrix have a zero determinant?

Yes, a matrix can have a zero determinant. This means that the matrix is not invertible and therefore has no inverse. Matrices with a zero determinant are called singular matrices.

4. What is the identity matrix?

The identity matrix is a square matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else. When multiplied by another matrix, the identity matrix leaves the matrix unchanged. It is similar to the number 1 in regular multiplication.

5. How do I perform matrix operations on a calculator?

To perform matrix operations on a calculator, you must first enter the matrices into the calculator. Then, use the appropriate buttons or menu options to select the desired operation. Make sure to check the dimensions of the matrices before performing the operation to ensure compatibility.