Calculating the coefficient of friction of a car going down a ramp

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment in which a hot wheels car is rolled down a length of wood at varying angles to investigate the effects on the coefficient of friction. However, the recorded times result in negative coefficients of friction, indicating a problem with the experiment. It is suggested that the experiment may not be suitable for measuring coefficients of kinetic friction and alternative methods are proposed.
rhufeo
I designed this lab for my physics class where we roll a hot wheels car down a length of wood that measured 1 m long. we did this process three times at varying angles and we want to investigate how changing the angle affects the coefficient of friction. The problem is, the times that we recorded end up giving us negative coefficients of friction! Whats our problem?!

For example. we recorded that at 20 degrees, the car took 0.75 seconds to travel the 1 m of wood. Using the calculations we get this:

1 m = 1/2(acceleration)(0.75 seconds)^2
a = 3.56 m/s^2

coefficient of friction = (((9.8 m/s^2)(sin20))-3.56 m/s^2) / ((9.8)(cos 20))
coefficient of friction = -0.0226

help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, we have a problem here. The predicted acceleration in the absence of friction is indeed 9.8sin20 = 3.35 m/s^2, which is LESS than the empirically obtained acceleration which occurred in the presence of friction.

So how should i fix this? The lab is supposed to investigate the properties of friction.

I could be way off here, because it's been a while since I looked at "rolling without slipping", but that's probably what's occurring here (look it up). So, maybe you really need to re-evaluate your experiment. Is friction even opposing the motion of the cars? I would say no, because two surfaces are NOT sliding relative to each other. On the contrary, there is enough friction to prevent any sliding between the wheels and the ramp (hence "without slipping" -- the wheels maintain traction). Instead, at every instant, the wheel "pivots" around the point on its circumference that can be can be considered to be in contact with the ramp, and that propels it forward. So there is in fact a forward pointing friction force in this situation. I hope somebody else who has a better handle on rolling without slipping can comment and explain the situation more clearly. If what I'm thinking is true, then using rolling cars is not a good choice for an experiment that's designed to use sliding objects on a ramp to calculate coefficients of friction.

Which angle are you specifying- relative to the horizontal or the vertical?

rhufeo said:
So how should i fix this? The lab is supposed to investigate the properties of friction.

For rolling objects downhill, the acceleration works out to be ~ g times tan theta (for small angles). For an angle of 20 degres that will be 9.8 x .36397 = 3.56 which is exactly what you recorded. As cepheid has already pointed out, the setup you are using is not very useful for measuring coefficients of kinetic friction. What you might do is change the name of your project, and demonstrate rolling acceleration, or you might consider using some sort of ski-like object to slide down the incline.

1. How do you calculate the coefficient of friction of a car going down a ramp?

The coefficient of friction can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. In the case of a car going down a ramp, the force of friction can be determined by measuring the braking force required to keep the car at a constant speed, and the normal force can be calculated by multiplying the car's weight by the sine of the angle of the ramp.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the coefficient of friction for a car going down a ramp?

Calculating the coefficient of friction can help determine the amount of force needed to stop or slow down a car on a ramp. This can be useful for designing and implementing safe braking systems for vehicles traveling on inclined surfaces.

3. Can the coefficient of friction change on different types of ramps?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can vary depending on the surface of the ramp. For example, a car may have a higher coefficient of friction on a rough concrete ramp compared to a smooth metal ramp.

4. How does the weight of the car affect the coefficient of friction on a ramp?

The weight of the car affects the normal force, which is a component of the calculation for the coefficient of friction. As the weight of the car increases, the normal force also increases, resulting in a higher coefficient of friction.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the coefficient of friction on a ramp?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the coefficient of friction on a ramp, such as the condition of the ramp surface, the type and condition of the car's tires, and the speed of the car. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the coefficient of friction.