Thin Rod + Poncual Charge Find Vb-Va

• Thread starter co_life04
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge Rod
In summary, we are given a thin rod with a linear density of 50*10^-9C/m and a ponctal charge of Q=10*10^-9 located at (-1m,0m). We are asked to find Vb-Va given two points A at (0m,-5m) and B at (0m,0m). Using the equations E=k|Q|/r^2 and E*d=V, we can calculate the Vb-Va for the rod and the charge separately and then subtract them to find the final answer.
co_life04
Thin Rod + Poncual Charge... Find Vb-Va

Homework Statement

A thin "rod" of 10 m is located between (0m,4m) and (0m,14m). Its linear density is 50*10^-9C/m. Also, there is a ponctal charge of Q=10*10^-9 located at (-1m,0m).
Given 2 points:
A at (0m,-5m)
B at (0m,0m)
Find Vb-Va.

Homework Equations

E=k|Q|/r^2
E*d=V
some integrals...

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, this seems like a tricky one, does it not?
I know I could use Vb-Va = Integral of : E*s, possibly with s=5
But then, I would have a Vb-Va for the rod, would I have to also calculate the Vb-Va due to the poncyal charge and then sum these 2? This is what I would have done during an exam, though I'm really not sure it'd be good, would it?

Thanks for any help you can provide... believe me, I,ve tried it a couple of times before posting here.:wink:

Physics news on Phys.org

Ok, so I've tried something, not sure though...
I could separate the question in finding :
-Vb : Vb-from the rog + Vb from the charge
-Va : Va-from the rog + Va from the charge
And then simply substract...is this it? I am not sure but i just think it could...

Thanks for helping

I managed to find a number, but as I do not have the answer key, i can't tell if it's good. So if somebody is able to do it, maybe then we could compare our answers :)
this would be really appreciated

1. What is a thin rod and poncual charge?

A thin rod is a long and slender object with a uniform cross-section. A poncual charge, also known as a point charge, is a charged particle with a negligible size.

2. How is the potential difference (Vb-Va) calculated for a thin rod and poncual charge system?

The potential difference between two points in an electric field is the work done per unit charge in moving from one point to another. In this system, the potential difference (Vb-Va) is calculated using the formula Vb-Va = kQ/(b-a), where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the poncual charge, b is the distance from the point charge to the end of the rod, and a is the distance from the point charge to the starting point of the rod.

3. Can the potential difference (Vb-Va) be negative?

Yes, the potential difference (Vb-Va) can be negative. This indicates that the electric potential decreases from point a to point b. It is important to note that the direction of the potential difference is from higher potential to lower potential.

4. What factors can affect the potential difference (Vb-Va) in this system?

The potential difference (Vb-Va) in this system can be affected by the magnitude of the point charge, the distance between the point charge and the rod, and the length and charge distribution of the rod.

5. What are some practical applications of a thin rod and poncual charge system?

This system is commonly used in electrostatic experiments and demonstrations. It can also be used in the design of electrical components, such as capacitors and sensors. In addition, the concept of potential difference is essential in understanding the flow of electricity in circuits and the behavior of charged particles in electric fields.