Schottky diodes and the Shockley-Haynes experiment

In summary, the conversation is about measuring the drift velocity of holes in n-type Germanium using the Shockley-Haynes technique. The collector is negatively biased and the emitter is forward biased to emit holes. The question is whether the metal point contacts used in this technique are Schottky diodes and how to measure their voltage-current characteristics. The discussion also touches on the possibility of creating Schottky barriers with light to moderate doping in the metal-semiconductor interface.
loonychune
I'm measuring the drift velocity of holes in n-type Germanium using the Shockley-Haynes technique. Two metal point contacts are placed some distance apart on a germanium bar. The collector is negative biased owing to it being connected to a 9V battery. The emitter is connected to a pulse generator and a positive pulse is applied which forward biases the emitter (to emit holes).

My question is, are the point contacts Schottky diodes? I'm thinking they are just by virtue of there being a metal-semiconductor interface.

How might I go about measuring the voltage current characteristics of the diode, if indeed the point contacts are Schottky diodes?

The following report is what has got me thinking about this. Am i automatically setting up a Schottky barrier?

http://cantab.jkut.com/Mobility of carriers in semiconductors.pdf

ps. i don't believe this constitutes a 'homework' question but if it needs moving then please do.

Physics news on Phys.org
A metal semiconductor interface could produce a Schottky diode, or just an Ohmic contact. It depends on the doping level. When devices are fabricated, heavy doping is used in the region of a conductor to establish an Ohmic, i.e. non-rectifying contact. With light to moderate doping, a Schottky barrier can be created.

A bjt, for example, uses heavy doping in the silicon regions adjoining the metal leads to avoid rectifying junction behavior. Otherwise, the collector and emitter leads would form Schottkys with the silicon that point in opposite directions. No current would flow as one of the diodes would always be reverse biased.

Does this help any?

Claude

There is, soldered to each end of the germanium bar, two OHMIC contacts. A 'sweeping' electric field pulse is applied across the bar using the ohmic contacts. The actual emitter and collector contacts (essentially two metal pins) are partially rectifying and usually represented as diodes. Does 'partially rectifying' constitute a Schottky diode?

I think that the emitter is forward biased and the collector reversed biased so that we can detect the minority carriers (holes) at the collector.

I want to measure the current flowing through one of these point contcacts with respect to voltage and probably should see something like the standard voltage-current characteristic diagram for a diode.

In a similar experiment, you see, someone talks about the contacts being Shottky diodes... I'm wondering if, because I'm reverse biasing one contact with a battery, i have shottky diodes or two pieces of metal which just happen to allow things through in one direction (because of the battery etc.)

1. What is a Schottky diode?

A Schottky diode is a semiconductor device that is composed of a metal-semiconductor junction, typically made of a metal such as platinum or gold and a semiconductor material such as silicon. It is named after its inventor, Walter Schottky, and is commonly used as a rectifier in electronic circuits.

2. How does a Schottky diode work?

A Schottky diode works by allowing current to flow in only one direction, from the metal side to the semiconductor side. This is due to the difference in work functions between the metal and semiconductor materials, creating a barrier that allows the flow of current in one direction but not the other.

3. What is the Shockley-Haynes experiment?

The Shockley-Haynes experiment was a scientific experiment conducted in 1938 by William Shockley and Robert Haynes. It involved measuring the voltage-current characteristics of a Schottky diode, which led to the discovery of the Schottky effect and the development of the first transistor.

4. What is the Schottky effect?

The Schottky effect is the phenomenon observed in Schottky diodes where the current-voltage characteristics are nonlinear and exhibit a rectifying behavior. This effect is caused by the difference in work functions between the metal and semiconductor materials, which creates a barrier for the flow of current in one direction.

5. What are the applications of Schottky diodes?

Schottky diodes have various applications in electronic circuits, including as rectifiers, voltage clamps, and voltage limiters. They are also commonly used in high-frequency applications due to their fast switching speeds and low forward voltage drop. Additionally, Schottky diodes are used in power supplies, solar panels, and microwave communication systems.