Sensitive Eyes? Solutions for Photoshoots with Flash

• Thread starter waht
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eyes
In summary, many people have experienced the issue of closing their eyes involuntarily when having their picture taken due to the flash of the camera. This could be a reaction to being startled or a reflexive response to the bright light. Some suggestions to help with this issue include wearing sunglasses or reducing the exposure time on the camera. Some cameras also have a red eye reduction feature that can help prevent this problem. Other creative solutions include shining a flashlight in your eyes before the photo is taken or simply asking people to turn off the red eye reduction feature on their camera. Ultimately, it may be difficult to completely avoid this issue, but there are ways to minimize its occurrence.
waht
Whenever I have my picture taken, the flash of the camera blinds me. I close my eyes as a result (involuntarily) and come out with the eyes closed in the photograph while other people in the same picture maintain open eyes. This happens all the time.

Is there any way to help this situation?

Physics news on Phys.org
It might also be a reaction to being startled.

Welcome to my club! My family has many photos of me, from the time I was very little, with my eyes closed.

wear sun glasses and close your eyes?

Evo said:
It might also be a reaction to being startled.

I usually try to smile when posing.

hypatia said:
Welcome to my club! My family has many photos of me, from the time I was very little, with my eyes closed.

what did you do about it?

tim_lou said:
wear sun glasses and close your eyes?

what about without the sun glasses?

You could crazy glue your eyes open.

The picture is supposed to be taken the exact instant there is a flash, so your eye muscle reflexes must be extreme. Try lowering exposure time on the camera, and in the same time decreasing (or was it increasing?) f-stop.

Happens to me too. Takes me ages to get a picture of me without my eyes closed if I'm doing it myself so its nothing to do with startling with me. I don't know if there is much that can be done.

some cameras have a redeye reducer that sends out a flash just before the photo flash. it makes your eyeballs jump.

Just tell people to shut off red eye reduction so that there's only one flash.

Shine a flashlight in your eyes moments before the photo is taken. Then the camera flash should not be such a surprise to your retinae.

1. What causes sensitivity in the eyes during photoshoots with flash?

The main cause of sensitivity in the eyes during photoshoots with flash is the bright and intense light emitted by the flash. This can be particularly bothersome for individuals who already have sensitive eyes or who wear contact lenses.

2. How can I prevent sensitivity in my eyes during a photoshoot with flash?

One way to prevent sensitivity in your eyes during a photoshoot with flash is to use a diffuser on your flash. This will help to soften the light and reduce the intensity of the flash. Additionally, taking breaks in between shots and avoiding looking directly at the flash can also help to minimize eye sensitivity.

3. Are there any specific eye drops or solutions that can help with sensitivity during photoshoots?

Yes, there are eye drops specifically designed for individuals with sensitive eyes. These drops can help to soothe and moisturize the eyes, reducing any discomfort or irritation caused by the flash. It is recommended to consult with an eye doctor before using any eye drops to ensure they are safe for your specific needs.

4. Can wearing sunglasses during a photoshoot with flash help with sensitivity?

While wearing sunglasses may seem like a quick solution to reducing eye sensitivity during a photoshoot with flash, it is not recommended. Sunglasses can alter the color and lighting of the photos, making it difficult for the photographer to capture the desired image. It is better to use other methods such as a diffuser or taking breaks to prevent eye sensitivity.

5. What are some long-term solutions for individuals with chronic eye sensitivity during photoshoots with flash?

If you frequently experience sensitivity in your eyes during photoshoots with flash, it is important to consult with an eye doctor. They can provide a comprehensive eye exam and determine the underlying cause of your sensitivity. In some cases, they may recommend using prescription eye drops or wearing glasses with a blue light filter to reduce sensitivity and protect your eyes. Additionally, taking regular breaks and avoiding direct exposure to the flash can also help in the long run.